Which bag you recommend

imported_reinierv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm fed up with my current carrying case for my M8. It a small square bag and has the tendency to flip over so verything falls out. I lost my brand new sunhood for my elmarit 28 and an IR filter that way..grrr

what do I want...

Something that easy to carry always. It should give fast access to the camera but other parts should be safe in it and not fall out easy. There will be a lens on the body and 1 or 2 other lenses with shunhood and caps. Also some small stuff like spare batteries, SD cards, polarizing filter. Preferably it should be able to stand all sorts of weather and ofcourse protect the camera against bumps etc. Also it should allow the storing of some small paperwork (e.g noteblock)/pens/etc as well. So I guess a many small pockets inside the bag.

I've been lookig around but get confused by all options and am often uncertain about quality and if it really fits the need.

I'm fed up with my current carrying case for my M8. It a small square bag and has the tendency to flip over so verything falls out. I lost my brand new sunhood for my elmarit 28 and an IR filter that way..grrr

what do I want...

Something that easy to carry always. It should give fast access to the camera but other parts should be safe in it and not fall out easy. There will be a lens on the body and 1 or 2 other lenses with shunhood and caps. Also some small stuff like spare batteries, SD cards, polarizing filter. Preferably it should be able to stand all sorts of weather and ofcourse protect the camera against bumps etc. Also it should allow the storing of some small paperwork (e.g noteblock)/pens/etc as well. So I guess a many small pockets inside the bag.

I've been lookig around but get confused by all options and am often uncertain about quality and if it really fits the need.

Look at the range made by Safrotto. They are the original Domke designs, NOT rip-off copies - they started to manufacture when Domke went Tango Uniform a few years ago, before it was bought by it's present owners. The bags are cheaper than Domke, and, frankly, better made than the current Domke crop. I have an old Domke (10 years-ish) and a relatively recent one and the Safrotto is better quality than the newer one.

Which one? That's a personal choice. I'd go for one of the satchel/briefcase style ones - I have the smaller of the two - sorry, can't remember the designation - and it is more than capable of holding what you have described and then some. Above all, it is discreet. Waterproof? Spray it with Nikwax or similar. One big interior compartment, with a 3-compartment insert (adjustable dividers) included. Two bellows pockets plenty big enough for a moleskine or a paperback, three zipped pockets in the flap-lid (one inside, two out) A full length rear pocket big enough to hold a perfect-bound magazine. Adjustable shoulder strap and shoulder pad.

Lowe/Tenba/Kata/Tamrac etc.? Great if you want to look like a member of a SWAT team or hike through a monsoon. Baseball cap optional.

Billingham? Excellent quality. For what you want, go for a Hadley, but they are more obvious.

Fogg? More ostentatious than a Premier League footballer's mock-Tudor "mansion". Ideal for posing in your tweeds.

Bag choice is a very personal thing - in any group of ten photographers you will get 12 opinions. These are just mine. Ultimately there is no substitute for going to a shop with your gear and trying it out.

Regards,

Bill

I have two bags ( euhmmm .. without counting all the bags I tried and discarded):

- a Lowepro rucksac for serious hiking: I use it to really carry my stuff

- an Ortlieb water tight bag with roll over top.

The Ortlieb is my favourite, as you can adapt the insides, it is really water tight, it's not too big and has a very good strap. Mine is just big enough to hold my camera, two extra lensen and spare batteries and assorted other stuff WITHOUT having to put thin gs on top of each other.

I like the billingham hadleys from style

but I find no picture of the interior en how to store the different small stuff

Most websites only show the exterior, not the features of the interior, which is just as important imo

I f.i found the ortlieb site, but you only see, even in the PDF specs the exterior and basic info.

Lowe/Tenba/Kata/Tamrac etc.? Great if you want to look like a member of a SWAT team or hike through a monsoon. Baseball cap optional.

