SL (type 601) compatibility with Super Angulon M 21/3.4

tomasis7

What mm is the limit for a SL sensor before it blurs out at the edge? 24mm? I'd like to keep using M-lenses.

M sensors are designed to deal with it to some extent.

Not really, it is just that the super angulon has an exit pupil close to the sensor, making the angle of incidence extreme. It is the only lens that Leica deems not compatible with digital.  Other, newer 21 lenses will perform from acceptable to good. 

I f this helps, I tried the 21mm f/2.8 Elmarit M as well as the 21mm f/2.8 ASPH Elmarit-M with my Leica TL2.
For my taste they perform very good on this cropped sensor.

Thus far, I did not really test them on my Leica SL.
They both work great on my Leica M9.
Look for my posts with examples in this thread

Edited by dpitt
  • Like 1

Small correction... I just found out that the 21mm f/2.8 ASPH Elmarit-M  does not mount on my TL2. In general I use the 21mm Elmarit pre-ASPH, so it seems I did not test this one on the TL2 yet. Maybe tomorrow, I will have some time to check its use on the SL(601) properly.

Edited by dpitt
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

it would be cool!

Received the body. Clearly, it doesn't fit. The bulge body that sits above the sensor is large enough to block it. Oh well..

Im curious about the differences between the pre-asph and the asph 21 mm Elmars. 🤔 I need to refresh my memory with some Putz articles. 

Edited by tomasis7

On 1/27/2024 at 10:41 AM, dpitt said:

Small correction... I just found out that the 21mm f/2.8 ASPH Elmarit-M  does not mount on my TL2. In general I use the 21mm Elmarit pre-ASPH, so it seems I did not test this one on the TL2 yet. Maybe tomorrow, I will have some time to check its use on the SL(601) properly.

Sorry for the confusion. I just found out that my 21mm Elmarit ASPH DOES FIT on my TL2 as well as on my SL. It only fits when I use my Novoflex mechanical adapter. When I try to use the original Leica M-L adapter it refuses to sink in completely, so I can not mount it with that adapter. Strange, I have no idea if this intended or not. The pre-ASPH 21 mm Elmarit fits on both adapters.

11 hours ago, tomasis7 said:

it would be cool!

Received the body. Clearly, it doesn't fit. The bulge body that sits above the sensor is large enough to block it. Oh well..

Im curious about the differences between the pre-asph and the asph 21 mm Elmars. 🤔 I need to refresh my memory with some Putz articles. 

I will try to find something interesting to test shoot and compare both for you on the SL in the coming days. Frome previous tests on the M9, I think the pre-ASPH is really good, sort of in the same rendering style and quality as the Summicron 50 v5. The ASPH betters that with more contrast and sharpness, but for my use the pre-ASPH was good enough. Maybe this will change when I compare them on the SL and TL2.

Edited by dpitt
  • Thanks 1

As far as I can tell a 21mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M does work on a SL with a M to L Leica adapter... I don't see why not!?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

here you can better see that it is not the sharpest lens and that it has some smearing in the corners.

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2024 at 11:34 PM, Donald M said:

As far as I can tell a 21mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M does work on a SL with a M to L Leica adapter... I don't see why not!?

It is my Elmarit-M ASPH that does not want to mount on my Leica L-M adapter. Do you have one to try yours?
It should work, because it is in the M profiles and it mounts on my Novoflex L-M adapter...

@tomasis7 I had some difficulties finding the right moment because weather was very bad here lately. I now have 2 sets. unfortunately one with cloudy weather and one with a bit of sun.

First conclusions are that both work. Maybe the older one has a bit more vignetting and possibly more pinkish issues. But it should wor out if you choose the right lens profile.

At 2.8 left is the 21 ASPH - no editing apart from a bit white balance and exposure

At 4.0

At 5.6

Both perform very well. As expected the contrast and sharpness is weaker in the pre-ASPH, but it can be easily tweaked in PP
See below, 2 shots, no contrast or sharpening added. crop of 4x of the center. Both at F5.6 and left is ASPH

Now at 200% on my retina screen:

Do not mind the F4 guestimate . It was F5.6

Maybe by the end of following week, I will have more consistent weather to try again

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I appreciate it. I would be happy with the pre-asph, to be honest. SA 3.4 was not perfect but I loved its personality. I have various lenses from Mandler era :)

For the record, I tried converting a Contax G Biogon 21mm to M-Mount to use it on a SL, but the purple corners are quite pronounced, in the same league as CV Nokton 21/4.

The M240 performs the same or worse as SL with those 21mm in my view.

The CV Nokton 21/3.5 might perform better on either body, as I'd expect after reading some reviews on fredmiranda where this particular lens is highly praised.

Not aware of the f1.4 and 1.8 Noktons. I am kind of baffled that G21 conversion did not pay out and am going to try the Corner Fix.

Quite perfect lens is the Konica Dual Hexanon 21-35mm, but hard to get.

• Like 1