SL3 unresponsive/laggy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Currently at a wedding with the SL3, and the touch screen is not responsive at all. The joystick is hardly working along with the dials barely responding, has anyone else had this issue? Worked fine on a shoot last night. Not able to get the camera to factory reset as the joystick won’t respond and the menu button is working intermittently 

Tried a new fully charged battery and different cards with no luck. The joystick is hardly responsive so I am struggling to do a factory reset. Once I am home from the event I am going to sit with it and try a factory reset and see if that solves it

• Like 1

Not resolution yet. Completed a factory reset but no change. Put the batteries on the charger and left the body overnight with no battery or lens. Going to try again in a few hours. Emailed support expressing my frustration and seeing if they’ve had any reports of anything similar 

My camera was super laggy taking photos in afc 6fps the other day so much so I popped the battery. I lost some great photos. I’m fairly sure it was caused by my SD card being too slow. 

Last night I powered the camera on to catch a shot, and the camera startup was super slow and then the camera shut off. By the time I got it back on the opportunity was gone.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have no experience of this to offer a solution, unfortunately. However it is fairly evident there is a material problem with the camera. Hardware, firmware, who knows, but I would hope it’s new enough to be considered effectively DOA, and you can get a replacement.

All the best. 

I received SL3 with joystick that didn’t respond reliably and I returned the camera and got a replacement that works better. The new camera’s joystick is fine now, but I have to say the camera feels more sluggish than my original SL 601 (which I still shoot side by side with SL3 for events). Especially when I take a shot immediately after the camera wakes up, the blackout time is up to 5 seconds. Any subsequent shots are faster (but still the single shot blackout is a bit too much, making it feel sluggish to me). 

At least in JiriS's case, that is the result of the choice of Leica using the five year old 60mp sensor with a comparatively slow readout. The sensor simply cannot output all the information it captures quickly enough to be as responsive as the older cameras, which had a better balance of processing power to resolution. The other problems sound really unfortunate, so I hope they are sorted very quickly. One would hope that it is some hiccup in the code that can be fixed quickly in firmware, or that it is a card issue like Shawn mentioned. Corrupt or incompatible cards can do odd things to a camera, but my gut tells me that there is something else going on here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just another idea to try based on past issues I had with my SL2 years ago. If you have a user profile saved, delete it and then reset the camera. Then setup a new user profile. Don't save the old profile and import it. Sometime the user profile messes things up. This fixed a bug I had in the past after a firmware update.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 8:22 PM, Stuart Richardson said:

At least in JiriS's case, that is the result of the choice of Leica using the five year old 60mp sensor with a comparatively slow readout. The sensor simply cannot output all the information it captures quickly enough to be as responsive as the older cameras, which had a better balance of processing power to resolution. The other problems sound really unfortunate, so I hope they are sorted very quickly. One would hope that it is some hiccup in the code that can be fixed quickly in firmware, or that it is a card issue like Shawn mentioned. Corrupt or incompatible cards can do odd things to a camera, but my gut tells me that there is something else going on here.

No it isn't. I have two SL3's and neither have this issue. The camera start up is affected by the card used but with fast cards, formatted in camera I'm not getting any significant blackout, first shot or otherwise. My A7R5 boots a bit faster but not enough that I worry about it.

Is there a new version of Sony's 60MP sensor available? Sony seems to be happy enough to have it in two cameras currently available. It's currently the best high resolution sensor on the market IQ wise.

Gordon

• Like 1