let's see your R

martin

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is me with my R8 and Vario-Elmar-R 1:4/80-200 oh and a Leica M-A but thats not important in this R thread. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

My R9/DMR with Leitz 800mm f6.3 Telyt S - demonstration at The Leica Society AGM Weekend 25 April 2015 in Lincoln … Leica Forum member jankap using the combo travelled from Franken in Germany.

Regards

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

My R9/DMR with Leitz 800mm f6.3 Telyt S - demonstration at The Leica Society AGM Weekend 25 April 2015 in Lincoln … Leica Forum member jankap using the combo travelled from Franken in Germany.

Regards

dunk

Whoa!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Years  ago my  father   had  ordered  the  800mm  .  i   wonder  if  he  realised  how   big it is  !!

Not only must he had known, I'm sure he researched it well before paying the asking price of that lens.  

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have  been  meaning  to  show some  of my  collection.  I never intended  to   start  collecting  but  as  time   has gone by  I  have  ended  up with  a number of items.  

To  start  with  the  Leicaflexes :

The  black SL2  has  a sticky  meter  needle  but otherwise  all   working  .

I  bought  the   Leicaflex  for  about  £23  20  years  ago . it had  all  sorts  growing  inside  ,  no  battery or  cover .  I pt  a  betty  in it , used the  cover off  an  SL2  which  fits  flus  so  I can use  more  lenses  on it  and   the   camera  works  well. I   had it  cleaned up  after  a  while . 

The  SL  is my  father's . I can remember  him   brining it home  in its  red and  white  box.  I learnt how  use  a camera  with that . Some  may  argue   corrupted  at an  early  age. 

I bought  the  silver  SL2   about  7  years  ago  from   some one  who  no longer   used  it  and  wanted t  to  go to a  good  home  which I have provided . I took it  to  Wetzlar  with me  last  week.

• Like 5

Thanks.  My  collection  has  been  used  a lot  and  continues  to be  used .

The   Elmarit  28  came  from  the  Leica  school  in  Luton  ,  used   with  a  full  passport  ,  my  father  used  it  more than  me.

The  Elmarit   19 came  from  a  widely   travelled  gentleman who  used  to undertake   tours  to  all   corners  of the globe ,  and  came  back with  superb  pictures . 

The  Apo 180  and   Elmarit  60   both  from the  same  lady ,  another   extensive  traveller. She  used  to  go on Russian  ice  breakers   to  the  North  Pole  and other   far   flung  places. When   I  bought  the  60mm  she  showed me pictures  of  ants  in the  Sahara  she   had  take  with   the  lens,  which need  a  good  clean when I got it. She  did  not  like  the  Apo 180 !!!  which  had  seen  less  service ,  though  I use  it  and  think it  wonderfull . The   Elmarit  60  is  s  very good ' all rounder'  and  can be  used  in all  sorts of  places  and makes  a good  'standard lens ' . 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Here   are  more  from  my  collection  ;   Three  Threes 

The   chrome  one  works  properly !  I  bought it  about  10   years  ago  and it  is  really  good .  It  has  the   35  to   70  zoom  on  which  i  have  not had  long  and I  am  getting  used  to  it ,  not having  had  a  zoom  for  about  30  years.  I normally  use  my  fee  to  zoom. 

The  R3  mot  only  works   in  manual .  I bought it   for a  good  price ,  with the motor ,  from  the  same  person  I  got  my  chrome  SL2  from .  A  shame  to   split them  up .  However   the  R3 mot  is  in  good  condition.  It  has  the  35mm  Elmarit  on it  which  I  use  a lot , a great  lens .  The  person  I  bought   the  35mm Elmarit from  wanted it  to  go  to  a  good  home  before  he  died  ,  6  months  later   aged  93.

The  black  R3  is  the  first Leica  I  bought  in  January  1987 .  It  lasted  for  about   15  years  before  all  the  metering   failed .  I  can  only use it  on  manual  with  an  external  meter. I  always   had  a  sticky winding lever ,  even  after  servicing. It  has  an  Elmarit  135  on it . Not  a  lens  I use  much . 

• Like 2

This is all tempting me to get an R.  

For my M240 I bought some time ago pristine late production units of 2.8/28-90 (before prices went stratospheric) and 4.0/80-200 (couldn't justify the cost of an APO lens in this FL range as I only infrequently shoot lenses this long).  

Maybe I'll also get a 2.0/50 Summicron to complete an R system.

• 1 month later...

Looking good.  Very good.  Double-plus good.  I was going to take a picture of it while it was still in the box, with the plastic popcorn, but was patient enough to take it out and put it on the dining room table.  No lens?  Tell me about it.  My objective is to acquire one of them Mandler 90mm Summicrons, and then take pictures of my neice, who is an actress -- and anybody else who wants to get in the way.

• Like 2

Looking good.  Very good.  Double-plus good.  I was going to take a picture of it while it was still in the box, with the plastic popcorn, but was patient enough to take it out and put it on the dining room table.  No lens?  Tell me about it.  My objective is to acquire one of them Mandler 90mm Summicrons, and then take pictures of my neice, who is an actress -- and anybody else who wants to get in the way.

If you like mandler lenses, get the 80mm Summilux-R Mandler his own favorite. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is good.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

New here, thought I'd share my R collection to start 

Nice set of gear.  Film is not dead and beautiful images can be had from all this equipment.   I'm not much of a user of a lens typically longer than 90mm, it's your normal or wider angles I admire.  I've been shooting with a 90mm for a good number of years and I haven't figured out how or when to get something with a wider angle.  Another words, I was thinking about getting a M film camera to take advantage of the newest of the normal to wider lens.  Since I'm really don't like to switch lens types on the go (in the middle of taking pictures) to me it's easier (and faster) to simply pick up another body with a different (wider) lens already attached when needed.   

All this time I've been thinking of the M, maybe it might be better to simply pick up another R and attach a wider lens to that.  So maybe I might be better off simply getting a wider R lens where I should probably simply "bite the bullet" and just do the switch of lenses on the field.  Again though, that takes time.  See?  This is where I've been conflicted. 

Though I say I really love my R9 and my APO-Summicron-R 90mm f/2 ASPH.  If and when I finally get a wider lens (possibly for the R,) I want to pick up the best performing lens either a 35mm or 28mm.  I think I read it was either the 24mm or 28mm that was the better performer.  Though it's hard for me to choose that when I know there had been advances with the wider of the M lenses. 

See, conflicted!