What is your favorite B&W film and why?

Guest darkstar2004

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have returned to B&W after years of shooting Kodachrome in a variety of Japanese SLR's. Since returning to Leica rangefinder cameras I have exclusively used B&W. Ilford FP4 and HP5- Kodak BW400CN and Fuji Neopan 400CN. Had some difficulty with green toning on the Kodak film but after advise from Fuji Labs CC Imaging Ltd - Welcome I asked the processor to re-print and they are fine. Haven't gone all the way back to processing my own yet as I have not done that for 25 years, but, I just might invest as it is the only way to get real images. Who ever penned this thread has stimulated a very healthy discussion full of invaluable information- Thank you

Haven't gone all the way back to processing my own yet as I have not done that for 25 years, but, I just might invest as it is the only way to get real images.

Oh yes, I´m going back to developing film after a digital dark age. I only wish I had room for making prints as well.

Oh yes, I´m going back to developing film after a digital dark age. I only wish I had room for making prints as well.

I know what you mean about space but our daughter has now grown up and flown the nest so that room might be a possibility. Certainly, B&W processing requires far less gear than colour, which I have never contemplated trying. For colour reversal I will stick to good old Kodachrome

• 2 weeks later...
New type round corners of the bottles too and exactly the Rodinal dilutions now: 1+25, 1+50 etc.

Efke single layers film are doing well in Para-Amino Phenol. R09 or Rodinal.

Robert - so same dilution for R09 as Rodinal now and similar dev time?

• 2 months later...

I have so far only shot one roll of Fuji Acros but I simply love it. I'm waiting for some nicer weather so I can shoot the other rolls that I have and when they are done, I'm ordering a lot more.

I also printed in my new wet darkroom some 8x10's from my first roll of Acros - again: I'm inpressed - simply beautiful results. I developed the film in D76 for 13 minutes at 18C.