Leica user experience with Canon R

lucy63

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I feel a bit naughty talking about Canon here, but here goes..I sent two M11's back after freezing too often and eventually dying on me, but I loved the files from the M11. I've used and loved Leica M's for years but as I've never been the fastest RF shooter in the west I'm considering moving to Canon R5 to use with 50mm 1.2, my fave focal length. Now I'm getting cold feet, will I regret this, will the photos lack the Leica beauty, has anyone here used the R5 and compared how the images feel compared to Leica M9, M10R, M11? 

Thank you.

Both images have millions of colors and many pixels, they both look pretty. I have once asked my mom to tell the difference between my Canon and Leica photos but it was a disaster, she could not point out the amazing M9 Kodachrome quality colors of CCD, nor the fact that it was a black paint body. She said Canon files do look a tad more flat though.

I have considered my crystal ball and it said nothing about you regretting the move, but the tarot cards said get the Leica M10-R (can be on top of Canon) and zen is guaranteed in this life and the next.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

One other member's recent comment about Canon colours. I have no experience of the matter to make my own comment.

The best response has to be: find a shop that will lend you a R5 for an hour, and go out and shoot it alongside another camera of your own that you're familiar with. Take the images home and compare them.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

One other member's recent comment about Canon colours. I have no experience of the matter to make my own comment.

The best response has to be: find a shop that will lend you a R5 for an hour, and go out and shoot it alongside another camera of your own that you're familiar with. Take the images home and compare them.

That's a good idea.

44 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Both images have millions of colors and many pixels, they both look pretty. I have once asked my mom to tell the difference between my Canon and Leica photos but it was a disaster, she could not point out the amazing M9 Kodachrome quality colors of CCD, nor the fact that it was a black paint body. She said Canon files do look a tad more flat though.

I have considered my crystal ball and it said nothing about you regretting the move, but the tarot cards said get the Leica M10-R (can be on top of Canon) and zen is guaranteed in this life and the next.

it's a toss up between the M10R and R5 actually

34 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

TY for the link

Not sure where you are but Canon (UK - anyway) offers a 48 hour free trial on many of their cameras and lenses, you have to pay a security deposit but it's really very easy, as someone above said, far better to try for yourself.

I use an M10R and have Canon R6/R7 - mostly for telephoto work, when I'm using a 50mm usually it's on the M10R.  

No doubt Canon colours are different, having started with Canon, and given most of my most special, memorable and important (to me), photographs were taken with a Canon body, (family stuff from years ago), nothing wrong with Canon colours as far as I am concerned, (purely subjective of course), now what keeps me with a Canon body is their lens line-up.  Many complaints about it being a locked system, that's fine by me, the RF line-up gives me what I need, the RF 70-200 2.8 being my most used lens of all I have whatever system. 

Why? - answer below, size and weight advantage with amazing image quality, full kudos to Canon for that one, didn't quite work the same way with the 50 1.2L the RF version being nearly twice as weighty as the old EF, pretty much the same as all the latest generation fast 50mm's.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

However, if you don't want/need fast AF and tracking, but don't want to miss out on what you call The Leica Beauty, the 50mm SL Summicron, or the Summilux on an SL2,  pretty special combinations.   I gave up my SL2 kit to return in part to Canon because AF/Tracking and long lens line-up was important to me, not sure that is what you are looking for though.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Boojay said:

Not sure where you are but Canon (UK - anyway) offers a 48 hour free trial on many of their cameras and lenses, you have to pay a security deposit but it's really very easy, as someone above said, far better to try for yourself.

I use an M10R and have Canon R6/R7 - mostly for telephoto work, when I'm using a 50mm usually it's on the M10R.  

No doubt Canon colours are different, having started with Canon, and given most of my most special, memorable and important (to me), photographs were taken with a Canon body, (family stuff from years ago), nothing wrong with Canon colours as far as I am concerned, (purely subjective of course), now what keeps me with a Canon body is their lens line-up.  Many complaints about it being a locked system, that's fine by me, the RF line-up gives me what I need, the RF 70-200 2.8 being my most used lens of all I have whatever system. 

