Effect of gaffer tape on M11 black coating?

Kiwimac

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why not just buy a half body case, scuff it up so it looks old and worn and be done with it. It will protect your camera and make it look like junk. Covering your nice camera with crappy tape for a couple of years really sounds horrible. I don't know where you are traveling that there are such sophisticated. thieves, but if it is that high a risk area, perhaps take a lesser camera or get a good insurance policy.  

• Like 3

On 9/10/2023 at 4:04 AM, Kiwimac said:

It’s more to do with protecting the body from scratches and rub marks. 

So get a leather or faux leather half case. Don’t gaffer tape the whole thing. Cover the dot if you want sure or stick a Sony bade on it but don’t gaffer the whole body.

Gaffer is also really sticky with glue residue.

• 2 weeks later...

I would just cover the dot with tape if it feels better when admiring it on the desk, but it's not going to influence whether someone is trying to steal a camera. I would imagine that the body language will give it away far more than the finish of the camera. One has to be very near to see whether its got tape on it or not. Holding a camera/gadget up with a nice shiny lens element in a dubious area could be a target irrespective of the amount of tape. Can't gaffer tape that element!

To speak about the protection..The finish on these M11's seems far hardier than the M10 and below. No shiny bits or paint removal from general wear and tear at least on the examples online and my one which was a year or so old when i purchased. Perhaps if that is a real worry then simple black masking tape a few layers on the corners will protect more so and not leave residue.

Edited by rich_
  • Like 1