All is quiet in the M10 forum

setuporg

vor 1 Minute schrieb Al Brown:

Somebody wrote here on the forum that only 57% or so of Porsche owners are happy owners.

It's all about psychology. If a product is priced at the top end of the market (both Porsche and Leica products obviously are), customers will often be extremely picky and disappointed easily. Sometimes, but not always, there are unrealistic expectations involved, too. Triple price does not mean the product will be three times better. I do, however, agree that companies charging top prices for their products should place a lot of attention to customer satisfaction (they usually do).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DadDadDaddyo said:

Yup, and 67.253% of statistics quoted in posts are made up on the spot...

Hey, don't diss the messenger... also, it is in fact 67.274% because your numbers indicate the expanded (un)certainty with a 99.7% confidence interval only.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Had a D-day M11 and kept it about 6 months. Then realized I was not using the camera at all, or at least less and less each and every day. Tired of motion-blurry pictures - only blaming myself for that. Replaced it by a Q3 for the everyday photography, and that was the best move ever. No regrets even if on some aspects the M11 is a very good tool. The only M I kept is the M10M.. Did not even look at the M11M, while I’m sure it’s a great camera.

All this to say the Leica offer is very wide, and everyone can find the good combo for a given usage and / or practice…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, setuporg said:

It’s clear to me that those who have no freezes simply haven’t exercise FOTOS in various scenarios where it’s supposed to work.

That is not clear at all. There is no denying that you and too many others had grave experiences that should not happen at all, especially not in a product as expensive as this. But it does not mean that everybody else is just not using Camera with (or without) Fotos enough. I assume Leica did some quiet HW changes as my camera (March 2023) had zero issues yet, despite using Fotos extensively. I had a situation were I thought the camera was freezing over night after using Fotos, but it turned out that the Bluetooth connection to the camera had stayed on after downloading in the evening, and drained the battery over night. That should not happen either, but is not something I consider a freeze. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/5/2023 at 2:15 AM, Photoworks said:

The dynamic range alone makes all the difference.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have had absolutely zero problems retrieving my highlights with M10-R. Also the chart shows that every new digital M only gains about a stop of DR so there is REALLY NOT THAT MUCH difference between M10 and M11 - just about one stop which reflects in highlights retrieval. No fabled ultra dynamic range, no miracles, just photography knowledge on how to expose properly.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 6

If I read this forum, I wouldn't have bought an M11. Fortunately I didn't read this forum until after I bought it. Since December 2022 (almost 11 months) I've had 4 freezes total. More than my Nikons but not that bad. I would never have bought an M10 but the removal of the base plate on the M11 along with a bigger battery and the 60MP sensor with more dynamic range were what pushed me over the line to buy my first Leica M. Leica M always seemed a step behind to me before but the M11 had the ingredients for better image so I tried it, and it you do everything right it can produce spectacular images. My local store seems to be selling a steady stream of M11 and I don't think they ever did with the M10. I don't think the M11 is perfect, but I definitely don't think it is the disaster this forum makes it out to be.

2 hours ago, bcaslis said:

I don't think the M11 is perfect, but I definitely don't think it is the disaster this forum makes it out to be.

The M11 is the best digital M camera Leica ever made. Nobody here said it was a disaster.

Is it just a nasty kick in the face when you experience frequent freezing flaws on a 8,750€ camera. It is infuriating.

I have four other camera systems and none freezes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It’s the same on all forums in every walk of life, people tend to defend their choices. I’ve tried out a model from every generation of digital Leicas and I can form an argument for and against each one really.

m8 - most filmic vs ir contamination issues, low res

m9 - best colours vs crap iso performance, corrosion issues. Slow. 

m240 - best battery life, it has video, best value, most reliable vs fattest M. It has video!

m10p/r - best shutter, last of the classic M vs not so good battery life, 24mp sensor falling behind other brands.

m11 - best dynamic range, great battery, best visoflex experience vs firmware issues, inferior shutter sound to previous gen, more ‘mirrorless’ than other M cameras. Images are too clinical.

I think I may just buy one of each generation and be done with it!

Edited by costa43
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

Or, the M10-P is the best digital M camera Leica has ever made, by a considerable margin … in my opinion …

Erm, that title goes to the M9-P. The best digital M camera Leica has ever made, by a considerable margin … in my opinion …

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm still satisfied with my M10-P, it's simple and does its job. 

No need to upgrade, as I don't think I'll see any obvious differences in my photos, shooting with an M10 or M11 (24 mp is fine for me).  

Further, the new M's (e.g. M11-P) have now reached a price point where I'm not willing to invest in a new one anymore.

• Like 6