Very happy new owner of M10 Monochrom, should I keep my M246?

Nick De Marco

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know that only I can answer the question, and it is a rather shameful ‘first world problem’, but I can’t help wondering if others have had a similar dilemma, and how they resolved it.

Having had an M240 for about 10 years I finally picked up a used M246 a couple of years ago, and fell in love with it. Fast forward a couple more years to Autumn 2022 and I became a late convert to the M10, picking up a nice used one. A few months later, while trying to work out which camera to take on a much anticipated trip to New York I got a very good price on a used chrome M10-R. That because my favourite camera, and I was very happy I took it to New York. But the inevitable happened and last week I got a great deal on a used M10-M, which I like even more I think. I now think the M10-R and M10-R are really all I ‘need’ (at least in my digital rangefinder department of my ridiculous collection)  - and it’s great to be able to share batteries and lenses between them.

I sold the M240 this week ans I know I won’t be using it again, can get some reasonable return on it, and hope someone with better use for it than me will use it. I was thinking I should probably do the same with the M246, but I am in two minds about it. It’s a superb camera, and it’s some comfort to have a second Monochrom in case something bad happens to the M10M. It also has a couple of advantages over the M10M, which are not that important to me but can be of occasional benefit: (1) I quite like the idea of shooting direct monochrome videos sometime and (2) though my old Olympus clip on EVF is not half as good resolution as the 020 I have got for the M10 it is far less temperamental, which helps for when I want to use Contax slr lenses or various other things I like to play with. If I had to sell the M246 to buy the M10M I wouldn’t think twice about it, and would do so, but right now I’m lucky not to be in that situation. At the same time I hate waste, hence wonder whether it is really sensible to have 2 monochroms. I speak as a rather obsessive camera collector, with well over a hundred film cameras I often try and use as well as admire, but I have never really been into the idea of collecting digital cameras (not intentionally anyway!) mainly because they become obsolete quite quickly. Perhaps the M246 is an exception to that rule?

I haven’t heard an argument to keep it yet, and I can’t find many reasons to use it instead of the M10M so guess I will sell it next week then.

The one big thing, video, I guess if I wanted to shoot monochrome video I’d be much better off with the SL2-S in bw mode anyway. 

• Like 1

When I got hold of my M10M (an Open Box deal from an excellent authorized dealer), I decided to keep my M246. The rationale was that it would be a "backup body".

I carefully stored the M246. And there it sat.

Today (Father's Day in the USA) I have ordered an M11M. Part of the coin to cover it is coming from the sale of that same M246. So I'm now keeping the M10M under the rationale of it being a "backup body".

A couple other bodies are going as well: my venerable SL (601), as well as what remains of my Fujifilm GFX system (now down to a GFX100S and four primes). As a result, the out of pocket cost for the M11M will be minimal. 

I've been aware of a quiet kind of inevitability regarding this trade. I've been in no hurry to make this move, but now, it's underway because I see no reason to hold off either. 

So I think it's fine to hold on to previous bodies like this if it's reasonable for your situation, but also, there's no reason to hang on once our time with them has come to a natural inflection point. 

Embrace the continuity! Embrace the change!

And most of all, use well, with enthusiasm, and in good health!

Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nick De Marco said:

I haven’t heard an argument to keep it yet, and I can’t find many reasons to use it instead of the M10M so guess I will sell it next week then.

The one big thing, video, I guess if I wanted to shoot monochrome video I’d be much better off with the SL2-S in bw mode anyway. 

It is not simply a matter of video capability. The Multifunction Handgrip option exists, for using mains or external battery power, and enables flash options that were lost with the M10/M11 generations. This includes being able to use flash at the same time as a Visoflex. The power to the handgrip need not be supplied by exclusive-to-Leica cables. The way I see it, 246 cameras do not eat much, and do not become jealous when we go out with our younger cameras. If/When I add an M10 Monochrom, I will keep the 246. I see the 246 as a “lifetime” camera, that I will keep regardless of how many future generations of cameras I may use.

I did not even mention the GPS part, because I do not use it. It is simpler to use a my iPhone to capture BTS images or footage, to document locations and times.

I actually bought my first 246 after already using my M10, with which I had started M system shooting. Other than the viewfinder experience not being as good, because I wear eyeglasses, the M 246 seemed like an “upgrade.” The 246 was still current, at that time, and a new 246 listed for more than a new M10, though I bought the 246 pre-owned. I liked my first 246 so much, when a good deal on another appeared, later, I bought a spare.

