Anyone have experience with how M-APO 35 ASPH compare to S 45 ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello and thank you everyone for your  experience and opinion,

I have S006, S3 which are used with S45, S100, S120 and S180 lens. 

Apart from S system, i also have M10r BP and MP films camera which normally pair with some older lens such as 35 pre-FLE or 50 summilux pre-asph.

However, i am now considering getting M 35 APO to pair with my M10R as general purpose lens for any walk around or family trip where i wont bring the whole S system with me. 

My consideration for this lens is due to,

- I have used 50 APO before and find the lens character have certain degree of familiarity to S lens 

- I love the files i get from S 45 and hope that 35 APO might share that similarity while having smaller form factor overall

- I believe this lens will be very versatile due to 0.3 close focus capability as well as cropping potential when pair with M10R so it could serve as my one len one M body combo when i just want to walk around while having light equipment.

So would love any suggestion on how well this lens perform compare to S lens and how well it could compliment the S system

Thank you and sorry if my English is a bit messy. 

I own both , never have compared directly.

IMO no M lens on M camera would beat S lens in regards of pure IQ. Specially vignetting the S lenses will win, and skin tones and natural look of the larger sensor as well.

However the 35 APO with the close focusing limit is a great lens and so small and th close focusing distance is a real benefit for my taste. Of course you have to bring an EVF.

I also own both and have not made a direct comparison (the 35APO so far used only on the M11M). The image quality of the S lens is impeccable. The 35APO M is fantastically sharp but vignettes quite a bit, even beyond full aperture. This is not the case with the 35APO SL or the 50APO M (a lens you say you have experience with).