let's see your R

martin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Following 3 years of caring for and the eventual death of my partner Ann, and practically no photography. I decided to upgrade - M8 became MM246, and I wanted to do some more film - So... this has just arrived...... I always fancied a Leica reflex. In me youth, working in a camera shop, I got to play with the first Leicaflex cameras - and dream, one day...one day! First film in it now. Back to the old days. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/29/2022 at 10:57 AM, Pintpot said:

Following 3 years of caring for and the eventual death of my partner Ann, and practically no photography. I decided to upgrade - M8 became MM246, and I wanted to do some more film - So... this has just arrived...... I always fancied a Leica reflex. In me youth, working in a camera shop, I got to play with the first Leicaflex cameras - and dream, one day...one day! First film in it now. Back to the old days. 

Sorry to hear that, Tony.  That's rough.  I hope you enjoy the R7 - a great camera and have lots of healing shutter releases.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2022 at 10:21 PM, Likaleica said:

Sorry to hear that, Tony.  That's rough.  I hope you enjoy the R7 - a great camera and have lots of healing shutter releases.  

Thank you Tim, anyone who has been a carer for a loved one with Alzheimer's will understand the loss & sadness, but life goes on.. 1st film just back and some shots in in the R lens forum. The R is joy to use.. mind you so is every other Leica camera I've ever used from early Barnack models to todays digital models.

• 4 months later...

The $207 R5 body that I picked up recently from KEH in Atlanta, GA.

• Thanks 1

• Like 3

On 3/29/2022 at 9:57 AM, Pintpot said:

My condolences to you Tony.  

The R4-R7 bodies were my favorite, small and easy to carry with large bright viewfinders, their association with Minolta produced some great products.  Like you I drooled over the R4 body, I remember handling it at a trade show while in college but a year's tuition was too much to pay for a camera in the 1970's.   One of my first purchases after graduation was an R4 with 50 Summicron from Alvin's Camera in Pasadena, does anyone remember Alvin's, it was a Leica only store, they were 50 years ahead of their time.  Chrome looks great on the R.  

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, darylgo said:

My condolences to you Tony.  

The R4-R7 bodies were my favorite, small and easy to carry with large bright viewfinders, their association with Minolta produced some great products.  Like you I drooled over the R4 body, I remember handling it at a trade show while in college but a year's tuition was too much to pay for a camera in the 1970's.   One of my first purchases after graduation was an R4 with 50 Summicron from Alvin's Camera in Pasadena, does anyone remember Alvin's, it was a Leica only store, they were 50 years ahead of their time.  Chrome looks great on the R.  

Was Alvin's narrow and long with a side entrance, and the place that looked like a jewelry store with all the cameras in oak and mirrored glass display cases?  

9 minutes ago, darylgo said:

The original Alvin's looked like a normal camera store, with many red Leica signs.  Iirc, Maria closed the store and moved it to a location as you describe.  When I purchased my R4 it was from the jewelry-like store.

I just remember being there briefly in the '80s and being in awe of the case after case of Leica gear, from brand new back to the '30s.  I was like a broke kid in a candy store.  I think I had an M4-2 and some Canon L32 lenses at the time.    I felt like I should have been wearing a tux or something. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made the jump from Olympus OM to Leica R after finding a nice deal on this exceptional 6.2. I am now "All German, All the Time" along with the SL 601 and the Q2 😀 Currently working with the 35-70 f4 and 135mm f2.8. We'll see what R lenses pop up to round that collection out...

• Like 5

It's a long story, but for now here's the ol' R3.

https://357deleted.blogspot.com/

https://www.facebook.com/threefiftysevenofficial

• Like 3