Q2 - the one and only?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After a painless goodby to the M System and a joyful hello to Fuji and Nikon Z I am thinking of reducing my photography equipment: two systems with changeable lenses is too much and none of it is satisfying complete.

So I am going to sell with two options: selling both and

buying a used Leica Q/Fuji X100V: 1. Leica=ff like Nikon, Fuji=small and portable in the coat-pocket; --> no more thinking of other lenses (okay, Fuji + wide and tele converter), cool (both)

or

buying a Fuji X100V and keeping the Nikon Z7: Nikon = ff and just one system with changeable lenses, (Leica Q and Nikon Z=no option, too expensive), Fuji = cool (like Leica;-)

Option 1 leads to the Question: Fits one camera all purposes? My favorite lengths are distributed around, lets say, 28-55mm in the sense of a Gaussian curve with 24mm at one and 70mm at the other end, each less than 5%, negligible, but in any case possible with both compact systems. My budget upper limit: 4000€

A new one-year-project awaits as part of a master class: the portrait of a Zen monastery: People, Meditation, Work

I know, I am not the only one with this question therefor my posting here (and in the Fujiforum). At the moment I tend to: Leica Q2 because the better (?) possibility to replace different focal lenses: FF, 46 MP, f/1,7

Writing down the thoughts the Q2 seems to be obvious.

Edited by docmarten

• docmarten changed the title to Q2 - the one and only?

I too would plump for the Q2. It can cover those 28-75 focal lengths perfectly (even up to 90mm). You might want to think about a travel compact (Sony RX, Panasonic TZ?) rather than just having a smaller version of the Q2. That way, if you find yourself yearning for a zoom, you’ll have one. 

vor einer Stunde schrieb darylgo:

The Nikon Z7ii and their 40mm SE lens is my Q replacement after waiting for a focal length greater than 28.  Nikon also makes a tiny 28mm.  

...and Viltrox a really nice (but too clunky) 28/1,8. I have the Z 40/2 (my fav length, which is a point against the Q) and had the Viltrox 28mm. 

Edited by docmarten

I've owned the Q, Q2, X100f, X100v and of the four I still own the Q2. I even had both the TC's for the X100v. With the TC the fuji is the same size as a Q2. If you really want pocketable camera get a GR III/IIIx. You didn't say what Fuji you have. I own an X-T5 and with my Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 it's about the same size and weight as a Q2/Q3. If you want something like a X-T5 to fit in a pocket get an XF 27mm. Maybe you just need a different lens. I used to own a Nikon Z7II and loved it but replaced it with Canon for bird photos. 

The X100v's biggest fault is when you apply a digital zoom to a raw file it doesn't pass the info to lightroom. The Q2 does The x100v also is a lot more complex in its menus and operation than a Q2. The Q2 more gets out of your way and lets you create. The buttons and menus are much more intuitive. I had thought the X100v would satisfy my want for my old Q, but it didn't which is why I have the Q2 Reporter and sold the x100v.  What you should do is rent both and see what you like best. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 minutes ago, docmarten said:

...and Viltrox a really nice (but too clunky) 28/1,8. I have the Z 40/2 (my fav length, which is a point against the Q) and had the Viltrox 28mm. 

There are rumors of a Q being released with a 40mm, imho a Q/40 would outsell the Q/28.  With the popularity of the Fuji x100 and Leica Q series I would think Sony/Nikon/Canon/Pentax would release similar cameras.  Or Hasselblad with a Stellar II 😀  

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Driften:

...You didn't say what Fuji you have.

X-pro2 with 27/2,8, 23/2 and 21, 28, 35, 50 f/1.x cheap manual lenses from China which show nice interesting results wide open and sharp (enough) closed to f/5.6-8. And the Nikon Z7 with 40/2 and 24-70/4 and Nikon AI from 20 to 85mm, usable also on Fuji X-pro.

And the family (esp. my wife) has a Sony RX100 lll.

