M-v-R System?

kenneth

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Apart from the different view finder concepts and limitations in focal lenghts for the M, my advice would be to check the feeling of the options in the hand as well.

Since I have quite large hands (glove size 10, not sure, whether you use the same system), lots of cameras are simply too small in my paddles for relaxed operation.

It seems, this is not only a question of size. The M3 feels good in my hands, I had to add the Leica Protector (Leica's idea of an Luigi halfcase) to the (slightly larger) M8 to make it feel right. During the One Challenge, I could try a R8/R9 with DMR which is just the perfect tool, especially, if one happens to have large hands.

For the same reason I bought a rather large watch in 1994. Somewhere on it's dial, one can even read the actual time ;)

Modell 144 GMT St - Sinn Spezialuhren zu Frankfurt am Main

In case someone gets interested - there are very few dealers, the best is to buy the watch directly from the factory in Frankfurt...

Well, whatever option it will be, I'm confident you will enjoy it.

Stefan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both M and R and I love both for very different reasons.

The sad part is that I run my own business with no help, My wife is a Trademark Lawyer (She registered the AFLAC Duck) and we have a 12 year old girl and an 11 year old boy, so there is more tome to look at my equipment than to actually use it.

That said, Leica Photography is my one outlet from work and being a husband and a Father. However,when all is said and done, my legacy will not be my photography (I own equipment that is far better than my talent), it will be how my children turn out,

Thank you one and all. As mentioned earlier I bit the bullet this week and reached deeper into my pocket and bought an M6ttl+ 35mm Summicrom-M asph. I guess it is the camera I have always wanted. I had an M3 years ago and loved it, albeit, I think Leica lenses in those days were not to my liking and I reverted back to Nikon. I also had an R3 which had great optics but the camera always felt bulky. With having a lifelong passion for mountaineering and climbing I am aware of the great heritage of Leica M users in that field of photography so I do feel that I have made the right choice and I look forward to taking delivery of it next week. Thank you again for all your input

Do consider one of the wide VC lenses to complement your system - they are excellent.

As for watches Ive recently taken to using a pocket watch, it also works as a phone, mp3 player, web browser and - get this - a camera! Its made by Sony Ericsson. Keeps perfect time by the way:D

James-

" you quote-As for watches Ive recently taken to using a pocket watch, it also works as a phone, mp3 player, web browser and - get this - a camera! Its made by Sony Ericsson. Keeps perfect time by the way"

It seems an anathema that on one hand your value and appreciate the fine precision engineering offered by Leica Cameras but on the other hand mass produced micro electronic equipment.

I did have a Nokia phone in the late 80's, a Nokia Mobiera City-man, or half brick as they were affectionately known but I have no use for one nowadays.

I'm sure you will really enjoy your M6TTL and 35ASPH. With landscapes, I've found longer lenses -- especially the 50 and even 90 can be effective, too. You can check out some of my landscapes at David Killick, Freelance Journalist and Photographer, New Zealand.

As for watches, I reckon some of the German mechanical watches are very "Leica-like". Have you checked out Stowa or Limes, for example? You may enjoy German watches - Watchuseek Watch Forums

Cheers,

David

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It seems an anathema that on one hand your value and appreciate the fine precision engineering offered by Leica Cameras but on the other hand mass produced micro electronic equipment.

Kenneth, that seems perfectly natural to me.

I wear a Baume & Mercier Riviera GMT, and carry a Samsung Blackjack smartphone. I use a Leica IID and a Canon G7. I watch HDTV, and listen to DAB radio, but I write with a Montblanc Meisterstuck Traveller Platinum pencil in a Moleskine notebook.

It's practicality not dichotomy.

Regards,

Bill

Apart from the different view finder concepts and limitations in focal lenghts for the M, my advice would be to check the feeling of the options in the hand as well.

Since I have quite large hands (glove size 10, not sure, whether you use the same system), lots of cameras are simply too small in my paddles for relaxed operation.

It seems, this is not only a question of size. The M3 feels good in my hands, I had to add the Leica Protector (Leica's idea of an Luigi halfcase) to the (slightly larger) M8 to make it feel right.

For the same reason I bought a rather large watch in 1994. Somewhere on it's dial, one can even read the actual time ;)

Modell 144 GMT St - Sinn Spezialuhren zu Frankfurt am Main

You've missed another Frankfurt (with a little help from Japan) made highlight in 1994:

the Jumbo Leica Plaubel Makina 67, ideally matching larger glove seizes:D

I'm sure you will really enjoy your M6TTL and 35ASPH. With landscapes, I've found longer lenses -- especially the 50 and even 90 can be effective, too. You can check out some of my landscapes at David Killick, Freelance Journalist and Photographer, New Zealand.

