Summilux 28mm VS. Summilux 35mm image-quality-wise

BjarniM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can anyone share some experiences how the Summilux-M 28mm compares to the Summilux-M 35mm (2022) in terms of image quality and character?

I have read reviews about the two lenses on their own, but I have not seen any side-by-side comparison of the two lenses when speaking about image quality.

It is hard compare those two  lenses... I only have 28 Summilux, but I've had it from the introduction. I used it with M 240 and now with M10R and M11Monochrom. Image quality is by mine criterium very high, although some report, it is prone to chromatic aberation... however, it has typical summilux character, probably less so compared with 35 and 50 summiluxes. It's general opinion, that all Leica 28 M lens are very good, they are just of different character (all 4 version of them). 

I own the latest version of the 35mm lux and had the 28 lux on loan. In my opinion, both share similarity many values of modern Leica lenses

1. Sharp from wide open with a good resolution on the edges of the frame

2. Significant vignetting wide open (less on the 35)

3. distortion is not a problem 

The 28mm shows more CA in out-of-focus areas and a tendency to purple fringing in the highlights, all controllable in post.

Both lenses are built to high image quality standards, the 35 has less issues with CA and vignetting. The image of the 35 is cleaner, the 28 has more „character“ (aka optical flaws that makes it easier to distinguish from the other 28mm Leica lenses). 

the 35 is the clear winner in size and handling (close focus, lens hood, filter thread) and view finder blockage. The latter is the most challenging part. I use the 28 focal length mainly for landscape and architecture and less for people on the streets, so lacking about a quarter of the field of view in the optical finder is the biggest concern for me.

finally - although the 28 Lux is an impressive lens, I might go for the 28 Cron instead. 

22 hours ago, BjarniM said:

Can anyone share some experiences how the Summilux-M 28mm compares to the Summilux-M 35mm (2022) in terms of image quality and character?

I have read reviews about the two lenses on their own, but I have not seen any side-by-side comparison of the two lenses when speaking about image quality.

I have had the 28 Summilux M lens for about three weeks now. Previous to then, my 35 M Summilux was never really off the cameras which consist of SL2, SL2S, M10M and M Monochrom. The 28 1.4 is so much sharper than the 35, 1.4. Not that the Summilux 35 isn't super sharp too.  The 28 is sharper at the "critical sharpnest" point. 

After that critical focus point the fall off of the 28 is maybe even too much bokeh, it's really nice and more dramatic than the 35 lux. The 28 Summilux has that aged, yesteryear look which is still a good look today. The 28 is softer in the depths of the bokeh and I like it much more than the 35 Summilux. I love both lenses and also the APO 35 SL lens is a dream lens where everything is perfect, good perfect, surreal perfect with no vignetting, and sharp across the corners. The 28 Summilux maintains a century of character where as the SL APO's are modern. Well the 35 Summilux seems to be a more modern lens compared to the 28 Summilux. Both lenses have great character in different ways, and the 28 adds a very pleasing critical sharpness. 

Its hard to decide sometimes which 35 Leica lens I will use on any given day but for the moment its all 28 Summilux Asph 

Best

• Like 1

M Monochrom Camera 28 Summilux 1600 iso probably f2/2.8 for the image of the woman and F 1.4 withe with the silhouette. The second image has grain added.   

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Ken Abrahams
added camera details
  • Like 4

Majesty's Theatre - stopped down using the M9M; ladies crossing the road image is SL2S and almost appearing high key but no blown highlights at all. The Summilux lens can resolve a bit more light and hold that "brightness" somehow? It can be a pleasing glow of which both 28 and 35 M Summiluxe can produce. The man image with blue negative space is the 35 Summilux and also very sharp on the SL2S. The girl at the station is wide open 35 Summilux, on the SL2S. I purchased a ND filter (4 Stop) for the 49 mm filter size of the 28 Summilux when using the M10M and M Monochrom cameras. The SL's shoot fast and can work in lower ISO settings which is handy when using the 28.      

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8