Summitar lens on a 240

JJP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just had my 1946 Summitar 50/2 lens CLA’d by YYe and he told me the focus was off on a digital M but should be ok on a film camera. It is indeed way off on my M240 but my 1953 Summaron 35/3.5 and 1970 Summicron 50/2 focus just fine. Is this Summitar redeemable and if so what needs to be done? Even though my test photos were out of focus, the color looked great. I’d love to be able to use this lens.

Thank you to everyone, John

Yes, it should be possible to adjust the lens. Ask YYe. It may be a bit more complicated than normal, as the mount is not removable as far as I know. For the time being you can use the lens with the EVF.

• Like 1

Sounds like a great CLA, lol! Get your money back or have him fix it.

In the meantime use an EVF or the LCD, on the M240. If budget is a concern an Olympus VF-2 will fit and work perfectly well on an M240.

• Like 2

Don't know about focus in a digital M, but I agree that the Summitar is a fine lens, and produces wonderful images.  At f2, it produces very nice "artistic rendering' in the outer zones while the central image remains sharp.  Stopped down, by f4, the whole field sharpens and it rivals the Summicron range.  If yours has clear optics, it's a keeper, IMHO.  I use mine for film.

I use mine (coated and uncounted versions) on both film and digital and there isn’t a fundamental problem with focusing them on either, so I guess it’s down to ‘adjust’ in a CLA. A Summitar is a very characterful lens and worth having a good one.

Ok, everyone, I’m embarrassed to admit that I am a complete dick. I did not have the barrel completely locked. Turns out it is quite sharp!  🤷🏼‍♂️  

Can’t wait to get out and put it through its paces.

cheers, John

• Like 1
  • Haha 4