Bill

That was funny! :D

As for bags, take a look at Artisans & Artist:

Artisan & Artist* Bags

The "torpedo" bag might be just what you need; I have the Evans Walker and it's pretty cool, just enough for a couple of lenses some rolls and a notebook, but not much waterproof.

I like bag threads, they are truly classic threads here, thanks for starting a new one :)

what do I want...

Go to a large camera store and try everything....Don't forget to look at video bags as well, they are often ideal for the smaller kit. Nobody can tell which is best for just you.

@Jack

that is what I feared ;-)

I didn't want to put it in my normal home forum for that reason :lol:

Just getting lost in all the brands and options of which none seems to look suitable

None seems to have several small accessory compartments e.g. one for filters, one for cards, one for batteries, opne for sunhoods. or larger closeable compartments to avoid stuff/lenses falling out as happend so often with me.

Which bag you recommend?

My best one since 30 years, the Artisan & Artist 'Penn's Pad & Pencil Satchel'.

Can carry one body with a lens, 2 more M lenses or 4 stack ones (or 2 stack ones plus a flash), all batteries and memory cards or rolls you need, a couple of pens and some documents.

Just a bit larger and pricier than the Billingham 'Hadley Small' if i remember well.

If you want to be unobtrusive, it is the perfect bag IMHO.

Artisan&Artist* Bags

AA_PPPS.gif

• Like 1

Guest zwicko

I have a Billingham Hadley Pro for my MP with three lenses.

One lens is always attached to the camera body, the other lenses are stored in their pouches (see photo attached).

There is plenty of room for at least two more lenses in the main compartment itself.

The Hadley Pro comes with large padded dividers as well as two smaller dividers (which I don´t use).

It has two smaller front pockets that will easily hold your lightmeter and several filters.

But it might be too large for the equipment you mentioned, so you better check out the "Hadley Small".

BTW: Ronald (a fellow German forum member) has once proved that his Leica gear (2 bodies, 6 lenses etc.) could easily fit into the "Billingham for Leica" bag (see this thread: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/discus/messages/22/99242.html?1128320071)

Might be worth considering.

Best regards, Zwicko

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I like Timbuk2 bags. The small messenger bag works well with a domke insert. There is little padding, but they are the best in the bad weather.

The domke f-803 is a great bag.

For well padded and good in bad weather bags I would suggest crumpler. The website is not the best, but the bags are rock solid.

Bags bags bag. I have an older porkchop utility bag. It can hold a lens and some film. This is the go light bag.

The absolute best bag ever is my little north face waist bag. This bag holds a lens and film/cards easily.

Tom

--

Tom Leininger

Tom Leininger | photographer

words on photography

I use $30 Domke F-5XB (F5-XB? Who gives a damn what they call it, it works for me) for a 12, 21/3.4, 35 mounted, 40CV, 50/lux mounted, a fat 90 TE, finders, a few rolls of film and cleaning cloths, Passport, tickets, etc...it all fits. Ain't nothin' falling through all that Velcro. It's machine washable, plus, I can use my strap(s), meaning an additional waist strap of choice for hiking/climbing/biking/etc. for added stability and security.

I don't go for those big/inconvenient and expensive Leica Bag imitators/wannabes/organic leather and canvas (fungus/mold food)/fashion accessories. I bought a used original for $20, tried it and didn't like it for its sagging tendencies or its permanent strap . It is now used only for storage when placed within a Pelican or Halliburton case for their better dust sealing from dust. There is not much offered in protection from the elements.

Over the years I've usually used LowePro bags, but have always had a vague doubt about them in the back of my mind- Bill's SWAT comments may be the reason!

My current bag is a Crumpler, which I love - and the range is HUGE, so I'm sure there would be one to suit your needs.

I'd personally avoid any bag that used Velcro. Too noisy changing lenses if you're in a quiet environment.

When shooting I fold over the Velcro'd flap, as it has a quiet plastic zippered main compartment, no worries, stuff ain't falling out when on the move and 'm a mover..