M3 vs. MP advance lever feeling

Advertisement (gone after registration)

22 minutes ago, wattsy said:

However, if your objective is take a few photographs, the modest difference in smoothness really doesn't matter provided the camera can reliably wind on the film when you want it to.

I tend to disagree. If your obective is just to take a few photographs, then you can use a Voigtländer Bessa R3/R2, which is a very, very good camera, takes M-mount lenses and is just a tenth of the price of a Leica.
How you feel when you take those photographs is the main reason for using a Leica in the first place.

Edited by Vlad Soare
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vlad Soare said:

How you feel when you take those photographs is the main reason for using a Leica in the first place.

😂

The Bessa is a perfectly fine camera but the VF isn't anywhere as nice to use and that factor is important. Minor differences in wind on feel, not so. At least IMO. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wattsy said:

The Bessa is a perfectly fine camera but the VF isn't anywhere as nice to use

I'm not sure about that. The 1x magnification of the R3 series is really awesome. That's one thing I still miss. Leica's 0.72x feels crummy by comparison. :)
I'll give you that the rangefinder is much better in the Leica, though.

9 minutes ago, Vlad Soare said:

I'm not sure about that. The 1x magnification of the R3 series is really awesome. That's one thing I still miss. Leica's 0.72x feels crummy by comparison. :)

1x has its attractions but I've owned and used almost all the various RF cameras over the years – X-pan, Epson RD-1, Mamiya 7, etc. – and they all fall short IMO compared with the clarity and precision of the Leica RF.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vlad Soare said:

Try SBOOI

I use sometimes with every M I own the best 1:1 VF even on 0 Replica which is mendatory

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

more ...

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Matlock said:

MPs only seem to be "breaking like crazy" on this forum. In real life they are much more reliable than M3s which, given that M3s are around 60 years old, is hardly surprising. Sadly my M3 is now dead and unrepairable but my MP never misses a beat.

Say what you will. I can speak from my own experience, having had my MP factory replaced 4 times now. And I know plenty of members on this forum and outside with similar experiences. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, Vlad Soare said:

I tend to disagree. If your obective is just to take a few photographs, then you can use a Voigtländer Bessa R3/R2, which is a very, very good camera, takes M-mount lenses and is just a tenth of the price of a Leica.

100% de acord. This is exactly why I use Leica. 

Edited by gabrielaszalos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gabrielaszalos said:

Say what you will. I can speak from my own experience, having had my MP factory replaced 4 times now. And I know plenty of members on this forum and outside with similar experiences. 

But luckily that is not the case in general, the MP is a VERY reliable camera with very low return figures. I am sorry that has not been so for you.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 12:51 AM, gabrielaszalos said:

I recorded the sound with my iPhone. As you can see, there is almost nothing to be heard on the M3 before reaching the end of the advance. Whereas the MP has quite the noise.

M3.m4a 38.13 kB · 35 downloads MP.m4a 40.23 kB · 13 downloads

out of curiousity, is your MP a black paint? 

my MP blackpaint sounds like yours, whereas my silver was silky smooth... it was like when advancing, the film roll gives a slight retention in a way but out of a roll it doesnt always happen everytime i advance the lever

3 hours ago, jakontil said:

out of curiousity, is your MP a black paint? 

my MP blackpaint sounds like yours, whereas my silver was silky smooth... it was like when advancing, the film roll gives a slight retention in a way but out of a roll it doesnt always happen everytime i advance the lever

It is black. Although frankly I don’t think that matters. 

• 2 years later...

I don’t know why people are making ‘a thing’ about the smoothness of film advance, if it matters a Nikon F3 is far smoother than even an M3 or MP, and the film rewind smoother than any Leica. Perhaps it’s better to focus on the general positives of Leica ownership?

• Like 2