I designed a charging dock for my Leica M11

Fatih

13 minutes ago, DenverSteve said:

Whether I'm the first, or not, I've purchased mine.  Thanks Fatih

Thanks a lot for your support Steve. Much appreciated. Please let me know if you have any questions once you printed it. If you think there might be some improvements I'll also can make adjustments to the model itself. Any feedback is welcome.

• Like 1

It took my daughter a week to get this printed and a few days for me to set it up but, here it is.  It's a great design and I hope Fatih sells the design to Leica and makes a great deal of money.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First, just want to applaud Fatih for creating this! Very much needed!

Question for those who've gone ahead and had this made. Would the material scratch the finish on the camera? I have a new m11p, so in the early stage where I worry about it marking up with the expectation that it will over time since I don't baby my gear. lol  I know Fatih mentioned potentially lining the inside with some material, but I would imagine that the dimensions would have to change to accommodate a lining. 

I don't use an SD card since the m11p has more than enough storage for me. Ideally, I would love to use this dock to make charging/transferring photos easier.

TIA!

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 11:51 PM, Fatih said:

Thanks to anyone for their kind words. Initially, I didn't think about commercializing it. But I had to buy 3D CAD software to design this model, which cost me $299 (It's Shapr3D if anyone is interested). So I thought I could sell some to recoup at least the money for the software. However, the logistics of selling this design are also not easy. I don't live in the US, and it looks like most of you live in the US. I could provide the 3D STL/3MF files, and there are many online 3D printing services. 

So I decided to provide a way for people to purchase the 3D model:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1503331554/leica-m11-charging-dock

You can print it at home or from a 3D print service. Some you could use: https://i.materialise.com/en , https://www.hubs.com/3d-printing/

For the cable, purchase a UGREEN branded 90-degree USB-C cable: https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Charger-Compatible-Matebook-Nintendo/dp/B07PLYZ7J3 (they are also available in other countries' Amazon stores, such as Amazon.de, or Amazon.co.uk). Order at least two if you want some redundancy for future usage.

I don't know if the pricing is good, low, or high. It's an experiment. Please let me know what you think. Note that I'll pay up to %20 commission, so I'm left around ~$55 (just an estimation). So I have to sell at least 6 copies until I can make the money I paid for the 3D software. 

That seems fair to me. I might add if I had an M11 I would buy into this, it looks darn good and is a credit to you. I bet it is far superior to my pretty darn useless Q3 wireless charging unit which comes with a brick of course and is one of the most fiddliest things I have tried it is going back to the shop as next to useless. Give me an external charger and swap batteries in camera any day.

Would it be feasible to modify the inner bottom to include a space for two of these or similar magnets? My two here are stick to a steel cabinet.

You would need to put two round holes with recessed edges to drop two magnets through and they would then have to be flush with the inner part of your case. The magnets obviously facing downwards on the bottom of the case should be able to be made to connect with your metal case.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by idusidusi