Bring a panorama option to the M11

jeri

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/12/2023 at 1:16 AM, jeri said:

Sixty megapixels allow a wide field of action for photographers. And the Leica M11 is a camera with excellent capabilities, which until now - about a year since it rolled into my hands - functions well, and I really have no complaints against it.

Which is now being the case, I looked for the panorama parameter in the camera menu, but even though I searched well I couldn't find it. And this is true, because we are talking about small things, and why should I disturb the genius of Leica, because even the late Henri Cartier-Bresson did not bother to take panoramas...

But kidding aside, I would be very happy if in the next firmware point of the Leica M11, Leica would allow us to have a built-in panoramic crop in the camera. As mentioned, I would be more than happy if I could choose between the different frameworks and relationships (says 1:3 and 1:4). And on this occasion, if anyone from Leica hears me, please add an option to control the Hue parameter and that's it.

*I am attaching a panoramic photo, which I took with an old Leica D-LUX 5, as it allows panoramic cropping.

A panoramic function is usually something that assembles a panoramic image from multiple exposures via the action of moving the camera during the exposure process. The crop mode you're describing is just a format ratio option. That could be either be implemented as a destructive crop like APS-C mode does on SL cameras, or it could be done non-destructively by dropping a marker in the DNG for Lightroom to read and automatically apply the crop on import (and the crop can be reversed if so desired). Fujifilm likes to preview these ratio modes using black bars to mask the image, but I would prefer a system that let me vary the opacity of the mask so that I could see the rest of the scene while composing. I don't like the idea of just having crop marker lines since no matter what color the lines are, they can become very hard to see with certain subjects. Masking with black or black + some percent of opacity is better.

...I mainly use C1, though, which doesn't honor the DNG/RAW crop markers anyway. So while the masks do help me compose, I still have to go back and manually apply my crop in C1. To help that along, I have added my preferred panoramic ratio to the C1 crop tool, which mimics the Fujifilm "XPan" crop of 65:24. Very handy :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

A panoramic function is usually something that assembles a panoramic image from multiple exposures via the action of moving the camera during the exposure process.

The Q2 has this.  As much as I like this feature on that camera and on others I've had, I do hope this gimmick never finds its way into an M.

• Like 2

I can see a certain advantage for a camera firmware driven pano option for people who work with JPGs and dont want to touch a computer;

but for anyone who works with raw files, this is really straightforward to do in a raw converter;

below pano from 4 handheld M11 pics (DNGs) via Lightroom, a matter of 30 seconds work:

Thanks to all the responders. I prefer to run my 'visualization' through the viewfinder or the camera monitor at the time of shooting. The proposal to edit the image into a panorama, by means of cropping in the processing software, is not suitable for everyone.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 12:08 PM, jeri said:

Thanks to all the responders. I prefer to run my 'visualization' through the viewfinder or the camera monitor at the time of shooting. The proposal to edit the image into a panorama, by means of cropping in the processing software, is not suitable for everyone.

What is the objection other than a preference?

All I asked for is that in the near future Leica will incorporate a panorama option feature into the M11 camera. How difficult such a matter can be. Nothing, just good will. Thats all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jeri said:

All I asked for is that in the near future Leica will incorporate a panorama option feature into the M11 camera. How difficult such a matter can be. Nothing, just good will. Thats all.

It seems the ultimate in foolishness that photographers have for years needlessly increased the resolution of their photographs by combining full frame images to make high quality panoramic photographs when it appears all that is needed is to crop out most of the pixels from an $9000 camera. If only they'd thought it through.

All is not lost though, there are much, much cheaper cameras available that can crop to a panoramic format if not exactly a true panoramic image, and there are cameras that can produce a genuine panoramic image (usually on film). I believe even an iPhone can produce a panoramic photograph. There's plenty of choice so I guess it's unfortunate that you chose a camera which is sold to the photographic community based on its simplicity and purity rather than having a full range of built in novelty modes. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 250swb said:

נראה שהטיפשות האולטימטיבית שצלמים הגדילו במשך שנים ללא צורך את הרזולוציה של הצילומים שלהם על ידי שילוב של תמונות מסגרת מלאה ליצירת צילומים פנוראמיים באיכות גבוהה כאשר נראה שכל מה שצריך הוא לחתוך את רוב הפיקסלים ממצלמה של 9000$. אם רק היו חושבים על זה.

אמנם לא הכל אבוד, ישנן מצלמות הרבה הרבה יותר זולות זמינות שיכולות לחתוך לפורמט פנורמי אם לא בדיוק תמונה פנורמית אמיתית, ויש מצלמות שיכולות להפיק תמונה פנורמית אמיתית (בדרך כלל על סרט). אני מאמין שאפילו אייפון יכול להפיק צילום פנורמי. יש הרבה מבחר אז אני מניח שזה מצער שבחרת במצלמה שנמכרת לקהילת הצילום בהתבסס על הפשטות והטוהר שלה במקום לקבל מגוון שלם של מצבי חידוש מובנים. 

Thank you for sending me to other alternatives. such as an iPhone. Really, how did I not think about an iPhone before I invested my money in the Leica M11

Edited by jaapv
ad-hominem removed
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, jeri said:

Thank you for sending me to other alternatives. such as an iPhone. Really, how did I not think about an iPhone before I invested my money in the Leica M11. Come on, don't make me think you put much thought into creating your response.

I didn't put much thought into my reply, but probably more thought than you put into buying a panoramic camera 🤣

7 hours ago, jeri said:

It’s not a “panorama option”, it’s the option to enable format ratios including one or more panoramic/wide screen ratios.

Saying it like you are saying it is drawing out the incorrect assumption that you want the camera to assemble a pano while moving the camera like the iPhone does. I’m not trying to be pedantic here, but it’s important that you use the right terminology if you want to have a chance of getting it. And you’ll have more chance of getting it by asking Leica directly, too.

That said, I wouldn’t get your hopes up until they offer this on the SL cameras.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hdmesa said:

It’s not a “panorama option”, it’s the option to enable format ratios including one or more panoramic/wide screen ratios.

Saying it like you are saying it is drawing out the incorrect assumption that you want the camera to assemble a pano while moving the camera like the iPhone does. I’m not trying to be pedantic here, but it’s important that you use the right terminology if you want to have a chance of getting it. And you’ll have more chance of getting it by asking Leica directly, too.

That said, I wouldn’t get your hopes up until they offer this on the SL cameras.

From the beginning, I aimed for the possibility of adding panoramic frame lines, which would be projected on the viewing screen of the camera. It's a small thing that can make it easier for the photographer in the field (in such a way that it will allow him in real time to 'see a panoramic framing of the photographed subject'). Such an addition should not be an impossible task for Leica. Certainly when you can find similar options for shooting in a crop ratio of 65:24 with Hasselblad X2D as well as with Sigma Quattro and Sigma fp cameras. Anyway, I wish Leica would respond to my request. And on this occasion, I wish you to have a similar option for your LEICA SL as well.

• Like 1

I’ve always liked the X-Pan double wide image format and often crop that aspect ratio in post. 

I suppose you could shoot continuous iPhone style pano using the EVF it back screen in Leica wrote firmware to do so. I can’t see a physical reason why not.