Sl2 system error

Gavin Cato

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Mikko Kankainen said:

Imho high priority for Leica would be to set up some professional program (CPS like) that would cost like 100-200€ a year that would include a loaner as a backup for pros or others if something happens during a repair trip

This. They used to have one but it somehow disappeared.

• 5 months later...

Well - this happened again today while I was checking kit in advance of an upcoming job.  Initially, it looked as if it was a permanent error.  I contacted Leica Service in the UK and they were super helpful, but had no loan bodies available and advised that the camera would have to go back to Leica and there's a 10-12 week turn round.  Despite having a backup SL2 body + M10-R so I was not going to be completely stuck, this was seriously annoying.  However, ever the optimist, I thought I'd use my advanced computer trouble shooting skills and see what I could do.  My core approach was turn it off, leave it, and see what happened 🙂 

More precisely, the sequence for the interim solution has been:

1. Remove lens
  2. Remove battery
  3. Remove all SD cards
  4. Leave for an hour
  5. Replace battery with a different, freshly charged one
  6. Replace SD card with a different one that’s been formatted in my second SL2
  7. COMPLETELY reset the camera
  8. Reinstall profiles from backup
  9. Replace lens

For the moment, the camera seems to be performing perfectly normally.  I’ll make sure I’ve got back up for the upcoming jobs I have in the diary and keep my fingers crossed.

I hope this will be useful for others.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, chris_tribble said:

Well - this happened again today while I was checking kit in advance of an upcoming job.  Initially, it looked as if it was a permanent error.  I contacted Leica Service in the UK and they were super helpful, but had no loan bodies available and advised that the camera would have to go back to Leica and there's a 10-12 week turn round.  Despite having a backup SL2 body + M10-R so I was not going to be completely stuck, this was seriously annoying.  However, ever the optimist, I thought I'd use my advanced computer trouble shooting skills and see what I could do.  My core approach was turn it off, leave it, and see what happened 🙂 

More precisely, the sequence for the interim solution has been:

1. Remove lens
  2. Remove battery
  3. Remove all SD cards
  4. Leave for an hour
  6. Replace SD card with a different one that’s been formatted in my second SL2
  7. COMPLETELY reset the camera
  8. Reinstall profiles from backup
  9. Replace lens

For the moment, the camera seems to be performing perfectly normally.  I’ll make sure I’ve got back up for the upcoming jobs I have in the diary and keep my fingers crossed.

I hope this will be useful for others.

Sound like a thoroughly reset of the camera. Clearly, Leica can and likely would, go deeper, having access to internal memory and the processor. But this is as good as we, as users, can do.

Please report back regarding the status. Yes, this procedure is something to be aware of. 

8 minutes ago, helged said:

Sound like a thoroughly reset of the camera. Clearly, Leica can and likely would, go deeper, having access to internal memory and the processor. But this is as good as we, as users, can do.

Please report back regarding the status. Yes, this procedure is something to be aware of. 

I will report.  I've got a major job coming up so it will have a good chance for a workout (or a failure 😗)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gavin Cato said:

unfortunately for me when this happened battery out for over 24hrs, and turning on without any SD cards still gave system error. And no way to reset the camera as you couldn't get into the menus.

This was my fear. I’m still concerned obviously and will get the camera back to Leica as soon as I can. @Gavin Cato, I know this is too late to help you, but I now realise there was one step I missed.  This was that I used a compressed air duster to thoroughly clean the SD slots and cleaned the terminals on the SD cards.  So the sequence should read:

1. Remove lens
  2. Remove battery
  3. Remove all SD cards
  4. Leave for an hour
  6. Clean SD slots with compressed air
  7. Clean the terminals on SD cards
  8. Replace SD card with a different and cleaned one that’s been formatted in my second SL2
  9. COMPLETELY reset the camera
  10. Reinstall profiles from backup
  11. Replace lens
  12. KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED 🫤
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just returned from a trip to Svalbard - Jan Mayen - Iceland - Faroer back to Norway and Germany with my Leica equipment (SL2 / 100-400 and Q3 to stay within the limit of 8 kg for cabin-luggage). First day and first shot in Svalbard my SL2 showed "system error"..... all things to bring life back to the SL2 failed (battery, sd-card......). Email to Wetzlar... they told me that this is a shutter defect, nothing else would work than sending the SL2 to Leica for repair. So all of the about 700 photos had to be done with my Q3 (amazing !!!!) and together with about 120 passengers on the Hurtigrouten expeditions with Sony, Nikon, Canon I was the only guy to do whale watching with 28mm 😵‍💫... For a few days I considered to sell all of my SL2 equipment back at Germany, to keep the other stuff (M11, M10M, Q3) and to buy Nikon Z8, but........ there is a feeling, that I won't be happy with this decision... The SL2 is at Leica now, I will stay with my SL and stay a "Leica-guy". The Nikon Z8 had already two product recalls if I´m right - so quality is not only a problem for Leica 😂

The Q3 delivered 100 percent, most of the time 28mm was the right choice - only wale-watching and a arctic fox was a challenge...

Whale watching with 28mm - thank you Leica for the 60 mp....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Ah well - I took the vulnerable body to a major event assignment this evening and it failed on the first shot. I was glad I had SL2 and M backup, and given the poor light mainly used SL APO 75 and Summicron M 28 on the M10-R so it wasn’t a disaster.  However, I’m still unhappy at this kind of failure. It never happened on decades of work with 5D series cameras…

So - back to Leica and hope it’s back soon. 😕

38 minutes ago, chris_tribble said:

Ah well - I took the vulnerable body to a major event assignment this evening and it failed on the first shot. I was glad I had SL2 and M backup, and given the poor light mainly used SL APO 75 and Summicron M 28 on the M10-R so it wasn’t a disaster.  However, I’m still unhappy at this kind of failure. It never happened on decades of work with 5D series cameras…

So - back to Leica and hope it’s back soon. 😕

Really sorry to hear that Chris. I had four of these cameras at one point, and three of them failed. And to add insult to injury Leica told me I was the only person in the world that this has happened to and It must be something that I was doing.

And yes since switching my sl2s to canons zero problems with near 150 weddings since then.

I do have a q3 for personal use these days but I wouldn’t touch the sl series ever again which is a shame as the lenses are magic and the files are great.

Best of luck moving forward

Just got an email from Wetzlar... repair times are about 2 month for SL, Q.... ! So my shutter problem will be fixed to Christmas 😂. Its a shame - I am located in Germany about 300 km away from Wetzlar - these guys should be able to improve quality to avoid repair (I would prefer that) or to enlarge their repair team to avoid long repair times....

Happy to have the Q3 and my M-Equipment...otherwise I would be about 2 months without any equipment😵‍💫

Lessons learned: if you want to use the SL-System, buy 2 to use 1.....

On 10/15/2023 at 12:50 AM, Gavin Cato said:

I wouldn’t touch the sl series ever again which is a shame as the lenses are magic and the files are great.

Complete agreement re the lenses. So far as the SL2 is concerned I’ll stick with it for the foreseeable.  The M10 and M10-r bodies I’ve had have been bomb proof - so I’m hoping this problem is more of a glitch than a systemic problem. Having sunk so much into the glass I’d hate to dump it all!

• 4 months later...

Just an afterword on my earlier reliability issue. I’m pleased to report that my repaired (replacement shutter) body is back and performing impeccably. After months living with an S1R it’s a delight to be using with a matched pair of SL2s again.  Despite the noise surrounding the S3 launch, I have no plans to make any system changes for now as when it’s working, the SL2 delivers all that I need.  Maybe I’ll be tempted by better low light performance in future, but for now the SL2 and my very reliable M10-R will be my work and pleasure tools of choice. 

• Like 3