As for watches, I reckon some of the German mechanical watches are very "Leica-like". Have you checked out Stowa or Limes, for example? You may enjoy German watches - Watchuseek Watch Forums

Cheers,

David

Thank you I must say I am looking forward to getting it. I am also considering Voigtlander 75mm f2.5 Colour Heliar as my bank account is still reeling from my last purchase so I cannot even consider the Leica Summicron 75mm. I hear good reports about this lens and as it will only receive limited use, to put more punch into mountain landscapes, I wondered if I might be happy with it.

Re Watches. The new Bell & Ross Chronograph with a champagne face looks very nice but my two watches are enough for me. My wife does not understand why I need 2 and I am afraid she is right I don't.

I haven't tried the Voigtländer 75, but the brand doe look good value. A good old 50 Summicron will also stand you in good stead.

Watches, like cameras and lenses, look dangerously addictive! But I feel it's a source of satisfaction to own even a few products that are superbly made and that will last a lifetime. How many do you need? That's when it gets tricky!

Of course, you can rationalize your purchases by saying you are supporting artisans and craftsmen who are paid a decent rate -- not faceless multinationals exploiting the cheapest possible labour to produce shoddy goods that just fall apart.

James-

" you quote-As for watches Ive recently taken to using a pocket watch, it also works as a phone, mp3 player, web browser and - get this - a camera! Its made by Sony Ericsson. Keeps perfect time by the way"

I did have a Nokia phone in the late 80's, a Nokia Mobiera City-man, or half brick as they were affectionately known but I have no use for one nowadays.

Indeed, I also use e mail in preference to carrier pigeon and pay for stuff with a plastic card instead of writing cheques all the time.:D

C'mon you guys...what's all this Rolex/Omega crap...ante up for a real watch.

At 88,000 Euros this is the watch to wear with your lizard-skin M6: Minute repeater / Complications / Blancpain - Blancpain

I agree, Blancpain make a superb movement and a minute repeater is a fascinating complication. I was shown the JLC equivalent when I bought my Reverso but to be honest I could not imagine having that kind of money to spend on a wristwatch, and also, I like simplicity in all things. my JLC keeps very accurate time if I wind it up every day and that's it

I agree, Blancpain make a superb movement and a minute repeater is a fascinating complication. I was shown the JLC equivalent when I bought my Reverso but to be honest I could not imagine having that kind of money to spend on a wristwatch, and also, I like simplicity in all things. my JLC keeps very accurate time if I wind it up every day and that's it

I got a Breitling for my 21st birthday, and its been on my wrist practically everyday since, It is one of the three (material) things I have coveted all my adult life, about three years later I managed number 2, a Leica M3, these two have 3 things in common :-

1. they are completely mechanical

2. they are still working and in regular use 40 years later, in the case of the M3 producing 'better' pictures because of advances in film.

3. they are worth more than was paid for them, even accounting for inflation

Try that with the electronic stuff, and yes I have had quite a few of those including Leica R (to get it back on topic!) and there are still a few in the cupboard (NOT Leica R!) which get regular use. 'Collecting' electronic gizmos is an expensive hobby!

Oh yes, number 3 was a Porsche 911, price wise a bit out of league with the other two and it doesn't look like I will make that one unless we win the lottery:(

Gerry

I got a Breitling for my 21st birthday, and its been on my wrist practically everyday since, It is one of the three (material) things I have coveted all my adult life, about three years later I managed number 2, a Leica M3, these two have 3 things in common :-

1. they are completely mechanical

2. they are still working and in regular use 40 years later, in the case of the M3 producing 'better' pictures because of advances in film.

3. they are worth more than was paid for them, even accounting for inflation

Try that with the electronic stuff, and yes I have had quite a few of those including Leica R (to get it back on topic!) and there are still a few in the cupboard (NOT Leica R!) which get regular use. 'Collecting' electronic gizmos is an expensive hobby!

Oh yes, number 3 was a Porsche 911, price wise a bit out of league with the other two and it doesn't look like I will make that one unless we win the lottery:(

Gerry

At last someone has got the essence of my original post. It's about quality and attention to detail, craftsmanship and and celebration of human skills . It is about longevity and simplicity and last but not least it is about been able to own and enjoy a product for many years and when I die our daughter would still be able to benefit through the sale of the item.

And yes I would second your choice of motor car. Another iconic product which has stood the test of time and not found to be wanting

To respond to your original post...though I can agree to some degree that a Leica (for example) has better build quality thank, say the Canon digital I now use....

....I would dearly hope that when I am dead and gone that I am remembered for the images I made than the fact that I owned a 'Leica'.

I used to buy into this....and you know what?...now that I am past the midway point of my life I have far better things to do than worry about whether the camera ( car/watch), whose actual production I had nothing to to with, is an heirloom quality item.

I used to...worry about this...in fact I remember the days when I felt quite the 'dashing man about town' driving around in my Alfa Romeo...nowadays my Toyota minivan gets me to the same places, a whole lot cheaper and leaves me more cash to spend on travel/quality time with my family.