Hasselblad to M converter Baveyes HB-M 0.7x

fabianoliver

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi!, how are you.

One of my cameras is a Hasselblad 500cm with a Planar 80/2.8.

The other day i discovered the Baveyes HB-M 0.7x adaptor:

https://kipon.com/product/baveyes-hb-m-0-7x/ at 799$ ( !)

and the https://www.walimex.biz/Kipon-Adapter-Hasselblad-to-Leica-M at 170 $ ( this one without optical element build into)

So, anyone has tried any of these 2 adaptors, or other one to use hasselblad lenses in m bodies?

I was asking myself, if the Bavenes 0.7% , in his convertion, keeps the original hasselblad lens dept of field.....just reducing the "coverage" for a 35mm full frame......

Any thoughts on that?, any coments?

Personaly, what i like about the medium format lenses are the relation lens "angle"-depth of field..despite other things related to film, and analogue experience.

I must say i am 59 years old, and i've grown with leicas and medium format analogue, as 4x5 cameras.

Now, i've an M8, and a MP240 ( thinking this convertion to use with this one)

Thanks for your comments

And happy new year!!

Fabian

4 hours ago, fabianoliver said:

One of my cameras is a Hasselblad 500cm with a Planar 80/2.8.

The other day i discovered the Baveyes HB-M 0.7x adaptor:

So, anyone has tried any of these 2 adaptors, or other one to use hasselblad lenses in m bodies?

Hi, Fabian,

The problem you would have with a Hassy lens is not being able to focus accurately because there would be no focus coupling between camera and lens.  You could still 'zone focus' by estimating the distance to the subject and calculating the likely depth of field at the aperture you've set but probably wouldn't be very accurate - particularly wide open with a medium format lens.  A M body that has Live View would work but it's likely to be cumbersome.

An appropriate adaptor and a S camera or SL camera is likely to offer a better solution.

Pete.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 4:15 PM, jankap said:

I have had good results with full frame lenses on an APS-C camera with Metabones boosters.

Thanks Jankap, i was reading about metabones, seems good product.

next answer will be a question in fact. Because i think that i'm wrong about lenses and formats..

On 12/31/2023 at 7:06 PM, farnz said:

Hi, Fabian,

The problem you would have with a Hassy lens is not being able to focus accurately because there would be no focus coupling between camera and lens.  You could still 'zone focus' by estimating the distance to the subject and calculating the likely depth of field at the aperture you've set but probably wouldn't be very accurate - particularly wide open with a medium format lens.  A M body that has Live View would work but it's likely to be cumbersome.

An appropriate adaptor and a S camera or SL camera is likely to offer a better solution.

Pete.

Thnaks Farnz, i've an M8 and an MP240.

I've an EVF2, and i've tested it with a R to M leica convertor, so i used it with a summicron R 50/2, and all was smooth and ok.

Of course, is a less charming ( for me) experience than with the Rangfinder, but it's better than i thought, and the convertion works perfect, sharp focus.

I've a technical doubt about using a Hasselblad 80/2.8 lens in FF format with the Baveyes HB-M 0.7x adaptor. I guess it was discussed many times also..

I worked a lot with analog 6x6 in the past, and maybe is one of my favorites experiences, i used the 80 a lot and i like it. 

I like it's perspective, the shallow dop when focused at medium distances and arround f4, and the depht given by the different visual planes.

It's my prefered "team" optic-format

The other day reading a bit, i discovered the Baveyes HB-M 0.7x adaptor, and my imagination flew, thinking that I could record in full frame, the result of that "team" without the analog support, but I have doubts about whether I will find it, or I will only see a new result (maybe interesting too) of a conversion, where the characteristics of an 80 lens disappear?

Any thoughts or experiences regarding these lines?

Thanks all!

• Like 1

Hi Fabian,

Am I right in thinking that your 6 x 6 medium format 80/2.8 Hassy lens will give you roughly 50 mm field of view on a 35 mm full frame camera?  Also the focus drop-off will be less pronounced than it is with you medium format camera.

I used a Pentax 67 medium format camera and lenses for many years before I came to Leica but I haven't used any of my Pentax 67 lenses on 35 mm cameras so I don't think I can help.

