My new Q3, initial observations

Snowman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I already posted about the blackout and focusing differences (experience) between my new Q3 and my now PX Q2 camera.

I think the built quality of the Q3 builds on an already impressive Q2 build quality.

The paintwork on the Q3 seems to have a pleasing mat finish when compared with the slightly glossy Q2 black paint.

The weight is a bit more on the Q3 but I really like it, feels rock steady in the hand.

The tilt screen is really excellent, is pretty thick but looks like the design and build on it is typical Leica and I really like the touch screen/shutter approach.

I've used my old Fujifilm X Pro 2 wooden shutter release on the Q3, fits a dream.

The exp comp dial seems a bit louder when its moved to the Q2, but still excellent.

The lens cap! Looks a bit deeper and a bit stiff to get off but means I won't lose it like the Q2.

The EVF to me is better but not to any extent on the Q2 which was excellent also. I have noted that stopping down the aperture and moving the camera does hugely reduce frame rates to a few frames per second, at f1.7 for example this does not happen. I think on the Q2 this was less apparent (maybe due to high res everything, the infamous blackout issue..firmware update to resolve?

I've got the Leica Q3 made half case which is excellent as I now can change the battery (not being able to change the SD is no big deal as I will never fill an SD card in a days shooting, having no interest anyway in video.

Its a shame that Leica did not put a full user manual in the box like they did with my Q2, as all there is is a multi language quick start guide, for the price they should have done this.

Overall I'm impressed,

Nick

vor 29 Minuten schrieb Snowman:

Its a shame that Leica did not put a full user manual in the box like they did with my Q2, as all there is is a multi language quick start guide, for the price they should have done this.

Hi Snowman,

I could order a printed manual from Leica via this link: https://order-instructions.leica-camera.com/Q3

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Snowman said:

Leica will happily send you a hard copy of the manual.  I got an M11-P a few weeks ago.  I like to have the book to leaf through - I find it quicker than scrolling around on a screen.  I understand their 'green' stance of not putting one in every box though.

https://order-instructions.leica-camera.com/

Arrived, from Germany, in under a week.  

• Like 1

Thank you very much for posting this useful link. I do realise that if a user manual had beeen in the box in all the languages used for the quick guide, it would have weighed more than the Q3; but I am getting fed up of reading the manual on the iPad. Pace the noble act of saving trees, etc, the act of using the search function and scrolling back and forth is just too time-wasting, particularly when I dont know the right words to look up! It doesnt help that the first 14 pages are full of stuff that could just as well have been put at the end.

😀

David

Edited by David Wien
  • Like 2

I like the printed manual, just because. But there is also digital download from https://www.leica-camera.com > Service > Support > Downloads > Leica Q > Instructions

They have both the full manual and the quick-start instructions available:

https://leica-camera.com/en-US/downloads?download_area_category=1156&download_area_subcategory=1133&field_media_document_topic=1099&field_media_document_language=984

I usually have instructions on my phone and computer for reference in the field, and the good thing about a PDF manual is that you can search for keywords in it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2023 at 4:51 AM, Carrot said:

The printed manual only reflects the initial firmware. Leica issued a revised complete pdf version for the Q2 after a few rounds of firmware updates, which was helpful. Wonder if they’ll do the same for the Q3?

The current manual is version 1.1 of manuls, so I suspect the manuals available gets updated (digital print).