Your current kit

shirubadanieru

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Bronco McBeast said:

I juggle with a dozen highly customized M film cameras.

Here is my M4BP with rare customisations. Who can spot them? With a Summicron Radioactive. 

The 35mm summicron V1 is the bees Knees, despite all the hype for the pre-asph lux: Once one is beyond the bokeh silly, one starts to understand what is real image quality.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Interesting、is it in the shutter speed? That would make it much easier to change for sure, as it can be a pain in some cameras where it’s a bit stiff. Cool set!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Aryel said:

I am currently travelling and took one of my favourite combination:

m3

m2

35 Lux v2

50 summicron rigid

90 Thambar (currently giving the reissue a spin to compare against the ltm)

I had the same problem. Ended up with the 35 Lux cause I love it fully open and need a 1.4.

Just out of curiosity, why do you use the lux 35 with an external viewfinder on the M3, and the 50 on the M2? 

8 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

Not to derail the thread, but I’ll answer quickly : ) First, nothing wrong with people who love this lens, just different experiences / opinion. For me, the original steel rim, alongside the summicron 8 elements, are my favorite 35mm lenses. When I heard Leica was remaking it, and also seeing the great work they had done with their previous remakes (summaron 28, thambar, nocti), I was really excited! What killed it for me was:

- The lack of ‘care’ from Leica, and it just felt like something rushed or that they didn’t even want to do?! If you look at the other reissues, the amount of detail, from the box, to the exact reproduction of the lens, was amazing. If you put them side by side it’s almost impossible to tell them apart, and Leica even made some improvements (e.g. able to use filter on the nocti)…And when they announced those 3 lenses, they really highlighted the history / uniqueness of the lens, made videos with famous photographers, etc. The steel rim reissue announcement was more like ‘We relaunched the M6, our most iconic camera, oh and by the way here’s a reissued lens we are also launching, it’s the king of bokeh (first time hearing this?! Lol)’…and on top of that on the promotional pictures they even had the front of the camera with the screws visible, guessing it was a demo lens, but again it’s the kind of details that make it feel all a bit rushed.

- Then the lens itself, came in a regular box, just like any other leica lens, no special attention given to it…compare that to the other remakes and it’s totally different. The worst thing for me was actually how they turned one of their most beautiful lens design into a much uglier and less functional one, moving from e41 to e46 and changing the infinity lock design. The lens is just unnecessarily fat, the design looks disproportionate, and just feels less jewel like when compared to the original. On top of that, the original steel rim allowed you to use filters + hood together, the reissue did not. Some people may say that e46 filters are easier to find than e41, and yes it is true, but there are e41 filters out there…imagine if they had changed the size of the summaron 28mm remake to e39m, because e34 filters are hard to find, can you imagine how weird that lens would look like…that’s literally what they did here. Then the hoods included, one looked like the original, but was poorly built and would just fall off easily, plus again it was either the hood or the lens filter that you had to choose. The original hood is one of Leica’s most beautiful hoods, it even had a sapphire stone in them! This made the original lens even more beautiful. The new one? A plastic hood that looks like a Chinese eBay remake. Then the other hood, you could use it but you have to attach to the filter, which makes the lens look ugly / bigger…and also didn’t work because it made hard vignetting in all pictures (now solved, but still shows the lack of care / attention put into this release). 

Finally the rendering, while great, it just did not replicate the feeling I had with the original…but I guess by the time I was taking pictures with this lens, I was already too disappointed with the above, so I sold it after a month of using it. 

Interesting. I don’t recall any of this being mentioned by the usual beta tester in his launch review but I only skim read such things unless I’m genuinely interested in buying something, so I may have missed something.

I’d be mighty pissed off if I’d spent upwards of £3500 on something that isn’t quite what it should be but then I’m not someone who particularly wants to see ‘lens character’ in all my images.

Most of my personal work is around landscape and travel photography and I have far cheaper non-Leica alternatives that give me all the lens effect I want to see in portraits.  

I’m sorry to read you chose to sell  the sr reissue so soon after buying it.  It must have been a big disappointment.

Anyway, this thread is about current kit people use. I’m sure the sr reissue has been discussed at length elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

Interesting、is it in the shutter speed? That would make it much easier to change for sure, as it can be a pain in some cameras where it’s a bit stiff. Cool set!

Yes, very welcome especially in cold weather. 

Also, the roundel around the shutter is black paint brass as opposed to silver chrome (which I dislike).

At last, the M4 has Leicavit capability, hence the one attached.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/21/2023 at 12:42 AM, Al Brown said:

Regardless how much money I spend on M lenses, my mother, sister, wife and daughters still cannot tell the difference between the original and the reissue steel rim when I show them the prints. Damn.