Pete.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 minutes ago, farnz said:

Hi Fabian,

Am I right in thinking that your 6 x 6 medium format 80/2.8 Hassy lens will give you roughly 50 mm field of view on a 35 mm full frame camera?  Also the focus drop-off will be less pronounced than it is with you medium format camera.

I used a Pentax 67 medium format camera and lenses for many years before I came to Leica but I haven't used any of my Pentax 67 lenses on 35 mm cameras so I don't think I can help.

Pete.

Hi Pete, i think you are right ( at detriment of my dream), in this scenario, of having "just another 50mm with it's own caracteristics ( a sum of the zeiss ones+ the ones of the converter) i'm less interested, especially for the price...

I have a takumar 50/1.4 that is in the queue and deserves to be in first place for the price of the conversion....

Anyone has converted medium format lenses to FF? any? 

Txs!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jankap said:

Please have a look into this documentation: https://briansmith.com/flange-focal-distance-guide/

Also, the Metabones homepage gives numerous products of lens boosters. Of course, there are more for the modern mirrorless cameras and/or APS-C format. 

thanks Jaapv for the link, very interesting information of flange focal distance of different cameras.

The center of my doubt (which I believe is sadly resolved by what I have read these days), is that to take a photo equal to a 6x6 in full frame format (35mm) with a given lens (for example Planar 80/2.8) I should use an adapter without optical correction from hasselblad to leica M (https://www.walimex.biz/Kipon-Adapter-Hasselblad-to-Leica-M) and take 9 photos (to reach a size of 6x6) and then stitching .

That is, there I find the depth of field of the 80 lens, and the angle that that lens gives on the surface of the 6x6 negative.

I expected that this result would be the one delivered by the adapter with optical correction, but it seems that is not the case, that I am simply converting an 80mm to a 50.

And it's logical

An example of the stitching, and the result can be:

https://fstoppers.com/portraits/creating-brenizer-method-portrait-medium-format-film-596427

He uses a summicron 50 for the picture ( so a wide angle in 6x6)

The approach to the topic can be found as an example in this link, but using an adapter without correction and the 80/2.8 planar in my idea.

The perspective and depth of field would be respected, but not the total "delivery" of the lens, since in medium format we resolve the center and edges of the image in one shot, and in stitching we use 9 images that make up the center and edges.

Edited by fabianoliver

I've just read a post of  Brian Caldwell, the designer of the Metabones Speed Booster, in a forum regarding this theme:

https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/21681-my-thoughts-on-the-kipon-medium-format-speedbooster/?do=findComment&comment=182683 

"Well, the combination of an 80mm lens and a 0.7x focal reducer does have a focal length of 56mm.  After all, focal reducers really do reduce focal length.  You could prove this to yourself by measuring the separation of photographed stars or I could prove it to you in my lab using the nodal slide on my optical bench.  And if you use that 56mm lens on FF (24x36mm) format, then *it is* a FF 56mm lens.  In this case, the use of a focal reducer together with an 80mm lens is a perfectly valid way of designing and creating a true 56mm lens.  As I mentioned in my earlier post, the only possible reason it will look different from any other 56mm lens will be due to lens/reducer aberrations and other flaws " 

I no longer have a doubt, thanks!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, fabianoliver said:

in this scenario, of having "just another 50mm with it's own caracteristics ( a sum of the zeiss ones+ the ones of the converter) i'm less interested, especially for the price...

I have a takumar 50/1.4 that is in the queue and deserves to be in first place for the price of the conversion....

Anyone has converted medium format lenses to FF? any? 

I've used a similar adapter to convert FF lenses to Micro Four Thirds, for a Blackmagic Cinema camera. In that case it was useful because of the lack of available wide cine lenses in the format.

My guess is that the adapter will provide sharp images, but not necessarily sharper than any Leica M 50mm. You'll lose some the the classic Planar (near-symmetric) flavour, and the lens will be 5x larger/heavier than a 50/2.0. You also lose rangefinder focusing.

An adapter with no optical elements will give you a 80/2.8. Again, I doubt it will be better than any Leica M-fit lens in the 75-90mm range.

That being said, you never know what you'll get. I would love to try one of these adapters, just in case it provides a look that I can't get from other options.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BernardC said:

I've used a similar adapter to convert FF lenses to Micro Four Thirds, for a Blackmagic Cinema camera. In that case it was useful because of the lack of available wide cine lenses in the format.

