Q/Q2/Q3 as sole travel camera kit? What has been your experience?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am finally starting to travel again post-pandemic and have trips planned in the next 12 months to the Outer Banks of NC, Edinburgh and Paris. I’ve also become obsessed with traveling light (carry on only), restricting myself to a 30L backpack and a shoulder bag personal item. Accordingly, I don’t have much room for camera gear despite the fact that I intend that the trips will include a lot of street / travel photography. So, I will only be taking a Q3 and a small flash with me - with its full frame sensor (to allow cropping) and semi wide fixed (but fast) 28mm lens. Does anyone else use a Q/Q2/Q3 as their sole travel kit and have you found that it has significantly limited you or has it been liberating?  I’m thinking it will be the latter, and it’s certainly marketed that way, but I’m interested in your actual experience (not conjecture).  Fire away!

I have a Canon R5 and a Fuji XT5. Both with a load of lenses. I got tired of carrying all that stuff and changing lenses when on private trips. Although in a lot of situations both kits would be better. Better zoom, better background blur, I prefer taking the Q3. Yoy can get away with almost eveyting. Versitile (cropping is fine with a lens this good and so many megapixels) Great low light, great black and white excelent app for quick sharing. No hassle with lens swapping and just great fun to use. I love it. 

A few minor thing that could ne better, but great. 

I do recommend getting the (old) handgrip. Not hat expensive and makes a lot of difference holding the camera.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Steven_nl said:

I do recommend getting the (old) handgrip. Not hat expensive and makes a lot of difference holding the camera.

I’ve got the handgrip and a Rock and Roll Napa leather wrist strap (super comfortable) with a thumb grip on back order. 

I use my Q3 (and my Q2 before that) as my sole travel camera.  Like you, I like to travel light, and for me the Q3 is the perfect travel camera.  I don’t even take a flash — with the Q3’s dynamic range, I haven’t needed a flash.  It’s compact, light, easy to carry.  I purchased the Q3 specifically to be my travel camera, and I have not been disappointed with it.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, jwr50 said:

I don’t even take a flash — with the Q3’s dynamic range, I haven’t needed a flash.

I, too, rarely use flash - but it is useful for fill where the subject is backlit. Plus my flash is smaller than a deck of playing cards (Godox Junior) so it’s not a packing issue. 

Just before (one week) my holiday to Southwest England my Q3 arrived (how lucky am I). I decided to travel light and did not take my other camera with lenses with me. I never regretted it! Loved my Q3 in all situations (of course no long lens bird photographs) in the city/town for some architecture, during the coast walks for landscapes, a little portrait, a bit of macro, some street photographs…..the Q3 was there.

It is my first fixed focus 28 mm, full frame and Leica experience, but I enjoyed every single day! I had some freezes, but all was solved with taking out the battery.

Of course it is difficult to advice somebody else whose photography habbits I don’t know, but sharing my experience might help you taking the right decision ☺️

Edited by YvonneS
  • Like 2

I was about to reply "of course I travel only with the Q2". But then I take a smartphone as well, as a visual notebook, so not quite "only".

Last month I went to France, only with the Q2.......and a smartphone.........and a Leica MP.

Next week we're off to Edinburgh, only with the Q2.........and a smartphone...........and a Barnack..........and a large format camera (I'll be the guy with the tripod and black hood in the middle of the Cowgate).

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Q2 user for the past 2 1/2 years and I like to travel light as well.  I have found it very liberating on travels and rarely wished I had more gear - although I am definitely in the category of' hobbyist.  Most recently we took a family trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park and it worked well for landscape, family shots, macro, and even a bit of astrophotography.  The only limitations was for wildlife if they were too far away.

• Like 2

The Q, now Q2 has become my only travel camera. Yes there have been occasions when I would have liked to have a telephoto but I have really enjoyed my trips more without the added weight and fuss. Take an extra battery and your charger, leave the fill light behind, you won't need it. 

Have Fun!

• Like 1

I took my Q2 to UK last autumn and never missed the rest of my kit. You simply move your feet and focus on the shots you know the camera can nail rather than attempting the shots it's not equipped to deliver. It's a refreshing and liberating experience.

• Like 6

My Q has been my only camera for five years now.  My previous kit was two Leica R3 bodies (film) and five lenses..

When I went digital I also decided on a minimalist approach to my photography.  Decided on one lens/one body.  So I plan my travel photography around a wide angle perspective.  

Actually just returned from a week long shoot in the Alberta (Canada) Badlands, photographing the landscape and the death of the small rural communities that has been happening here for the last twenty years as everyone migrates to the cities.  After five years of just carrying the Q I am now at a point where I don't find it limiting at all...but as I said it has required me to choose specific subjects and viewpoints.

Gotta admit I don't miss humping around my old camera kit one bit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I only have a Q2; ergo it is my travel camera. I have, however, had three good trips this year and found I used my iPhone 14 pro max as much, if not more, than the Q2. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Q2, it really is superb. The 'phone is just quicker and with 48mp RAW is not too shabby in the photo stakes either.

I certainly do not miss the days of a full D/SLR and a bag of lenses.

• Like 4

Enjoyed a 4-day visit to NYC last Fall.  Took with me a Fujifilm body and two Fuji lenses along with my Q2.  Came home with 200 photos..... 160 of them with the Q2.  Learned my lesson... Travel Light!   Heading to Italy soon- and Q3 will be my solo camera.   Good luck-  enjoy!

• Like 2

Last trip to Boston used the Q2 and iPhone. Q2 when a superior, (almost luscious) nuanced image is wanted and the weather reasonably dry and not too dusty. iPhone for video and during significant rain or blowing particulates. I won’t use Leica in hazardous weather. It isn’t weather proof. The only downside is the lack of telephoto. 

I always travel with the Q2 but I don't think I could use it as my one and only.  It serves as the fast(ish) wide prime in addition to whatever other kit is along for the ride.  

The missus and I can go international for a couple of weeks with just carry on luggage so we're well versed in traveling light with with washable/packable clothes including a suit (SeneStudio FTW!)  etc but I can't live on 28mm alone for more than just a couple of days. 

Edited by liggy
  • Like 1