hassiman

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not so sure about that.

It's all about quality control, not country of origin. Manufacturing in China runs the gamut --- a lot of rubbish and some very high quality stuff. I've noticed that an awful lot of "high end" merchandise I've purchased in recent months is nevertheless made in China (Apple products, Sony PS3, Aperion Audio speakers, Brooks Brothers clothing, etc.). And it's good quality --- fit, finish, and performance! And yes, I also end up with a fair amount of throwaway rubbish also made in China.

As another example, on a different thread recently someone was comparing the purchase of Leica cameras (made for a lifetime) to Miele appliances. As someone who purchased several Miele appliances for my loft a couple years back, I can tell you that all of them were made in Mexico, not Germany! Maybe Miele products for European customers are still made in Germany, but those of us in North America are served by their Mexican factory. Suffice it to say "made in Mexico" is not usually considered a badge of honor. And yet, not surpisingly, they are quite high quality, performing admirably, and covered by very extensive warranties.

Jeff.

We get German Miele stuff, but some BMWs are made in the US and Mercedes in South Africa. I have to say that I have heard some scare stories about the reliability of non-German examples of these brands.

VWs are made in Germany, Spain, the US, Brazil...

That'll be the global economy then, will it?

We get German Miele stuff, but some BMWs are made in the US and Mercedes in South Africa. I have to say that I have heard some scare stories about the reliability of non-German examples of these brands.

VWs are made in Germany, Spain, the US, Brazil...

That'll be the global economy then, will it?

It a moot point to a lot of us here. The Euro hit US $1.51 today and I'm not buying any more Leica gear until this straightens out.

Exactly Andy, and as long as these companies that utilize "low cost" manufacturing will guarantee quality (both in the production process itself and in after-sales support), I don't have a major problem with the global nature of production.

There are some things, of course, that are still best made in the old world, bespoke method. And for that, the origin of the labor can be quite significant. As the rainy season in my part of the USA approaches, I quite look forward to pulling my fine, hand-made Brigg umbrella out of the closet...

Jeff.

I really hope Leica is not going to close down, I just love them so much! It is one of the very few companies which gives people that 'special' and 'delicate' feelings.

Ah...I hate those £30 digital cameras and cameras on the back of the mobile phones with passion! They just ruin the concept of photography...well, this is only my thought tho.

Guest Cordell

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I really hope Leica is not going to close down, I just love them so much! It is one of the very few companies which gives people that 'special' and 'delicate' feelings.

I really hope Leica is not going to close down too. They're the only place that can resuscitate my $10K-worth of M8's when they go tits up.

It a moot point to a lot of us here. The Euro hit US $1.51 today and I'm not buying any more Leica gear until this straightens out.

We are off to Italy soon. Each Euro now costs me 75p, whereas last year each were only 65p. This is affecting us all.

When the Euro was first released it was expected to be a basket-case currency within 6 months. Nay-sayers have been proved very wrong. Unfortunately ;)

I really hope Leica is not going to close down too. They're the only place that can resuscitate my $10K-worth of M8's when they go tits up.

It's not 'just' about your 10K $ or my €'s, it's the heritage of an important piece of photographic culture from 20th century.

Ah...I hate those £30 digital cameras and cameras on the back of the mobile phones with passion! They just ruin the concept of photography...well, this is only my thought tho.

I wonder how many M8s are sold because they give their buyers "'special' and 'delicate' feelings."

Guest guy_mancuso

Hey when the end comes guys will someone please wake me up. I figure my 40 k might go up to 80 k by the time it is all said and done. I get dibs on the Leica cutaway lenses . There pretty darn cool looking and a nice vest would be nice. :D

Guest Cordell
It's not 'just' about your 10K $ or my €'s, it's the heritage of an important piece of photographic culture from 20th century.

Kindly speak for yourself. To me they're cameras, nothing less, nothing more. The moment my M8's crap out if there isn't anyplace to get them fixed, as far as I'm concerned they're scrap. If others will be happy to build a bookshelf shrine to 20th century culture with theirs, they're welcome to do so.

Are you implying that because I'm from the south I'm in the Klan? That's really offensive and uncalled for.

Cordell, don't be daft. KKKs refers to thousands of dollars, etc. Europeans don't think like that.

Regards,

Bill

There's nothing in your profile that indicates that you're from the south - I assume you're talking about the US and not Surrey.

Oi!

What's wrong with being from Surrey?

Are you accusing me of being a stockbroker just because I'm in the South? That's really offensive and uncalled for...:rolleyes:

Regards,

Bill

Are you accusing me of being a stockbroker just because I'm in the South? That's really offensive and uncalled for...

Well, I guess you could be a darts player that doesn't like to travel (or is that a different Frimley?)

Or a personal banker - which as we all know is rhyming slang for an oil tanker.