Q3 EVF Lag and freeze at high ISO

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, I've bought the q3 in september and i use it as my main camera. Saturday i was photographing at night with high ISO and i've experienced a terrible lag on the EVF when reframing with the shutter button half pressed. It happens event at daylight.

Have you ever experienced it? When ISO is over 3200, the evf starts lagging and freezing when i move the camera, can someone try and tell me if experience the same issue? Just put iso 6400 and half press the shutter button and move the camera with the button half pressed. Thanks.

Edited by StefanoGili

6 hours ago, StefanoGili said:

Have you ever experienced it? When ISO is over 3200, the evf starts lagging and freezing when i move the camera, can someone try and tell me if experience the same issue? Just put iso 6400 and half press the shutter button and move the camera with the button half pressed. Thanks.

I just tried to replicate your issue, and I can't. I set the camera to ISO 12500, half pressed the shutter and moved around very fast. There is nearly no lag, even if I switch to 120Hz. It's just fluid. 

• Like 1

I see see this too, but I don't believe this is directly related to ISO. It's to do with low levels of light hitting the sensor. If you close down the aperture in poor light and then focus and recompose in AF-S mode, the EVF view does judder. Obviously the ISO increases (assuming that it's in Auto mode) to compensate for the smaller aperture but that's just a side effect. 60Hz vs 100Hz doesn't make a discernible difference to this juddering.

7 minutes ago, Corius said:

I see see this too, but I don't believe this is directly related to ISO. It's to do with low levels of light hitting the sensor. If you close down the aperture in poor light and then focus and recompose in AF-S mode, the EVF view does judder. Obviously the ISO increases (assuming that it's in Auto mode) to compensate for the smaller aperture but that's just a side effect. 60Hz vs 100Hz doesn't make a discernible difference to this juddering.

Ok, so it’s not only me, yes, i was in low light saturday but it gave me this problem even today in office… Dunno what to do… obviously i don’t shoot in low light everyday, but that behaviour it’s something i’ve never experienced with other brands. I shoot only in manual mode, that’s why i knew how many iso i had set.

Edited by StefanoGili

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 minutes ago, StefanoGili said:

Ok, so it’s not only me, yes, i was in low light saturday but it gave me this problem even today in office… Dunno what to do… obviously i don’t shoot in low light everyday, but that behaviour it’s something i’ve never experienced with other brands. I shoot only in manual mode, that’s why i knew how many iso i had set.

It's only an issue when you focus and recompose in AF-S with poor light and a small aperture.  I think it's easy to live with.

Edited by Corius