Digilux 2 serial numbers and sensor failure

Advertisement (gone after registration)

ser 2988*** just died today, i hope they do the replacement for Belgian costumers aswell?

do i bring it in by my reseller or do you send it to Solms directly?

I dont use him so often anymore sinds i got aD3, but i dont want to lose him.

fotmaesron

Ronny,

When my D2 died last year I phoned the distributor "De Beuckelaer" (see Leica Belgium site) and they gave me the adress of the nearest fotoshop to drop off the camera even though the shop didn't sell Leica and I hadn't purchased the camera at that shop.

5 weeks later I got a call from the shop that the camera was ready for collection. Everything repaired without any costs.

Best regards

Gerd

#3014*** purchased 11/18/2005. Died September 10, 2007. Been in the shop since September 22. Still no word.

I was so depressed after dropping the camera off at the shop I went out and bought an iPhone :)

BTW: Is this pretty much what everybody else is getting?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

#3014*** purchased 11/18/2005. Died September 10, 2007. Been in the shop since September 22. Still no word.

I was so depressed after dropping the camera off at the shop I went out and bought an iPhone :)

BTW: Is this pretty much what everybody else is getting?

Auch, another failing in the '3' range. Still, it may be just a few sad samples.

If there are around even numbers in the '2' range as in the '3', only then we can conclude the latter sensors are better. Because there are no production figures (yet), it is guessing.

Still, this is the second so far in the '3' range, against about 40 in the '2' range (reported here)

And yes, this is what it can look like.

You can read about variety in return times in this and other threads. It can take long, hang in there!

cheers, Rob.

After not hearing anything I asked the Dutch importer about a status report and got the service order with the magic word 'garantie', meaning waranty. Billing not to me but to the NL representation of Leica, excellent.

So now a little patience until the D2 will be back in my hands!

Hey Scott, are you sure about that serial number? Very different and much longer than the others. Could it be like 7994 plus 2918xxx? That would make sense considering the other numbers. Yours being one of the first would imply that production may have started at 2.900.000. Highest numbers being 3.110.xxx. About 200.000 cameras made?

Thank you all!

cheers, Rob.

My sales receipt said that serial number, and the camera was in NJ so I couldn't verify. A pleasant surprise tonight - the camera's back. The serial number is 2988xxx. No new battery packs or anything, just a working camera with a full charge. I thought it would take another month or two.

Ok, mine went up the swanny in November this year; one day it worked, the next day just horizontal stripes and nothing else. AsI bought one of the first in the country, ie jan 2002, i suppose that's not bad for a digital, but when you compare a 35 year old hasselblad, still going strong, well i know its a horse of a different colour, but still ! It iis now in Solms, with a turn round date, according to Milton keynbes of three months !

( Nikon digital repairs 3 weeks..... )

• 2 weeks later...

Another one bites the dust 2990xxx. Was so saddened as I've only owned it a few months and have taken some amazing photo's with it. Thought I killed another digital device with my electromatic personality :) but so happy to discover it will be repaired for free. Love this camera. Best digital camera I've ever owned.

I'll take it into a reseller and see what thay can do for me!!!

does anyone have the extended warrantee information? It is no longer posted on the Leica website and I'd like to bring a copy to my local shop when I bring my camera in.

Thanks!

Michael,

I have the html version but I can't post it to the forum so here's a text copy,regrettably without the Leica logo et al. If you need the full html version then please PM me.

Pete.

Leica Camera AG - Extended customer service for LEICA DIGILUX 2.txt

One of the wizards in SOLMS must have read my tiny complaint above.

Yesterday (after app. 8 weeks) my DIGILUX 2 returned, looks and works like new, but I have forgotten everything I knew about digital. It´s a mess and I have to start from the beginning again.

But great, LEICA cares about a failing camera the way they do. Cudos to the LEICA Co.

Best