Digilux 2 serial numbers and sensor failure

• 1 month later...

Is Leica still offering free repair for this? My D2 (ser. nr. 2986xxx) has recently developed this same fault and it would be really good to get it working again! Do I need to send it to Leica UK or can I just take it in to a local dealer?

• 7 months later...

I started noticing some problems with my D2 a couple of months ago (see here). It seems the problem has come back to haunt me :(

At a recent car show I managed a few salvageable pictures, but most had a nasty colour cast, vignetting and fringing. I've attached a couple of examples. The Fiat 500 shown in the top picture was actually light green, not medium grey while the Alfas were alpine white; the 'line' problem has returned to the image of the Lancia.

I guess I'll be getting in touch with Adeal Australia- can anyone confirm that the sensor replacement is still covered by warranty?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 8 months later...

Mine is 3011 and still ok, yes i only had it couple of days! :)

So is 3xxxx serials still vital to fail, and also is there any possibility to found it if the sensor replacement has been carried out?

Cheers

Vlad

• 11 months later...

I checked on mine with both US and Solms. I haven't had any problems, thus far.

My s/n is 3016xxx. Below is response from Solms.

Thank you for your email and congratulations to the purchase of your Digilux 2. Our records do not show any repairs being done on the camera in the past, at least not in our workshop in Solms. Compared to the previous models all Digilux 2 cameras with a serial number over 3000000 have been equipped with an improved sensor.

However, if you ever encounter a problem with your camera, please contact our service department in New Jersey:

Leica Camera Inc. / Customer Service

1 Pearl Court, Unit A / Allendale, NJ 07401 / USA

Edited by andybarton
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have read conflicting reports on the sensor replacement for the Digilux 2.

Is it true that anyone is eligible for the extended warranty CCD replacement or is it just the original owner? I ask because the sensor on mine went out and has not yet been sent in for servicing.

I contacted Leica New Jersey and this was the reply:

Good Morning,

This camera has not been serviced by Leica Camera Inc. *Please send it to: *Leica Camera, Inc., 1 Pearl Court, Unit A, Allendale, NJ *07401

We recommend shipping via UPS or Federal Express or whatever is most convenient for you. *Include a note with your name, address and daytime phone number and a brief description of what you would like to have repaired.

If it is a recently purchased item, please include a copy of your sales receipt. *An estimate or a warranty repair notice will be mailed to you in approximately 2 to 3 days after we receive the equipment. *Please allow a few more days for the mail to reach you. *Make a note of the serial number for your records.

I then gave them a direct call and was told that ONLY the original owner of the Digilux 2 was eligible for the free sensor replacement.

Is the CSR misinformed or will I have to fork over the specified amount to get the sensor replaced?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, Letyoursolglow!

The following is what was posted on Leica's website in 2006 and I'm not aware that it's been changed.

12/13/2006

"Leica Camera AG is offering all owners of the LEICA DIGILUX 2 a customer service

free of charge even beyond the stated warranty period. Specifically, this refers

to exchanging the digital camera's sensor in the case of a rarely occurring

malfunction. Leica Camera AG has opted for this extended warranty due to the

fact that there have been a few reports of this malfunction caused by faulty

manufacturing which also affects some other makes' cameras.

Prolonged use of the camera in tropical climate conditions has occasionally led

to effects such as black stripes in the image or even a totally black image.

This malfunction can be the result of sensors whose specifications do not meet

the respective Leica Camera AG production and testing standards.

Even though the malfunction occurs only after prolonged use in extreme conditions,

i.e. perhaps even after the warranty period has expired, thanks to the service described

here, the LEICA DIGILUX 2 customers can rely on having their camera repaired

free of charge over a longer period of time. Thus, supported by this measure,

Leica Camera AG is ensuring that the LEICA DIGILUX 2 will retain its value after

having been discontinued."

Please note that is says "all owners" and not "all original owners".:)

Pete.

Welcome to the forum, Letyoursolglow!

The following is what was posted on Leica's website in 2006 and I'm not aware that it's been changed.

12/13/2006

"Leica Camera AG is offering all owners of the LEICA DIGILUX 2 a customer service

free of charge even beyond the stated warranty period. Specifically, this refers

to exchanging the digital camera's sensor in the case of a rarely occurring

malfunction. Leica Camera AG has opted for this extended warranty due to the

fact that there have been a few reports of this malfunction caused by faulty

manufacturing which also affects some other makes' cameras.

Prolonged use of the camera in tropical climate conditions has occasionally led

to effects such as black stripes in the image or even a totally black image.

This malfunction can be the result of sensors whose specifications do not meet

the respective Leica Camera AG production and testing standards.

Even though the malfunction occurs only after prolonged use in extreme conditions,

i.e. perhaps even after the warranty period has expired, thanks to the service described

here, the LEICA DIGILUX 2 customers can rely on having their camera repaired

free of charge over a longer period of time. Thus, supported by this measure,

Leica Camera AG is ensuring that the LEICA DIGILUX 2 will retain its value after

having been discontinued."

Please note that is says "all owners" and not "all original owners".:)

Pete.

Thanks Pete!

I called Leica NJ again today and was again told that I was not covered.

I've emailed Leica Solms about this problem. Hopefully the response is more akin to the report posted in 2006.

Leica New Jersey just called me back and told me, yes, they do in fact replace the faulty sensor for anyone who owns the camera. That Leica Solms still reimburses them for the sensor.

Turnaround time is about 3-4 weeks.

The CSR has been notified of this as well.

Thanks for the help.