A confession…

Olaf_ZG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Except for the image thread I ignored this subforum: the 240 has video, I couldn’t care less, it is thick, the m10 is so much better, the m8/9 are ccd, heck, even the number doesn’t fit. Why does anyone would like a m240/262?

I didn’t, so I ignored you all…

Till my perspective changed: I wanted a EDC, and my m10m is just a tad too expensive to be used by me for this, the SL just a tad too big. A 240 or m9 might serve well. 

I never considered this M one to be bought. But after a weekend reading this sub forum, I bought myself a almost new m-p. Looking forward to receive it, sorry for ignoring it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, david strachan said:

I have an M-P.

I'd like to see your assessment and humble pie after a few months use.. :lol:

I will keep you posted. Intended usage is during day, so so wouldn’t be a problem, and even at the next night, a small fill would be enough.

• Like 2

I love my M240 M-P. 

I would have probably waited for the M12 or M13 to upgrade, but I got increasingly frustrated with my eyesight/ rangefinder focusing so I went the SL2 route. I find it hard not to use the SL2 now, but when I need small I take the M. 

I still look back through the files of all those years it was my main camera and wonder at the quality of images it produces. 

I wish you luck and enjoyment with your new purchase. 

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, sometimesmaybe said:

dangerous pastime 😉

Anything related to Leica, not passing a Leica store is the most expensive event in my life, save for divorce.  

@Olaf_ZG

Try out the red viewfinder framelines, it's the only series of Leica's to have this feature originally found in the M9 Titanium.   As setuporg mentions the M60 is a very special camera.  

The Leica M 240 Camera Review by Steve Huff | Steve Huff Hi ...
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

What I appreciate a lot after using M240 family for a while is the "infinite" battery life.

So when I use M240 + M246 and my wife the M262, we can count on the three batteries inside for a week.

Incredible in digital world.

The M-D (typ 262) is another wonderful M (using same infinite battery life)

• Like 7

Trying the SL2 and the M240 at the same time, I walked around the camera store, taking shots, the 240 helped me get my most creative shot in that say 10 min window for those two cameras. You could say it kind of one my affections, because the SL was winning just by its form factor. So I do understand where you are coming from and Congratulations!!!

Mark

On 12/3/2023 at 6:07 PM, darylgo said:

Anything related to Leica, not passing a Leica store is the most expensive event in my life, save for divorce.  

@Olaf_ZG

Try out the red viewfinder framelines, it's the only series of Leica's to have this feature originally found in the M9 Titanium.   As setuporg mentions the M60 is a very special camera.  

Darth Vader:
If you only knew the power of the Dark Side.

• Haha 1

My first taste of an M camera was the M10. I thought the world of it and it's definitely a great camera. I then tried an m240 and realized that for my uses, it's 90% or more of what the M10 offered me. The photos and colors depended more on the lens I was using than the body itself, at least from my experience. The biggest thing for me though was the size difference and the m240 is perfect for me. I wear an XL size glove and it's so much easier to hold the m240 than the M10. My fingers start feeling cramped on that camera whereas it feels perfectly fit and natural on the m240. Even though it's an older camera at this point, the m240 is a fantastic value for sure. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Started off using my first digital M with a used but in mint condition M-E 240 camera in 2020 after getting my first Leica M6 in 2015. Already in 2020 the M 240 series was the best to get regarding price vs. performance with Leica M. IMO this hasn't changed since - the M 240 series is still a very good deal to get. Before purchasing my M-E 240, I read a lot of reviews about the M 240 series, and many were mixed and not too great about this series. None of the often mentioned culprits of this series became an issue for me: I never bothered with a bit bigger camera body size, I actually like the shutter button with self-timer and lock positions better than in successor models, the dated sensor provides wonderful film-like color gamut which I prefer, battery life is great, and the menu is easy to navigate and to get used to. I am lucky that this camera came with the increased 2 GB buffer same as in the M10 and the M-P 240. Only cons from my experience is highlight recovery and if ISO above 6400 is needed - easy to work around, and I normally don't need high ISO performance in color photography. 

Using my M-E 240 for 3 years made me this year to take the jump and getting another very well-maintained used monochrome M 246 camera where I can use the same battery and VF-2 external viewfinder. I am shooting B&W film much less since I have my MM 246 - it is really this good. To my surprise it can easily handle ISO above 6400, too. Highlight recovery is improved over the M 240 sensor, too. This MM 246 does all I need for B&W - I don't see myself upgrading to a newer Leica monochrome camera at any point soon. 

Regarding value, I think that the M 240 series will continue to slightly drop in value over the next few years in the used market when also prices for M10 and M10-R models come further down. I suspect the M 240 will level out and remain somewhere around $2K. It will never become a collector item like the M9 which is also a bit overhyped now and goes for much more than it is actually worth is. But getting now a M 240 series camera depending on the model  between $2.5-3K is not a bad deal since most of its original monetary value has depreciated. "Losing" less than $1K for the next number of years using it and still likely being able to sell it for about $2K is IMO a no-brainer. This said, I likely won't sell my M 240-based cameras even if I decide to upgrade in the future - especially since my next upgrade is most likely a future "EVF M" camera (already speculated about) which would add nicely to this rangefinder-based M, but this is a different topic. 

Edited by Martin B
  • Like 2