Edited by docmarten

vor einer Stunde schrieb darylgo:

There are rumors of a Q being released with a 40mm, imho a Q/40 would outsell the Q/28.  With the popularity of the Fuji x100 and Leica Q series I would think Sony/Nikon/Canon/Pentax would release similar cameras.  Or Hasselblad with a Stellar II 😀  

And Sony discontinued the RX1...

If I would go to one system, and do a project you would like to do (which looks great to me, honestly), I would choose a system which can endures all kinds of weather. The Q would be the best choice. Even though 28mm might be too wide for me, being able to shoot in rain, fog or snow would mean a lot to me.

9 hours ago, darylgo said:

The Nikon Z7ii and their 40mm SE lens is my Q replacement after waiting for a focal length greater than 28.  Nikon also makes a tiny 28mm.  

Their pancake lens is 26 and I absolutely love it.  Not the best in corners but perfect in the middle. 

That said, I picked up a Q3 for better low light and to free up my Z8 for longer lenses. Very happy with the duo so far.

Edited by andrewphillipf
  • Like 1

If I ever have to decide on an „only camera“ it would be the Q2/Q3, but I hope like hell I never have to since my Nikons are not really replaceable for what I do (for example the stacking function of the Z7 would be greatly missed as well as the interchangeable lenses, I need ultrawide from time to time as well as long lenses). I bought it to complement my Nikons to provide the picture quality of the Nikons in a very small size and whereever I go, the Q3 is with me, in case there is a chance for a picture. It is very versatile and you can crop the sh*** out of the pictures, so you can go up to 50 mm without losing out and you can get even futher. The macro function is also not to be sneezed at either, it works surprisingly well. 

We owned a Fuji X100V as well for a while but its no match for the Q. I would strongly advise to keep the Z7II as well if the budget allows, the Q cannot be a jack of all trades, even if she goes a long way in that direction. 

Your Zen monastery project sounds wonderful. You will need wide angle, context plus shallow DOF and some portrait shots to get a feel for the place. Low light is likely to be an issue with evenings, early mornings and if you have access to the main temple. you will want something quiet and unobtrusive to use.

i would forget the Fuji myself. I think they are vastly over rated and you will need a FF sensor for a chunk of reasons. So it’s the Z with a couple of fast primes or the Q. I had a Z7ii that I used solely with Olympus OM lenses. It’s a great platform for legacy MF glass, so that might be an option if you don’t absolutely need AF. That would give you plenty of character and a wide choice to choose from (Nikon AI, Pentax, OM, Zeiss). The Z7 sensor is wonderful in low light and has an advantage over the Q2 here (by about a stop).

The Q2 makes a wonderful quiet one lens documentary tool. The AF isn’t as good as native Nikon Z, but should be OK and you can shift easily to MF if needed (and that is vastly superior to the Fuji). The 50 crop ‘might’ not have the resolution for a project, depends on what you final output is going to be and how much you want closer in shots as opposed to context. It would be fine for my style. 

• Thanks 1

Thanku very much for input, at this time the following emerges: I keep the Z7, sell the Pro2 and buy a used Q1...prices at the moment between 2200 and 3000€. With guarantee closer to 3000...

The Monastery project I will do with the Q2 and 28mm/1,7 and Z7 40mm/2, Porträts with 75/85mm, landscape with 24-70mm/4

All the best for 2024! I go to nightshift...

Edited by docmarten
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, andrewphillipf said:

Their pancake lens is 26 and I absolutely love it.  Not the best in corners but perfect in the middle. 

That said, I picked up a Q3 for better low light and to free up my Z8 for longer lenses. Very happy with the duo so far.

All the posts are interesting  to read, with the many options available we can pick and choose to fit our needs or desires with great image quality.  

I hear great things about the 26mm, not a typical Nikon design or focal length I hope they do more of these along with Zf type cameras.  Influenced by Leica?