Working/defective camera by serial number

Smogg

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Let's take a look at the serial numbers of M11 cameras that are prone to freezing and/or corrupting files on firmware 2.0.2. It is possible that we will be able to identify some pattern and those who have not yet purchased the M11, but are thinking about buying, will be able to choose cameras from a safe series, if one exists. Please do not discuss in this topic, just write the serial number of the camera and the problem.
If your camera works flawlessly, then please also write its serial number.

My cameras serial numbers:

M11: 5669432

M11: 5591932

Both cameras freeze and corrupt files

Edited by Smogg

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Photoworks:

you better register your camera with Leica before someone else does before you do.

+1

@Smogg: i appreciate your efforts very much. But this is one of the reasons why not many people will publish their serial numbers…..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, le7 said:

+1

@Smogg: i appreciate your efforts very much. But this is one of the reasons why not many people will publish their serial numbers…..

I don’t see a problem if someone finding out the serial number of my cameras, I bought them, not stole them

Edited by Smogg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 32 Minuten schrieb Smogg:

I don’t see a problem if someone finding out the serial number of my cameras, I bought them, not stole them

Very sorry for the misunderstanding….. this is NOT what I wanted to say (please excuse my poor wording)

The problem is: in case you publish your serial number (legally acquired) everybody else reading this post is able to register the camera at the leica website as its own….

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, le7 said:

Very sorry for the misunderstanding….. this is NOT what I wanted to say (please excuse my poor wording)

The problem is: in case you publish your serial number (legally acquired) everybody else reading this post is able to register the camera at the leica website as its own….

Let's say someone registers my camera on the Leica website before I do. What does this mean for me?

I have not registered my cameras and do not intend to do so. Although maybe the Leica photo app did it for me

Edited by Smogg

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Smogg:

Let's say someone registers my camera on the Leica website before I do. What does this mean for me?

I have not registered my cameras and do not intend to do so. Although maybe the Leica photo app did it for me

To be honest: who knows…. And maybe this is the reason why a lot of people do not publish their serial numbers 😎 

Of course it’s your choice to register or not…..

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

@smogg

@le7

Only you can de-register your camera once you have registered it or sell it.  If you dont register it, someone else can.   

Also, I would never discuss/show the serial number.

ownership cant be changed unless you cancel on the personal online Leica membership site. Its safe and proof of ownership.

I would advise you to take advantage of this feature.

Edited by lucerne
clarify
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, lucerne said:

@smogg

@le7

Only you can de-register your camera once you have registered it or sell it.  If you dont register it, someone else can.   

ownership cant be changed unless you cancel on the personal online Leica membership site. Its safe and proof of ownership.

You can contact Leica and have them de-register the camera if you have proof that you bought it and now own it (proof of purchase obviously required). It's a hassle but it can be done.

7 hours ago, lucerne said:

@smogg

@le7

“safe and proof of ownership” - when the camera is in my hands or on my shelf. The fact that the camera is registered to anyone does not matter. If someone wants to challenge this, making pseudo-registration, then let him first steal my camera. And if someone manages to steal my camera, then registration will not help me in any way. 
P.S. In addition, I have a receipt from the store

Register it, and Leica will refuse to change the ownership again without evidence.

after that No one else can change the ownership record.   

It is quick and hassle free to change the official record held at Wetzlar.     Having the equipment on your shelf proves nothing.  

Good luck with your method.  

3 hours ago, Smogg said:

“safe and proof of ownership” - when the camera is in my hands or on my shelf. The fact that the camera is registered to anyone does not matter. If someone wants to challenge this, making pseudo-registration, then let him first steal my camera. And if someone manages to steal my camera, then registration will not help me in any way. 
P.S. In addition, I have a receipt from the store

I'd suggest you are looking at this through the wrong end of the telescope.

It is not so much whether someone else steals your camera - but whether by providing your full S/N on a public web site, someone can register it in their name and then claim that camera was stolen from them. Leica does keep a registry of cameras reported stolen.

You receipt will be evidence in your favor - but you might, for example, send in such a camera (or lens) for Leica service - and Leica might "impound" it as reported stolen from that other person, and there could be a major hassle (for weeks or months) getting that straightened out. Especially if international borders are involved.

Personally, I don't register my gear either, but I also do not make public the full S/Ns. The first 3-4 digits plus xxxx are sufficient to narrow down the range for a "bad batch series"  investigation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This is really simple.  If anyone has an M11 with freezing problems, put the first 3-4 digits of your serial number.  It is unlikely that every odd number or ever camera serial number ending in 37 has a problem, but it could be that every M11 that starts with 559 has a problem.

BTW, I do not ever give out my expensive camera serial numbers, or my vehicle VIN numbers, or the bond numbers of bonds that I have invested in.  I own them all, but in general less specific information the better.  I do have friends adept at the dark web, and you have no clue the information about you on the dark web.  Especially with AI that can now scour public forums, I guarantee information here is being collected. So, why help?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, davidmknoble said:

[...] If anyone has an M11 with freezing problems, put the first 3-4 digits of your serial number.  It is unlikely that every odd number or ever camera serial number ending in 37 has a problem, but it could be that every M11 that starts with 559 has a problem. [...]

I see one faulty M11 with 559*** above while my trouble free M11 is also  559***. The faulty body suffers from shutter inertia though, if i remember well, while mine works normally.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adan said:

I'd suggest you are looking at this through the wrong end of the telescope.

It is not so much whether someone else steals your camera - but whether by providing your full S/N on a public web site, someone can register it in their name and then claim that camera was stolen from them. Leica does keep a registry of cameras reported stolen.

You receipt will be evidence in your favor - but you might, for example, send in such a camera (or lens) for Leica service - and Leica might "impound" it as reported stolen from that other person, and there could be a major hassle (for weeks or months) getting that straightened out. Especially if international borders are involved.

Personally, I don't register my gear either, but I also do not make public the full S/Ns. The first 3-4 digits plus xxxx are sufficient to narrow down the range for a "bad batch series"  investigation.

I'm sure Leica won't take the risk of having the camera confiscated since that's a police function. The box and receipts stay at my place, I can always easily prove that the camera belongs to me, and Leica will have serious problems. This will expose Leica to court and serious fines.

1 hour ago, davidmknoble said:

BTW, I do not ever give out my expensive camera serial numbers, or my vehicle VIN numbers, or the bond numbers of bonds that I have invested in.  I own them all, but in general less specific information the better.  I do have friends adept at the dark web, and you have no clue the information about you on the dark web.  Especially with AI that can now scour public forums, I guarantee information here is being collected. So, why help?

The VIN is indicated under the windshield of the car and is available to everyone😂

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Smogg said:

I understand now why my wife doesn’t tell anyone her honest age😂

Does she disclose the first digit? 😊

But seriously, the first few digits of a serial number ought to be enough to get a handle on any problematic batches, as suggested above .

Anyone wanting to keep their serial number private should also check the metadata of any image they post online, as the serial number may be embedded (as I think it is with M11 files out of the camera).