No serial Number 50mm F3.5 Elmar?

LDBennett

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a 50mm F3.5 Elmar that came on a converted Model I (to Model III). The lens has no serial number on it anywhere. Is that normal for a camera lens on a Model I? I have no information on this camera except that the top plate is in the 59,000 range which would have made it originally a Model I. But the conversion is to a Model III (Black with brassing, slow speed dial, strap lugs, rangefinder, "O" lens mount, and a top plate marked in the 59,000 range.

Can the lens be dated to the same period as a 1930 Model I?

In a previous post about the camera (hidden serial number scratched out under the top plate, different than the later top plate serial number??). With help here I now understand about conversion but know nothing about the camera history (or actually exactly what the hidden number is???). I only recently noticed that the Elmar has no serial number at all even though I have owned this camera for 35+ years. It was bought to collect as an example of Barnack cameras many decades ago.

Thanks for any info. I am just curious and trying to put together a probable history of the camera and lens. The hidden non-matching serial number adds to the mystery. I am not able to take the top plate off to re-reveal it (bad eyesight). 

LDBennett

I also have a no-serial Elmar on a Model I converted to Model II (likely before the III was introduced). The body was originally 1929 from the serial, but I found the Elmar from a different source. Yes, it was common for lenses from the model I to have no serial, as they were permanently attached - until removed and remounted.

4 hours ago, LDBennett said:

I have a 50mm F3.5 Elmar that came on a converted Model I (to Model III). The lens has no serial number on it anywhere. Is that normal for a camera lens on a Model I? I have no information on this camera except that the top plate is in the 59,000 range which would have made it originally a Model I. But the conversion is to a Model III (Black with brassing, slow speed dial, strap lugs, rangefinder, "O" lens mount, and a top plate marked in the 59,000 range.

Can the lens be dated to the same period as a 1930 Model I?

In a previous post about the camera (hidden serial number scratched out under the top plate, different than the later top plate serial number??). With help here I now understand about conversion but know nothing about the camera history (or actually exactly what the hidden number is???). I only recently noticed that the Elmar has no serial number at all even though I have owned this camera for 35+ years. It was bought to collect as an example of Barnack cameras many decades ago.

Thanks for any info. I am just curious and trying to put together a probable history of the camera and lens. The hidden non-matching serial number adds to the mystery. I am not able to take the top plate off to re-reveal it (bad eyesight). 

LDBennett

Hello LD,

Welcome to the Forum.

Some 50mm f3.5 Elmars have their serial number engraved in the black ring around the front element. Leitz generally did not fill this engraving with a contrasting color & so, sometimes, the number is hard to see & to read.

Best Regards,

Michael

8 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello LD,

Welcome to the Forum.

Some 50mm f3.5 Elmars have their serial number engraved in the black ring around the front element. Leitz generally did not fill this engraving with a contrasting color & so, sometimes, the number is hard to see & to read.

Best Regards,

Michael

That was the first place I looked since noticing it on an internet photo....no serial number anywhere. Just yesterday I watched a repair video for this very lens. And it too had no serial number. The older repair guy stated that it probably was an early example since it had no serial number. My guess is that is the case with mine and it matches up with the 59000 series camera body and the rest of the evidence. That serial number on the camera would put it at a 1930 build . Thanks for commenting.

LDBennett

IA Leicas have fixed mounted lens, lens does not have own serial number. When camera was upgraded to a higher model (in your case III) lens received interchangeable mount and in many cases optics (with the ring where usually serial number is stamped) originates from original IA. But even if taking optics into new mount was not possible, the new optics does not have serial number to be in line with original. So it is not unusual to see later Elmars with no serial number
P.S. I understand that tajking top cover off is not an option fro you but maybe posting some photos would work, both camera and lens

Jerzy:

Thanks for the response. What you say makes sense. I was thinking along those lines but my detailed knowledge of these cameras is limited...but I am learning. The mount is a "O" lens mount so obviously a conversions was made. I did not really recognize that the Model 1 was a fixed lens. My reading should have revealed that but I apparently did not retain that info. It makes sense now. There is not much to be learned from pictures (difficult for me to do). I attempted to explain most aspect of the camera as it appears today. There is more to this camera then can be seen externally because of the hidden scratched out serial number under the top plate. I wish I could find the picture I took some 35+ years ago to see what that number was. It certainly was not the same as the serial number on the top plate. Oh well, a mystery for a future owner to solve after I am gone.

LDBennett