Q/Q2/Q3 as sole travel camera kit? What has been your experience?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently bought a Q2 just for a travel camera.  I used to shoot with a Fuji X-T3 and a Fuji X100F.  I went on a Mediterranean cruise a couple years ago and shot the X-T3 on the first day and missed shots changing lenses.  The second day I shot only the X100F, and it was amazingly exhilarating.  The next three weeks, I only used the X100F and loved the experience.  Since selling the Fuji equipment, I knew that I needed a Q2 for travel.  It’s nice not having to lug lots of equipment around!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Cmurman said:

Enjoyed a 4-day visit to NYC last Fall.  Took with me a Fujifilm body and two Fuji lenses along with my Q2.  Came home with 200 photos..... 160 of them with the Q2.  Learned my lesson... Travel Light!   Heading to Italy soon- and Q3 will be my solo camera.   Good luck-  enjoy!

Went to Italy with my Q2 and other cams.  2500 pictures after 2 weeks only with the Q2 and it was great.  Now I need to go somewhere with my Q3!

Bob

• Like 4

I used to travel with a Q (and later with Q2) as my sole camera while leaving my hefty Sony cameras at home. They are great for this purpose; you won't regret it!

Of course, now I take my M11 with 35 mm or 50 mm, and I feel it's even better than Q as a travel setup - still light and small, but I get to use my preferred focal lengths. :) 

• Like 3

Because of weight reasons I took  my Q2 instead of my SL2 gear with me to a trip to Nice and surrounding  Cote Azur this year in April. And I did not miss my SL2 and the photos were excellent - I used them for a XXL photo book. In the meantime I have got a Q3 and my impression of this camera is even better than that of the very good Q2. With one exception. What I miss with the Q3 is the panorama mode in the scene programs. This mode should be implemented like it is in the Q2 with a soon coming firmware update. I hav contacted Leica Wetzlar regarding this by E-mail and got an answer, that the request was passed on to the people who are in charge of software. 

If you will support this request please write to 

customer.care@leica-camera.com

Your support will be highly appreciated

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rdf said:

Last trip to Boston used the Q2 and iPhone. Q2 when a superior, (almost luscious) nuanced image is wanted and the weather reasonably dry and not too dusty. iPhone for video and during significant rain or blowing particulates. I won’t use Leica in hazardous weather. It isn’t weather proof. The only downside is the lack of telephoto. 

The Q2/Q3 are IP52 weatherproof. No good for horizontal rain and dust storms, but I haven't been shielding mine and have had no problems.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 16 Stunden schrieb OldMan:

I, too, rarely use flash - but it is useful for fill where the subject is backlit

Do you use Lightroom Classic? Did you ever try with the new tools to just choose the backlighted person and light it up. That is easier that mounting a flash or carry one with you. But as a perfectionist you are certainly right.

I fully agree with you that Q3 is the perfect travel camera considering that travel means: Landscape, towns and a bit people. I made my experience with traveling with the Q3: No additional weight, no lenses. And it worked. I was thrilled.

• Like 2

Although I miss the shooting experience of my M traveling with any of the Qs alone is more than enough. Now with the usbc charging I don’t even need a charger. The high resolution makes up for lack of lens choices. 

really the perfect traveling camera

• Like 2

Lurking on here having ordered a Q3 to be a companion to an X-H2S I begin to wonder how much I will use the Fuji. Had planned to use the Fuji as the video machine at a car event and the Q3 for the Images. As there is usually on the lake a regatta, then I would use the Fuji and 50-140. That is the plan anyway.

• Like 1

On my recent trip to Portugal I took my Q2 and Ricoh GR IIIx with me. Q2 for the daily outing when I had a small bag (PD Sling 5L) with me, so I could stow the camera away at various points through the day. I took the GR with me when going out at night and I didn't want to bring a bag, as I could just stuff in my shorts pocket.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, M11 for me said:

Do you use Lightroom Classic? Did you ever try with the new tools to just choose the backlighted person and light it up.

I do, and I do that in a pinch.  But I’d prefer to get it right in camera, not to mention that I sometimes like to use flash for effect and/or to put catchlights in peoples eyes (which I realize you can also do in LRC/PS). 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jbripley said:

I took the GR with me when going out at night and I didn't want to bring a bag, as I could just stuff in my shorts pocket.

I was considering doing the same with my Leica D-Lux 7, but honestly my iPhone 14 Pro Max can probably fill that purpose (realizing that it’s just not the same).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

The Q2/Q3 are IP52 weatherproof. No good for horizontal rain and dust storms, but I haven't been shielding mine and have had no problems.

Yes, thanks. I’ve had repeated bad luck with visible dust entering a (less-well-sealed) Sony, so I’m over cautious and don’t want to test the edge of the limits of the Leica. Appreciate your feedback. 

• Like 1

For a one day/overnight travel I’ll take the Q2 as it fits easily in a carry on bag with few clothes. If I’m going away for a few days and using the same carry one bag, I’ll take my M11 and a lens because it’s easier to squeeze the body and lens into a bag carrying more clothes (and a vast amount of medication 😂)

I'm new to Leica and the Q2, but so far I've been really enjoying it. Not having to think about what lens to bring out lets me focus both on the shooting, as well as the overall trip itself. I do find myself missing longer focal lengths, but not as much as I was expecting.

• Like 1

Hi, I'm currently weight up a Q2/Q3 against a D-Lux7, it would be my only camera (other than an iPhone 14 pro) - thread here: 

How does the digital zoom work on the Q2/Q3? Can the zoom be seen/used through the screen/viewfinder, or only after the shot is taken on a separate device?

Thanks!

Yes, you can see the “zoom” (electronic crop) in the viewfinder.  The viewfinder frame lines resize each time you select a different focal length.  It’s similar to how the frame lines work on the Leica M rangefinders.  I usually leave mine ser at 35mm and adjust from there as necessary.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2023 at 7:15 PM, Steven_nl said:

I have a Canon R5 and a Fuji XT5. Both with a load of lenses. I got tired of carrying all that stuff and changing lenses when on private trips. Although in a lot of situations both kits would be better. Better zoom, better background blur, I prefer taking the Q3. Yoy can get away with almost eveyting. Versitile (cropping is fine with a lens this good and so many megapixels) Great low light, great black and white excelent app for quick sharing. No hassle with lens swapping and just great fun to use. I love it. 

A few minor thing that could ne better, but great. 

I do recommend getting the (old) handgrip. Not hat expensive and makes a lot of difference holding the camera.

Does the old Q2 handgrip fit the Q3?

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Aman:

Does the old Q2 handgrip fit the Q3?

Yes, it does. It is necessary to release it if the battery should be taken out or the SD card. With the new, the battery can be taken out without releasing the grip, but not the SD card. I use the grip for the Q2 monochrom. I like this, because the releasing and fixing again is very convenient with it because this is different to other Q2 grips.