Radical feature improvement - subject tracking with manual focus (Nikon Z f state of the art)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, mzbe said:

My point is that there is zero impediment .....

Many of us buy the M RF because of its simplicity. Adding features distracts from this. Its pretty straightforward.

• Thanks 2

The issue I have with this kind of feature is that it makes the viewfinder very busy. On top of that, it obscures the part of the image that you are trying to focus on!

I don't think it will improve anybody's photography (distractions never help), and it may not even improve your focus accuracy. It reminds me of training wheels on a bicycle: it's something you will quickly outgrow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mzbe said:

I love the rangefinder. But not all of the time:

• 21, 28mm - I wear glasses, framing is tricky
  • 75-135mm - small patch
  • Noctilux 0.95, 1.25, Summilux 90, APO 135 - depth of field is a few mm, in case of the 135 Leica allegedly has stated that it can't be focused reliably with the unaided RF (not within tolerances)
  • Focusing on subjects outside of center - fast lens, wide open, focus & recompose doesn't work
  • M Monochrom - EVF gives visual confirmation of (over)exposure, critical with the monochrome sensor (no highlight recovery possible)

Also, when you shoot closer than 70cm. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

Leica 135mm with an M9, full frame. It's possible. 

<snip>

Ralph Gibson shot his Leica Picture of the Year 2021 with an M11 and a 135mm using a rangefinder only.

However, I suppose it is more convenient for most people to use 135mm with an EVF, especially since M11 implemented image stabilization in the LCD/EVF.

Edited by SrMi

Posted (edited)

Those hectic rectangles would cause me vertigo. FWIW, for the display of rectangles around the eyes, no electric connection between lens and camera would be needed, only if the arrow indicators should be displayed as well. Not useful for a Leica IMHO. What I liked though was an idea in one of the comments: automatic shutter release once the eye is in focus.

Edited by M8X2

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

Actually this is nothing new The Olympus OM 40 had something similar using a green LED in the optical viewfinder

both my canon 1v and 33 has this function in manual focus mode... really handy. maybe lecia can add this to the OVF

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, SrMi said:

Ralph Gibson shot his Leica Picture of the Year 2021 with an M11 and a 135mm using a rangefinder only.

However, I suppose it is more convenient for most people to use 135mm with an EVF, especially since M11 implemented image stabilization in the LCD/EVF.

One of the things I love about using the longer lenses with the M optical viewfinder is all of the room around the frame line to compose. Yes, critical focus can be difficult under less contrasty or in fast moving situations, but still very doable. 

12 hours ago, M8X2 said:

Those hectic rectangles would cause me vertigo. FWIW, for the display of rectangles around the eyes, no electric connection between lens and camera would be needed, only if the arrow indicators should be displayed as well. Not useful for a Leica IMHO. What I liked though was an idea in one of the comments: automatic shutter release once the eye is in focus.

I am sure that at one point we will see a camera with AI decisive moment detection and automatic release. It will come with a menu choice of HCB or Robert Capa. Just point it in the general direction of a subject and it will automatically create a prize-winning photograph, including automatic framing and cropping. 

• Haha 2

vor 2 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

I am sure that at one point we will see a camera with AI decisive moment detection and automatic release. It will come with a menu choice of HCB or Robert Capa. Just point it in the general direction of a subject and it will automatically create a prize-winning photograph, including automatic framing and cropping. 

People would buy that. Some of these features are already implemented in Android.

But a simple function like an eye-tracking auto-release could drive sales of Noctis like nothing else :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

HCB and Capa are for the Monochrome model only. Alex Webb and Constantine Manos are for the standard color model. And they automatically award you a gold star for all of those prize winning photos of one's cat. They do come with a brick wall test mode - only silver stars awarded for those pics though. 

• Haha 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

But no doubt. You are right. That will come. Maybe earlier than we might expect it.

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

Forgive me for saying so, but wouldn't it simply be easier for it to connect to the internet and pay for a digital copy of the originals? Would save all that faffing about trying to find suitable subject matter so that the camera could work out how to create a "similar but not as good" version.

• Like 1

Seriously, I really feel that camera makers are aiming for the lowest photographic common denominator through automation, and are not interested in producing tools that challenge the photographer to produce the best possible result

51 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Seriously, I really feel that camera makers are aiming for the lowest photographic common denominator through automation, and are not interested in producing tools that challenge the photographer to produce the best possible result

The people have spoken... as I've said, we've become prisoners of convenience. It's like the woman I helped get a Xmas tree in her Honda CRV (similar to mine) last month - she had no clue how to even fold down the back seats and was trying to fit a 6' tall tree into the 3' trunk area. Just spatially clueless. 

I bought my fourteen year old a Sony A6300 for Xmas. I would have got him something else, but it's what he wanted because his buddy has one (the mind of a fourteen year old). I was immediately lost in the menus and pretty much told hime he should watch YouTube videos. I'm going to loan him my M9 or something so he can at least get an idea of what apertures and shutter speed actually do. 

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

Convergent evolution and lowest common denominator make for pretty boring automated cameras IMO. You are right; they will produce such similar results of similar subjects that any idea of creativity or control is not worth considering.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Warton said:

I recently acquired a Nikon Zf and was amazed by how well its auto-focus works. The subject recognition tracks subject accurately and swiftly, with the inexpensive Nikon Z mount 40mm/f2 SE lens.

I don't understand German but this video makes me interested in a VC 40mm f/1.2.

Having said I have no interest of this kind of feature in my M bodies. I keep rangefinder as a....rangefinder and never use EVF anyway. If I want Zf type of mirrorless I grab my Nikon.

I spent a day with my friend’s orange Zf and the 40mm/f2. Brilliant combo and I love the 40mm focal length. Very responsive camera and pretty  everything worked well. I am spoiled with the optical viewfinders of my M and S3, and the EVf  of my ancient SL 601 is better than the EVf of the Zf  is, but I am now very much interested in the Nikon.
There will be no Q40, the heavier Zf can be the the AF travel camera for me. But it will never replace the M. 

7 hours ago, jaapv said:

It's about time!!!

8 hours ago, jaapv said:

From many of the photographs I have seen by HCB, Robert Capa and a few other "renowned" photographers focus/sharpness is rarely a dominant feature........But emotion is, and that's what makes great photographs, not necessarily the image's technical attributes.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I was gifted a Nikon ZF for Christmas by my children. I have an M to Z adapter and after sometime with demonstration videos have managed to set up the ZF so that in manual focus with the adapter on and a Leica lens attached the following picture taking sequence happens. Frame a photo of a person, touch the shutter button, the eye tracking starts and goes to the eyes, (I have programmed the video button to zoom 100% on the eyes), focus at 100% enlargement using coloured focus assist (I prefer red) and when focus is attained, press down the shutter button to take the picture. It's fast and the number of keepers is surprisingly high if the person isn't moving too much. I wouldn't try to install this feature in a rangefinder M camera - it would be simpler (and cheaper) just to buy a ZF. Photo example. Granddaughter Ellie, cropped closeup of 75 Summicron on ZF. This lens front focuses on my M10R and I was going to send it to Leica to be calibrated. I'm not going to bother now as I can achieve very accurate (sharp eye lashes!) on the ZF with little fuss. The use of the eye tracking in manual focus is truly an advancement IMHO.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The second photo is with the 50mm f2.0 LLL Cooke panchro copy - also cropped.

Edited by howard_cummer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, SrMi said:

Which isn't meaning anything. That was a static subject with very high contrast in bright sunlight and fairly small aperture. You'd need o be blind not to get that in focus.