Changing the film advance lever on the new M6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just replaced the loose knuckle lever on my M5 and M7s with the MP version.

And in penance acquired a Nikon FG which has a wonderful loose knuckle lever which feels right within its design brief.  I always wanted an FG as I loved the size/design and this one was offered for $40 shipped..  I try not to think that the single little piece of metal that is an MP lever costs five times as much as this entire camera...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Now I need to work out how to put that lever on an FM! The angle of the rigid lever that has to be pulled out to fire the shutter neatly pokes a left-eyed shooter like me where my right eye socket meets my nose. In portrait mode, I can either have it dig into my forehead, or invert the camera and have it stick up a nostril. This dubious design choice was carried forward to all the later FM and FE series cameras except the Cosina-based FM/FE-10. Only the earliest FM variant, which had a separate lock around the shutter release collar, got it right. I should probably seek one out, though this variant has the disadvantage of a focusing screen that requires major disassembly to remove it for cleaning (the later FM screen can be removed with a screwdriver, while the other cameras in the proper FM/FE series have a user-replaceable screen that unclips).

Edited by Anbaric

• 1 month later...

OK, I finally got around to upgrading one of my M3s by changing to the M4 style wind lever. The added clearance of the pivoting end makes it easier to dismount the Leicameter MR, and I still find it a better in-use option than the original M3 style - easier to catch with the thumb and more comfortable. But then I used the M4 and 6 for decades before adding M3&2s to my collection. The lever was one reason I bought my M4 instead of the still-available-new M3 back in 1968. I've never regretted my choice.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

FYI I put the old stock lever back onto the M5.  The MP style lever is much thinner and can ride up over the hot shoe.  This is because the entire film advance lever sits up higher on the M5 than other Ms, as the M5 has the shutter speed dial in the same location.

• 5 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, directedbydon said:

Hi all,

bumping this thread. I wanted to do the opposite with my m-a.

does anyone know what model advance lever will be compatible to swap out my m-a lever to an M4/M7/M6 lever?

The M6 lever will fit. I got them from DAG and replaced the levers on my M2 and 2 M3.