Sign in to follow this  
hassiman

The beginng of the end for Leica

Are you implying that because I'm from the south I'm in the Klan? That's really offensive and uncalled for.

I haven't read anything so silly here in a very long time. Isn't George W Bush from the South? Is he a "Klan" member?

No one knows where you are from ( but we can guess that you are from the US). That could mean anywhere from Alaska to New Mexico or Hawaii. No?

No one knows what your politics are.

No one knows what your skin colour is.

No one has mentioned a "Klan".

This is a global forum. The international side of this forum is for everyone, anywhere on the planet, but particularly those that don't speak or write German. And that's only because the main subject of the forum is the pinnacle of German engineering. Please think global, not local. Please think outside your southern box, and consider the rest of the planet in your responses.

Isn't George W Bush from the South? Is he a "Klan" member?

Maybe not the most reassuring example........

Are you implying that because I'm from the south I'm in the Klan? That's really offensive and uncalled for.

Haha, that is best thing I have read on the forum!!

I always presumed you were black because of your accent anyway.

I really hope Leica is not going to close down, I just love them so much! It is one of the very few companies which gives people that 'special' and 'delicate' feelings.

Hmm...It uses a Kodak sensor & well, Kodak seems to be ralleying Johns Manville & International Harvester for stock dogs of the latter 20th century. If you spent $1 in 1966 buying Kodak stock you'd now have a 2008 $1. (and a couple of % dividends for 30 years). A Kodak moment, indeed.

r

Guest stnami
How did I get here?

Dunno but you are not the one who said they went but came back:D

Ah 'the Klan'...

I'd completely forgotten about them. (before my time and far from my neck of the woods)

Of course I did not deliberately suggest you're a member of any organisation.

I'm sorry if I offended you. As others mentioned, I was just refering to the thousands of Dollars you keep mentioning you're worried about..

You could be Elvis for all I know.

Guest stnami
You could be Elvis for all I know.
...don't be silly he is dead, deceased period......daisy pusher

Whoever Cordell is, it is plain that he used to post previously as Jimmy Pro (who kindly referred to me as a moron and a shithead using a fake 'Joysey' accent) and Vinay Patel. I think you'll also find he was Jay over on the Photo.net Leica forum.

Guest Robert Belasario
Whoever Cordell is, it is plain that he used to post previously as Jimmy Pro (who kindly referred to me as a moron and a shithead using a fake 'Joysey' accent) and Vinay Patel. I think you'll also find he was Jay over on the Photo.net Leica forum.

I think, with some deeper research, you'll find that Cordell is actually Elvis......

Guest Cordell

Thank you. Thank you very much.

Welllllll, you ain't nothin' but a hound dog, cryin' all the time.........you ain't caught a rabbit and you ain't no friend of mine.........

It's as if some people can't face the world unless they believe there's more than one person on earth who doesn't believe that Leica is the epitome of perfection, so everyone who expresses a negative opinion has to be the same guy. Bizarre.

We are off to Italy soon. Each Euro now costs me 75p, whereas last year each were only 65p. This is affecting us all.

When the Euro was first released it was expected to be a basket-case currency within 6 months. Nay-sayers have been proved very wrong. Unfortunately

Why would you assume that the high cost of the Euro is a sign of strength? It is a sign, but what it's a sign of, is uncertain. You'll note that in the US, politicians start screaming like it's the end of the world when the unemployment rates touches 5%...If we had the Continental unemployment rate, it would be considered tantamont to the Great Depression; the British unemployment rate is notably lower than the German/French rate, and the pound is weaker. Strength of a major currency is usually political -- the European central bank, which is dominated by a Germans (and German history with such problems as inflation), has taken the view that maintenance of capital is all-important. I personally think the Europeans would generally be better off (not in terms of purchasing, but in terms of jobs) is they let the Euro slide to parity with the dollar...You notice that nobody talks about the strength of the Yen vs. the dollar, yet the Japanese keep cooking along, with an unemployment rate under 4%, despite all the stories of Japan's stagnation since 1990...

JC

I agree. The writing "styles" differ, but the thought patterns are identical.

Damn, I'm getting hit here aswell... I'm from the south too...

What's wrong with us "southern boys"?

Back to reality,

Euro VS Dollar is interesting. I care about the Dollar Euro exchange rate because, it means my holidays to the US will be cheaper!

But to be "frank" the US economy is (exchange rates aside) in a bit of a depression right now, correct?

Europe is doing well, but I think it's soon downhill here too.

Some parts of the US industry is doing exceptionally well right now due to the exchange rate, for exmaple Boeing, isn't it?

GM isn't doing so good...

Why would you assume that the high cost of the Euro is a sign of strength? It is a sign, but what it's a sign of, is uncertain. You'll note that in the US, politicians start screaming like it's the end of the world when the unemployment rates touches 5%...If we had the Continental unemployment rate, it would be considered tantamont to the Great Depression; the British unemployment rate is notably lower than the German/French rate, and the pound is weaker. Strength of a major currency is usually political -- the European central bank, which is dominated by a Germans (and German history with such problems as inflation), has taken the view that maintenance of capital is all-important. I personally think the Europeans would generally be better off (not in terms of purchasing, but in terms of jobs) is they let the Euro slide to parity with the dollar...You notice that nobody talks about the strength of the Yen vs. the dollar, yet the Japanese keep cooking along, with an unemployment rate under 4%, despite all the stories of Japan's stagnation since 1990...

JC

When comparing unemployment rates be careful to compare apples to apples. For instance in Germany part time workers are counted as unemployed not so in the US. The OECD measure for German unemployment (which uses similar methodology as the U.S.) was 6.4 percent last fall - I think they are around 5.7% now, with most unemployment concentrated in the East. West Germany probably has unemployment rates equal to the US when measured the same way. In the US if we still measured unemployment and inflation the way we did in the 50's the numbers would not be looking so benign.

A currency is like a countries stock, while in the short term it might fluctuate up or down for a variety of reasons over the long term it reflects the health and growth potential of a nation's economy.

Let me just add one additional point about the political manipulation of statistics. Adjusted for inflation the annual median earnings of young US full time employed males since the 1970's until today have been flat or have declined by about 15% depending on the studies you look at. But when measuring inflation energy, healthcare, home prices and food are not included in the official measurements of inflation in the US. So the numbers are accurate if you don't need gas or heating oil, food, healthcare or housing

Guest Cordell
I agree. The writing "styles" differ, but the thought patterns are identical.

Hi Larry. If that's your criteria, there are really only two or three people at most on this forum