Question: A Different take on a bag for the Q series

Dr. G

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been looking for a bag that I can carry my Q3 in for formal events that I'm attending as a guest but still want to have my camera with me.  I'm not opposed to luxury brands, but it should be stylish, small and unobtrusive and maybe be able to fit the Q, wallet, phone, spare battery and maybe a small lens blower.  Any suggestions?

Domke FX5B - it's the only camera bag I have used for the past 20+ years for any of my cameras.  HOWEVER, it is not stylish so may not fit your criteria.  FWIW, I have a fancy (expensive) leather bag that I bought a couple of years ago for my M10R BP.  I had carried it and two lenses in the Domke bag but bought the fancy leather one thinking that an M10R BP "should" have a nice leather bag.  I carried it once and then went back to the Domke.  It added weight - more than the camera itself - and provided no functional advantage.

Something in leather by ONA might be worth looking at - or one of the cheaper but still high quality knockoffs from Amazon.  I use (among others) the brown leather Bowery, but it might be a bit big for your needs.  They make a smaller one, but I can’t remember what it’s called….

Ask two photographers, get 3 opinions 🤣

Bags are such a personal preference thing. I've got a closet full of them. I'll vouch for the Domke FX5 suggestion. I personally use and prefer the ThinkTank Retropsective 5 v2

It fits all you mention, which I also carry in mine (plus a small slim powerbank and cable, card wallet, lens pen, strap) For more formal stuff perhaps black is better than the pinestone I show in my attached photo. What you can't tell from my photo is that on the outside is a fold-open pocket that I'll use for a water bottle or something else when I'm shooting nature or on the go with it.

Good luck!

Joel

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by MindsEye
typo

wotancraft, oberworth, ona, etc? Though I havent used them since they are super pricey. I do think the peak design branded ones mentioned earlier are fine too.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, MindsEye said:

Ask two photographers, get 3 opinions 🤣

Bags are such a personal preference thing. I've got a closet full of them. I'll vouch for the Domke FX5 suggestion. I personally use and prefer the ThinkTank Retropsective 5 v2

It fits all you mention, which I also carry in mine (plus a small slim powerbank and cable, card wallet, lens pen, strap) For more formal stuff perhaps black is better than the pinestone I show in my attached photo. What you can't tell from my photo is that on the outside is a fold-open pocket that I'll use for a water bottle or something else when I'm shooting nature or on the go with it.

Good luck!

Joel

You've got my vote on this one.  This picture from earlier this year;

• Like 1

I think your answer will be so subjective that you probably should walk in some high end photo shops and/or Leica boutiques and try some bags. Or at least order from online shops that have good return policies.

There are 2 very personal aspects to a high end photo bag:

Are the functional aspects (inside room and dividers, pockets,  flaps, zips/locks etc.)  good enough for you?

Is the haptic feeling and visual appearance to your taste?

I don't think you can fully judge the second point without having the bag in your hand and the first one can also be deceptive in pictures. Anyways, I wouldn't splash the money for say an Ona Bag or Oberwerth without touching one. 

• Like 3

Indeed, try a shop that has Oberwerth and Billingham, depending if you want a leatherbag or canvas or something hightech. I love my Billingham Hadley that you might want to have a look at if you want to store more than the camera, I aslo have a smaller one for one camera only that also takes one of my Nikons if she has to, but nothing else. Oberwerth look extremely pretty and very much for formal events - our Leica store has them naturally - but I like something more rugged and fully watherproof (I assume the leather that Oberwerth uses is good enough as well, but have not tried one). The Billinghams age very nicely and you do not have to look after them too much. But in the end, you have to decide, go touch them an fill them up with what you usually want to carry and see what you like best. Saves you the return hazzle.

• Thanks 1

What about the Billingham Hadley Pro small?

• Like 1

Another vote for the Billingham Hadley small pro.
Note the image @jaapv posted above is the small and not the small pro. The pro has a carry handle and document pocket on the rear. It’s perfect for my Q3, a small water bottle, power bank, sweets (essential) and a few other small bits and bobs. Comes in lots of colours too. 

• Like 3

Currently using national geographic sling bag.
Was looking for 1 that’s slightly wider to minimise the shutter button being depressed when in bag, and also with a zip(prevent theft). 
‘But unable to find it yet. 

Kalahari Kaama if you like leather. For example the L-12. 

Ona Bowery in leather.

other smart bag companies like oberwerth.

if you want a leather bag on the cheap which looks good, you can’t go wrong with MegaGear, which are sold on Amazon 

Also try Acme if you don’t want leather or Billingham like the Hadley digital

Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 10 is very small, camera, couple of cards and a battery. There is a handle, a strap if you want or as I do: belt buckle. Very handy. Black rain cover included, covers everything. Don't think it can get any smalerl and less obtrusive than this.

• Like 1