Blessed are the ones, who think they could.

On 7/21/2023 at 12:56 PM, Ouroboros said:

Here goes.  From the back:

• my usual travel-with set of 28, 90 & 50 summicron safari edition lenses
  •  

Uf, the 90mm looks huge…

• Like 1

21 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

Just out of curiosity, why do you use the lux 35 with an external viewfinder on the M3, and the 50 on the M2? 

I just like it this way: easier to focus in difficult conditions for shooting wide open and I enjoy framing through the external viewfinder. I use all lenses on both bodies though (one for indoor one for outdoor).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Olaf_ZG said:

Uf, the 90mm looks huge…

Compared to a 28mm summaron -m?  I like 28’s and 90’s, in the image I posted, the 90mm is standing on a raised base which exaggerates the size compared to the other lenses.  
I used a late version 90mm elmarit-m f2.8 for years until I bought the 90mm apo-summicron asph.  The elmarit-m is a great lens and  slightly smaller and lighter than the 90mm asa, but the apo-summicron asph feels better balanced in use on the camera.  It is my favourite M lens even though not my most used.

I never used the 90mm elmarit-m again after I bought the apo-summicron and eventually sold it.  

The 90mm apo.-summicron asph is an amazing chunk of glass.  I don’t think about the size or weight, I travel with it. 

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Thanks 1

Out of the kit I shared, this has been my most used set up these days. M3 & Summicron 50th Jahre (one of the best remakes before remakes were even a thing :p) While I prefer the original Rigid on digital & b&w, the cron v5 is great for color film.

Edited by shirubadanieru
  • Like 7

By the way, just in case people are curious, I took pictures side by side for size difference, and also weighted all lenses (no filter). Sharing below! 

It’s crazy how small the Summilux pre-asph is so small and it also weights the same as the Summicron APO 50mm. The 8 elements is of course tiny and super light (although the Canadian made lenses that use more aluminum weight around 150g).You can also see the different coatings used. 

Summilux is from 1966, 8 elements from 1968, and rigid remake is from either 2002, 2003 or 2004 (depending on where you read it always seems to have different information :p) 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

By the way, just in case people are curious, I took pictures side by side for size difference, and also weighted all lenses (no filter). Sharing below! 

It’s crazy how small the Summilux pre-asph is so small and it also weights the same as the Summicron APO 50mm. The 8 elements is of course tiny and super light (although the Canadian made lenses that use more aluminum weight around 150g).You can also see the different coatings used. 

Summilux is from 1966, 8 elements from 1968, and rigid remake is from either 2002, 2003 or 2004 (depending on where you read it always seems to have different information :p) 

Beautiful looking set ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@shirubadanieru Here is a similar kit i had put together with 90:2.8 “fat” 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 8

40 minutes ago, grahamc said:

@shirubadanieru Here is a similar kit i had put together with 90:2.8 “fat” 

Oh yeah this looks great! How do you like the 90? Design wise it's pretty much a summilux with a few extra cm. 

Edited by shirubadanieru
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

Oh yeah this looks great! How do you like the 90? Design wise it's pretty much a summilux with a few extra cm. 

Yes it’s great. Especially for b&w these are a great match.  And beautifully built which is why I kept it despite preferring the (larger) 90:2v3 for colour 

• Thanks 1

Current kit:

M-A + M11 + M11M

24mm Elmar

35mm Summilux FLE (v2)

50mm Summilux FLE (v1)

CV 50mm Apo Lanthar

CV 75mm Nokton 1.5

90mm Summicron (v2)

Thinking of adding a second 35mm or a 28mm, but just can't decide betweeen Ultron v2 vs Summicron v2 and don't see any compelling option for the 35mm FL apart from the CV 35mm Apo Lanthar or the ultra expensive 35mm Apo summicron. Maybe the new LLL? We'll see. 

Edited by fededuran

3 hours ago, fededuran said:

Current kit:

M-A + M11 + M11M

24mm Elmar

35mm Summilux FLE (v2)

50mm Summilux FLE (v1)

CV 50mm Apo Lanthar

CV 75mm Nokton 1.5

90mm Summicron (v2)

Thinking of adding a second 35mm or a 28mm, but just can't decide betweeen Ultron v2 vs Summicron v2 and don't see any compelling option for the 35mm FL apart from the CV 35mm Apo Lanthar or the ultra expensive 35mm Apo summicron. Maybe the new LLL? We'll see. 

The new voigtlander 28mm skopar f2.8 looks great!

• Like 1