SL2 Processing help please

Flyer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just got the SL2 Silver and took some images today.

When processing DNG files in Photoshop what profile is best to retain the natural Leica look, does Adobe alter this by default?

Any help on workflow or links to advise on the subject would be helpful.

Many Thanks

Flyer

Do you mean what profile to set in Lightroom Develop? I always just use Adobe Standard. You can easily experiment (and its non-destructive) there for whatever suits your taste and style. As long as still in Lr you can change/experiment as much as you like with no permanent changes. My SL2 is used for studio with models. My workflow is to sort, rate, crop, develop, adjust WB etc etc etc in Lr and just go out from there (Ctrl E on PC) to Ps for detail retouching etc. I have a studio preset saved (import sharpening etc) that can be applied on import

1: There is no such thing as a "Leica natural look"

2: The DNG file all the information for the starting point in developing the image. How you develop the image is totally up to you.

3: I use Lightroom to develop the images, if you use PS, then you are first using ACR (as does LR).

4: There are probably quite a few free or paid profiles on the web to get you started.

5: A very good introduction to profiles for Leica cameras, by David Farkas, can be found for free at https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2020/04/lightroom-presets-for-leica-cameras/    His SL2 profile is not quite to my taste, but I used it as a base for my own SL2 profiles. 

6: LR now has a slew of adaptive profiles for all sorts of subjects, all nice as starting points.

7: The various parameters of the profiles are shown in the develop panels.

• Like 1

Adobe Standard usually has a less processed look than Adobe Color, which adds a bit of contrast/clarity somehow. If you switch back and forth between them, you will see it. The "embedded" profile is provided by Leica, but they also work with Adobe to create the standard profiles, so it is not like one is necessarily correct. Embedded tends to be more saturated and have different colors. Personally I had really good experiences with Cobalt Imaging's profiles for the S3, where I did not like the stock profiles, so I purchased that and use it exclusively. They seem to be higher quality profiles than I can make with a custom profiling tool like the color passport. They treat gamut clipping better and have cleaner shadows. I also prefer it over Adobe as the skies and greens look more natural to me. Adobe always has quite cyan skies and often the greens are pushed a bit towards yellow for my taste. But the Adobe Standard profile is pretty good in the SL2. Even Adobe Color is not that bad, but I would prefer to start with fewer contrast adjustments.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2023 at 7:57 AM, Luke_Miller said:

Lightroom profile browser shows an embedded profile available in the DNG.  I assume it is a Leica developed one.  Should be available in ACR as well.

Something I had forgotten in recent use. I don't see a link to Embedded profile in the Lightroom Classic Profile Browser. Could you describe where that is found pleaser?

Thank you. I have Lightroom Classic 13.0.2 and the legacy group is not shown in my Profile Browser. I have to investigate why. Not intending to take over the SL2 profile discussion in general'
EDIT: I found that the legacy Profile set was not selected when I looked in Manage profiles.
Thanks for your help

Edited by hoppyman

3 hours ago, hoppyman said:

Thank you. I have Lightroom Classic 13.0.2 and the legacy group is not shown in my Profile Browser. I have to investigate why. Not intending to take over the SL2 profile discussion in general'
EDIT: I found that the legacy Profile set was not selected when I looked in Manage profiles.
Thanks for your help

I would encourage you to try out Capture One, a far superior convert and workflow, in my (and many other professionals) opinion.. makes me SL files absolutely sparkle. 

• Like 1