My guess is that the adapter will provide sharp images, but not necessarily sharper than any Leica M 50mm. You'll lose some the the classic Planar (near-symmetric) flavour, and the lens will be 5x larger/heavier than a 50/2.0. You also lose rangefinder focusing.

An adapter with no optical elements will give you a 80/2.8. Again, I doubt it will be better than any Leica M-fit lens in the 75-90mm range.

That being said, you never know what you'll get. I would love to try one of these adapters, just in case it provides a look that I can't get from other options.

Hi BernardC

"An adapter with no optical elements will give you a 80/2.8. Again, I doubt it will be better than any Leica M-fit lens in the 75-90mm range":

as i don't have any 75-90 rage lens, may be it worth the price of the adapter to try, i guess it will be good, but a bit bulky, as the adapter is not really thin..but i'm tempted anyway.

"My guess is that the adapter will provide sharp images, but not necessarily sharper than any Leica M 50mm. You'll lose some the the classic Planar (near-symmetric) flavour, and the lens will be 5x larger/heavier than a 50/2.0. You also lose rangefinder focusing."

i agree that in my case, i prefer to add some $ to the expensive corrected adapter and go for a summicron M solution, but as i have the R one, for the moment i'll not put money on 50's ( just maybe an adapter for a a takumar 50/1.4 that's cheap or the japan that includes rangefinder coupling ( 260$+ shipment) , nice piece of adapter by the way).

The crazy thing about the EVF2 finder is that even if it's tiny, the camera in my case doesn't falls smoothly into the billingham "pocket".

Edited by fabianoliver
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fabianoliver said:

but as i have the R one

The 50/2 Summicron-R is a Double Gauss lens (so it won't be as precise as a Planar) and the 50/2 Summicron-R lens is not particularly highly regarded, which is why they are widely available inexpensively.  Please understand that I'm not dissing the lens and it's not a poor lens it's just that there are a number of exceptional Leica 50 mm lenses that clearly outperform it.

Pete.

21 minutes ago, farnz said:

The 50/2 Summicron-R is a Double Gauss lens (so it won't be as precise as a Planar) and the 50/2 Summicron-R lens is not particularly highly regarded, which is why they are widely available inexpensively.  Please understand that I'm not dissing the lens and it's not a poor lens it's just that there are a number of exceptional Leica 50 mm lenses that clearly outperform it.

Pete.

Hi Farnz, i know, but is the one i've hanging around at home, and playing with, so when i didn't use the elmarit M28 asph V2, i play with this one.

I've in mind to buy a M50 in the future, cause i'm rediscovering that focal and i like it, so since we are here, which 50 would you buy, that has the best quality-price ratio in the M line?

4 hours ago, fabianoliver said:

Hi Farnz, i know, but is the one i've hanging around at home, and playing with, so when i didn't use the elmarit M28 asph V2, i play with this one.

I've in mind to buy a M50 in the future, cause i'm rediscovering that focal and i like it, so since we are here, which 50 would you buy, that has the best quality-price ratio in the M line?

Hi Fabian, that's a big big question, particularly for me since I'm predominantly a 50 mm shooter and have sixteen 50 mm lenses that I use with my M cameras because I consider each a different brush to 'paint' with.

The 50/1.4 Summilux asph lens is superb and Leica recently released a version 2 but didn't change the optical formula since the original formula was so good - the v2 was mostly cosmetic changes as far as I can tell. The version 1 was already an excellent quality-price ratio so there should be some good deals on the used market as owners decide to upgrade to the version 2.

Pete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farnz said:

Hi Fabian, that's a big big question, particularly for me since I'm predominantly a 50 mm shooter and have sixteen 50 mm lenses that I use with my M cameras because I consider each a different brush to 'paint' with.

The 50/1.4 Summilux asph lens is superb and Leica recently released a version 2 but didn't change the optical formula since the original formula was so good - the v2 was mostly cosmetic changes as far as I can tell. The version 1 was already an excellent quality-price ratio so there should be some good deals on the used market as owners decide to upgrade to the version 2.

Pete.

Hi Pete, to be as big big question, your answer was concise.

i’m not in a hurry, and  as you have 16 50’s your opinion is heard, and I’ll jump in this subject

16 units, and their differences, needs some beers to be discussed

thanks!

• Like 1