Why? - answer below, size and weight advantage with amazing image quality, full kudos to Canon for that one, didn't quite work the same way with the 50 1.2L the RF version being nearly twice as weighty as the old EF, pretty much the same as all the latest generation fast 50mm's.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

However, if you don't want/need fast AF and tracking, but don't want to miss out on what you call The Leica Beauty, the 50mm SL Summicron, or the Summilux on an SL2,  pretty special combinations.   I gave up my SL2 kit to return in part to Canon because AF/Tracking and long lens line-up was important to me, not sure that is what you are looking for though.

Thank you. The 50 1.2 weight is a concern. I'm in Bath, UK and popping to Bristol today to hold the camera and lens. Going from an M and 50 would take some adjustment I think.

• Like 1

In the other thread (linked above) people speak of hepatitis when speaking of Conon skin tones. I frankly cannot understand that and I fully support what @hansvons concludes. For me the skin tones come through perfectly well. I have the R5 and as well the 50mm f/1.2. I use that combination in professional venues. And when sometimes I have the M plus the Canon at the same time later on my screen at home nobody can tell me the difference, resp which image comes from which camera. And most time differences in rendering are a question of taste. 

I am Canon shooter since 1979 with the EOS A1. 

For me Canon is the work tool. And the M11 is the camera I always have with me. It's light, excellent and beautiful 🤪I could not be without that camera. But I must say as well that with my M11 I have no freezing . . . I am simply happy with it.

Edited by M11 for me
  • Like 2

I love Canon colors, and have kept my Canon DSLR equipment, especially for macro shooting, but have not (yet) acquired any EOS R cameras. The important thing to consider, when thinking about using M-mount lenses on non-Leica systems, is that the cover glass, or filter stack, over many digital sensors is too think to work well with M-mount lenses, especially at the wider end of the focal length range. A good place to check for user experiences is at the Fred Miranda forums, in the Leica & Alternative Gear section. There are serious photographers posting there, who use M-mount lenses, on non-Leica cameras. This includes users who have had their cameras modified, by Kolari and other entities, to function better with M-mount lenses.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RexGig0 said:

The important thing to consider, when thinking about using M-mount lenses on non-Leica systems, is that the cover glass, or filter stack, over many digital sensors is too think to work well with M-mount lenses, especially at the wider end of the focal length range. A good place to check for user experiences is at the Fred Miranda forums, in the Leica & Alternative Gear section. There are serious photographers posting there, who use M-mount lenses, on non-Leica cameras. This includes users who have had their cameras modified, by Kolari and other entities, to function better with M-mount lenses.

Correction: I meant to type that the cover glass, or filter stack, over many digital sensors is too THICK to work well with M-mount lenses, especially at the wider end of the focal length range. (I saw my error, too late to edit.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T25UFO said:

If you like the 50mm f1.2 but are having problems with rangefinder focusing why not keep the Leica glass and buy SL2S body.  For low light it's probably the best camera body out there and focusing the Noctilux is easy with a 

Food for thought.. TY! 

2 hours ago, lucy63 said:

Food for thought.. TY! 

Here's another thought . . . if you really do need auto focus try the SL 50mm f1.4 Summilux.  The rendering of this lens is wonderful and you won't notice much difference from an f1.2.  

Downsides: auto focus not as quick as the Summicrons, but better with latest firmware; also big and heavy, but balances well on the SL and probably not much difference in size to the Canon f1.2.

Lots of options to stay with Leica.  Hope you find what you're looking for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T25UFO said:

Here's another thought . . . if you really do need auto focus try the SL 50mm f1.4 Summilux.  The rendering of this lens is wonderful and you won't notice much difference from an f1.2.  

Downsides: auto focus not as quick as the Summicrons, but better with latest firmware; also big and heavy, but balances well on the SL and probably not much difference in size to the Canon f1.2.

Lots of options to stay with Leica.  Hope you find what you're looking for.

Thank you. I think to justify a larger camera, which I'm not used to, I'd want fast AF as well as excellent image quality. As I'm spoiled by Leica lenses it looks like I'm staying with Leica M at least for a while. The best Canon glass is just too big.