The beginng of the end for Leica

hassiman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also had battles with every 5D zealot there is and no matter what evidence real or scientific you will NOT convince a 5D owner they don't have the best camera around.

Replace the words Canon 5D by Leica M8, Nikon 300D, or whatever, and that statement still will hold true.....:p:D

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest guy_mancuso

Exactly Jaap. I just can't tell you how much i hate these battles anymore. It is about the stupidest thing to do with your time and I am so sick of it. Anyway sorry folks , i just get my bowels in a uproar on this stupid stuff. Not sure why i bothered to even comment in the first place , I know better. LOL

This is a Leica forum not a Canon one. My opinion is all over the net on this one. I'm done the BS with the comparisions there worthless and serve no purpose except some ones ego. Not interested , been down this road to many times. Don't like my answer don't read it. Very simple

So comparisons between, and thoughts about, the various systems aren't allowed? First I've heard about it.

Your opinion is just that, _your_ opinion. I believe others should be allowed to express theirs.

Guest guy_mancuso

Steve who said that do whatever the hell you want , could care less. I won't be part of it in any way and i don't care one red cent what people think of my opinion. I really don't, you don't want to listen to someone that had every Canon in the book and did exhaustive tests on every Canon lens compared to leica glass than it ain't my issue. Go out and buy them and have a freaking blast testing all this stuff been there done that and not even going to go there. You figure it out and tell everyone, not me not worth the time. I already put my money were my mouth is not doing it anymore.

Please , Just leave me out of this conversation.

Guest stnami
Yea you did and I know what I am talking about so there. At least i can back it up with 33 years as a Pro. End of story
.. come on Guy that's schoolboy mentality, a bit sad really

ok let's all let it go eh?

My experience of dealing with 5D files (there seemed to be a time when all the pros we deal with were using it for some reason), was that the files seemed a bit soft to me. But they sharpened up okay, and looked fine in print or online.

And that's all that needs to be said about that really. It's just a camera.

"It's just a camera." and a very boring one at that so I've heard.... :-)

Now this may well be true! :) As I've said a few times, I really hate the 10D I have to use for 'behind-the-scenes' and so on material when I'm on photoshoots, and I guess the 5D is probably similar to use.

But everyone's free to like whichever camera they want. ;)

Guest Ridder Cornelius

I really haven't a clue about any Canon cameras, I'v never even held one in my hands, I wouldn't know a 5d if it was thrown at me, I can't judge at all, just gossiping heresay :)

I also know that our in-house photographers apparantly use them a lot, so do most of our freelancers actually, but then most of our images are indeed boring anyway

Man, I must be crazy commenting on this thread...

I respect all opinions and preferences (diversity is a good thing) but since Canon and Leica coexist happily in my bag, I will offer my observation that Canon files seem better the farther they are away from Adobe processing, whereas my experience with Leica files has generally been the opposite.

It's certainly okay not to like a particular camera model, or even a whole system, for any reason whatsoever. But if the rationale is image quality, I do think there are differences between the OEM and 3rd party RAW pipelines (for both Canon and Nikon actually). Adobe's tools have a great UI and are super convenient to use, but you often are starting with an interpretation of the file that is far from what the camera produces. More often than not, I tend to prefer what DPP or Nikon Capture do instead.

The M8 on the other, usually just looks great in ACR... (go figure).

As always, YMMV. ;)

Wise lady , my 5D is on the selling block as we speak. It is as boring as boring gets.

Boring? I guess we all have our reasons for having a specific camera. I never found the 5D boring, just slow at times. I got incredible files from that camera, hundreds of thousands of them.

Jonas Bendiksen used a 5D with a 28 1.8 and 50 1.4 to shoot this entire story, very "Leica-like" if you ask me, not boring by any stretch:

Mumbai Slum, Dharavi, Bombay, India - National Geographic Magazine

What I do love about the M8 over the 5D is the size, the manual focus and the files are pretty much good to go out of camera, but it hardly makes the 5D boring.

Well I'm a Pro and we have a difference of opinion. Images from the 5D are nice and I will just leave it there. I'm not getting into this battle. I have been shooting digital since the beginning and i know what i like.

I started in 94 with the Kodak / AP NC2000, when did you start by chance?

Yea you did and I know what I am talking about so there. At least i can back it up with 33 years as a Pro. End of story

Guy, as one pro to another, you are having a really hard time seeing right now just how pompous and ego driven your statements truly are.

You bring home the bacon on here huh? No one asked you to, especially if it means we have to bow down to you, which we certainly do not.

And that talk of 7,000 posts? I am not sure I would brag about that one either....if you know what I mean.

Bottom line?

It is OK for people to love what they shoot with.

It is OK for people to talk of other brands.

Canon zealots? One could very easily make you out to be a Leica zealot then.....right?

The only thing your experience as a pro does is make you who *you* are as a shooter and how your clients see you.

It does nothing here Guy, zip, nada, zero-ooney because whether we are pros or cat shooting rank amateurs, we do things our way for our reasons and your 33 years of experience and 7,000 posts on here simply do not affect us as visual people.

If I may be so bold.......I think that is your problem Guy....you think this site and the internet photography world needs you. It does not and in all sincerity I believe you should turn over a new leaf for your own good, find fulfillment by other means.

Because if you believe we should all take the chaff with your magical "Golden-Photo-Wheat" then you are blindly mistaken and perhaps should open your eyes to the fact that no one but you sees you as the big kid on the Leica user forums block.

Sorry if this sounds harsh man, but sakes alive, the holy word of Mancuso gets a bit tiring..