Edited by RexGig0
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2023 at 11:39 AM, Crowmagnon said:

@RexGig0 Interesting that you loved ur 246! Out of all 4 monochroms 246 gets the least love for its size and blowing out highlights. I think 246 has unique sensor. It's the only 24mp monochrom can give u grain in 6400 iso. U can't get that in new monochroms. 

I have never used the original M9 Monochrom, so never developed an attachment to its image files, a case of “ignorance is bliss.” That might be helping me to “love” the 246. 😉

• Like 1

@RexGig0 True my first mono was 246, when I first held in my had I'm like " holy shit this is a serious tool !" My fomo got me to get m9m, but  246 will always be my ride or die.  This thing loves over cast days .

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Crowmagnon
  • Like 5

I don't think there is any point in keeping 'older' digital M. If you have an M10 Monochrom, I see little-to-no-reason to go and pick up an M246 (or even an M9 Monochrom). 

Having too many cameras can be a bit like hoarding sometimes and we shouldn't be too emotional about it. Also with every new reiteration of Monochrom, you will just see the value of your camera going down and down. The M246 had a huge drop, you can find some for as less as £2500 which is a fantastic entry point for anyone who wants to join the black and white club. If you wait another year it will probably be £2200.

Just my thought.

• Like 2

I see no point to hanging onto expensive cameras unless there is something truly unique about them that you want to exploit. Which begs the question of why you bought a later model of the same camera if it couldn't do that plus more... ??

I'd sell the 246 unless you plan to use it for some unique aspect of its imaging. If you don't do that for a few months, accept that you don't need it and sell it. 

G

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pgh said:

If you’re not hard up for cash I would keep it for the likely time when you’re down to one M camera because the other is in a 2-6 month repair window. 

Why? Has your Leica M required unexpected and frequent maintenance? 

In 50 years of using Leica cameras extensively, I've had to have an M service done exactly twice, and both within a day of receiving a second hand camera. Happened with my M4-2 when I bought it as a bargain grade body from KEH in 2012 and with my M10-R bought secondhand from Tamarkin. In both cases, the service took three-four weeks maximum, including shipping time. My M9 needed a sensor swap due to the corrosion problem, but Leica made an offer for an M-P240 which I accepted, and had its replacement in my hands within nine days.

On the other hand, if you like the old Monochrom and don't need the money, there's nothing wrong with keeping it around as a spare body. :)

G

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ramarren said:

Why? Has your Leica M required unexpected and frequent maintenance? 

In 50 years of using Leica cameras extensively, I've had to have an M service done exactly twice, and both within a day of receiving a second hand camera. Happened with my M4-2 when I bought it as a bargain grade body from KEH in 2012 and with my M10-R bought secondhand from Tamarkin. In both cases, the service took three-four weeks maximum, including shipping time. My M9 needed a sensor swap due to the corrosion problem, but Leica made an offer for an M-P240 which I accepted, and had its replacement in my hands within nine days.

On the other hand, if you like the old Monochrom and don't need the money, there's nothing wrong with keeping it around as a spare body. :)

G

Every digital Leica I've bought (3) had to go back to the factory upon receipt, and and 2 have needed multiple trips. The only one that hasn't is the M10M I bought used - which I suspect will at some point. So far, used is a way more reliable way to go in my experience. The used seller would suffer reputation dings if they sold me what Leica has sold me new. 

42 minutes ago, pgh said:

Every digital Leica I've bought (3) had to go back to the factory upon receipt, and and 2 have needed multiple trips. The only one that hasn't is the M10M I bought used - which I suspect will at some point. So far, used is a way more reliable way to go in my experience. The used seller would suffer reputation dings if they sold me what Leica has sold me new. 

That's truly odd. I've had, lessee ... 7 new digital Leicas in the past 17 years. Not one of them has required anything .. I just use them and they work perfectly. 

The M10-R is the only digital Leica I've purchased that needed a service ... A relatively simple RF collimation and calibration. (It must have been bumped hard while in a case because there are NO marks on the body at all and the out-of-spec RF was plainly obvious.) And it was the only digital Leica I've bought used. 

Such it is.

G

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Personal take here - there is a difference between mechanical, film cameras and digital cameras. The mechanical ones feel to me like a fine machine, worth keeping (if one wants) similar to other fine equipment. Digital cameras are electronically based, and don't engender the same collector's passion (speaking personally). If you like them, and use them, fine, keep them. But just sitting? Naw.... 

The M10M seems for me to be the best of the bunch. Its a fine art camera that is small, has a whole bunch of analog still in it, and has all the bugs worked out. 

• Like 1