Elmar 65/3.5 or Elmarit 90/2.8?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, the good old Visoflex housing still seems to be the best option...

One might even combine a Macro-Adapter-M with the Novoflex Lem/VIS and the 16464+lens to get near the bellows' range:

Here the "Leitz" logo from the Visoflex front with the 65mm Elmar and this combination:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Well, pizza prices have gone up recently, though I fear I'd need some more to get into the bellow's "range".

Though you are certainly right: Visoflex-housing and bellows are still the most versatile and even the least expensive option.

Here the proper combination with Visoflex III+bellows II and lens head of the 90mm Elmarit:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

13 hours ago, UliWer said:

Yes, Novoflex still offers the LEM-Vis-Adapter as a substitute for the Visoflex housing:

Though after all I still find the Visoflex III housing the most comfortable. You can fix the mirror in upper position so it won't bother your sight by Liveview and remove the release lever (which is reversible). The Visoflex III is not heavier than the LEM-VIS and much lighter than the combination of R-Adapter and 14127 or 14167. Both versions of ring adapters will show vignetting with long focal lengthes, which the Visoflex doesn't. The Viso also gives you an additional position for a tripod (the LEM-VIS doesn't) and you can easily change from landscape to portrait mode (which the R-to-M-adapter doesn't allow). 

Looks like it's better to stick with the visoflex housing (I have I, II & III versions) & OUBIO (the combo of these makes ~61mm length) for visoflex/screw long FL lenses

just found this equivalent adapter (61mm) online  (Leica Visoflex LTM L39 M39 Mount Lens to Leica M Camera Body Tube Accessory V24) - are there other versions/brands of this circulating?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126167649494?hash=item1d602d8cd6:g:4wcAAOSwBENlRC4R&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8L566lgAfDxQk6E1kL3DPvUe8ymcHx63w%2BsRF95kIXupbeHexci5Xgz%2BQ28puxVonutqCCyJ0fDqW3oyQGaCNpL0UzobQrjQmjAul15ZN8dq7dCjso1BHSlkWakY4MZRHwsdcceA%2BeDz3mJI%2FJKFFmnvPLg7%2Biq%2F%2FJjZpV9mG8pUfQoV%2FTibiy%2F1cRLoy10zx6LCMdF7TYmIsL6Z%2Bu6yVhhmL7ZDWoQISG8mgXQcS%2Bf6lt3T3vCK79KW3mz6wCdg3uCB4MzzSO3GRv0vi%2F2OulVds26c3KcrE%2F%2FKvYhkr2XAIppDpwZu4NpCHwBPqBLKtg%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBMzPqCs4Jj

Edited by romualdo

On 11/28/2023 at 1:24 AM, romualdo said:

Looks like it's better to stick with the visoflex housing (I have I, II & III versions) & OUBIO (the combo of these makes ~61mm length) for visoflex/screw long FL lenses

just found this equivalent adapter (61mm) online  (Leica Visoflex LTM L39 M39 Mount Lens to Leica M Camera Body Tube Accessory V24) - are there other versions/brands of this circulating?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126167649494?hash=item1d602d8cd6:g:4wcAAOSwBENlRC4R&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8L566lgAfDxQk6E1kL3DPvUe8ymcHx63w%2BsRF95kIXupbeHexci5Xgz%2BQ28puxVonutqCCyJ0fDqW3oyQGaCNpL0UzobQrjQmjAul15ZN8dq7dCjso1BHSlkWakY4MZRHwsdcceA%2BeDz3mJI%2FJKFFmnvPLg7%2Biq%2F%2FJjZpV9mG8pUfQoV%2FTibiy%2F1cRLoy10zx6LCMdF7TYmIsL6Z%2Bu6yVhhmL7ZDWoQISG8mgXQcS%2Bf6lt3T3vCK79KW3mz6wCdg3uCB4MzzSO3GRv0vi%2F2OulVds26c3KcrE%2F%2FKvYhkr2XAIppDpwZu4NpCHwBPqBLKtg%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBMzPqCs4Jj

Fine.... looks like my LEM/VIS ver.1 with an OUBIO built onto (to say, the functionality of a TXBOO) ... and it has even the 6 bit receptacles (their practical usage is questionable) : from China, I suppose.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

• 4 weeks later...

The advantage of the Visoflex is that both the prisma and the chimney ocular gives a very clear and easily focussed image (-not like the ease of the amplified and enlarged electronic views one may get, but still adequate in normal light). the other day I had to digitize a slide while my usual Olympus bellow plus apo-ronar was away, so I mounted the (black) elmar on a novoflex outfit and succeeded.

p

For those considering a 65mm Elmar, I would suggest looking for a black series 2 version. Mine was sadly stolen by some school kids when I was working in a museum, digitising two Victorian Flower Books (very large, near A1 size, books of pressed flowers). I was doing some close ups using the 135/4 Tele-EImar head on a Novoflex bellows on the Visoflex, so the 65 Elmar was sitting on the table behind me. I replaced the series 2 with a chrome series 1 version, which was all I could find at the time but it is neither as sharp nor as flare resistant as the series 2. Flare resistance is important when you are illuminating the subject with a series of LED "snoot" lights. I stopped doing museum work soon after this incident, as they were very slow payers and the whole event left me rather deflated. The unhelpful and unpleasant teachers refused to do a bag search to locate the lens. I have never therefore, got round to swapping the series 1 65/3.5 for a series 2. 

Wilson

As a user of only analog camera's I like to use both versions of the Elmar 3.5/65mm on Visoflex. A few years ago I could buy the Macro-Elmarit-R 2.8/60mm for a very nice price and six months later the same person who sold me the lens sold me his R4 for an equally nice price. So every now and then I decide to use the R4 with that only lens I have when I do some macro things.

Lex

Since I got a rather cheap but (at this time) flawless Macro-Elmarit-R my 1:3.5/65mm Elmar became unemployed. Though it was exactly during the time when this thread started in November that the focussing mechanism of the Macro-Elmarit became defective. So it had to go to the "doctors" and my 65mm Elmar was used again. Did I see any difference? Perhaps if I had seen the results side by side, but not in reality. 

Edited by UliWer

The 100mm APO Macro-Elmarit-R is a step up from the Non-APO 60 mm but is really too big to use on an M. I use mine on the SL 601 as well as my R bodies. For reprographics work where a very flat field is required, I normally use a Novoflex Noflexar 60mm-R. However this has to be used on a bellows (I use a Novoflex/Leica BR-2 16880 bellows), as it has no internal focusing. 

Wilson

I agree with the positive things said about the 65/3.5 Elmar. I also use the 90/4 Elmar head with my Viso II but I find the 65mm focal length much more versatile. I like it so much that I wish someone would make a 65mm in LTM mount. How about it Voigtländer?

Edited by Doug A
  • Like 1