Leica Q series and photo book quality

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased a Q3 and absolutely love it.  The files on my MacBook are simply sensational.

I do however wish to start printing my images in particular creating good quality photo books A3 and A4 lay flat.

I use Lightroom Classic and plan on using the book creation module within Lightroom.  It is linked to blurb books and printing.

Has anybody used “blurb” and if so , can you please comment on the print quality using the Leica files ? 

Can anybody please recommend any other phot book printing service ?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Adam.

It’s not the route you are planning on, but for the last three years I have done a number of book projects every year using Shutterfly. I have the original Q.

The results rival all but the very high end photo books I have in my library.  The reason they are better has nothing to do with the quality of the files but the quality of the book printing.

I do a couple of local gallery shows a year usually and the Shutterfly books have been good sellers.

When you factor in that one of these books when limited to 20 pages (you can have multiple images per page) costs the same as a 25 sheet pak of 8.5x11 Hahnemuhle (for example)…other than prints for display I don’t print anymore.

I use a service called zno.com

Books (covers and heavyweight paper) are of superb quality. They can make leather covers, or other materials as you desire.

I have not made any wall prints, but I understand they do a really nice job of this as well. 

I’ve used Blurb for a couple of books and it’s decent.  Expect the exposure to need to be bumped about 0.5-1.0 stops before you send the book for printing.  That’s fairly standard for any print though. In addition, I found that I needed to add a little contrast and saturation for the matte paper I chose.  I printed mostly Nikon files but a few Leica images were mixed in.