Leica user experience with Canon R

lucy63

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had a Canon R5 over Christmas before realising it wasn't for me and returning. I think i got about 12 clicks in. I don't enjoy it enough for the investment!

The files were really good, but the camera and the files just didn't captivate me in the same way.
Generally using SLRs has never been my thing compared to Rangefinders and it was an unfair test. I am used to Sonnar, Summicron and Summiluxes on M's, whilst I purchased just the 35 1.8 cheaper lens from Canon...which was as centrally sharp as many lenses that cost * of that!

The R5 great mirrorless camera and almost a perfect example of how to create that fast SLR style. AF is very quick in good and low light, the camera fast and the output was high quality. 

-The battery life on the R5 wasn't so good considering i wasn't using the rear screen much (i read that it takes more battery power for the 5MP EVF especially when setting to 120Hz mode). I wasn't keen on using the memory cards CFExpress B, which needed another adaptor.
-You are limited to Canon lenses without using adaptors. I liked the RF 28-70 but it's just huge. 
-There is a new model perhaps around the corner.

-I owned a Sony A9 a few yrs back, of which i thought the AF was a bit stickier than the R5 to the subject (in a good way) but both were equally zippy with the things i shot.

Edited by rich_
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rich_ said:

I had a Canon R5 over Christmas before realising it wasn't for me and returning. I think i got about 12 clicks in. I don't enjoy it enough for the investment!

The files were really good, but the camera and the files just didn't captivate me in the same way.
Generally using SLRs has never been my thing compared to Rangefinders and it was an unfair test. I am used to Sonnar, Summicron and Summiluxes on M's, whilst I purchased just the 35 1.8 cheaper lens from Canon...which was as centrally sharp as many lenses that cost * of that!

The R5 great mirrorless camera and almost a perfect example of how to create that fast SLR style. AF is very quick in good and low light, the camera fast and the output was high quality. 

-The battery life on the R5 wasn't so good considering i wasn't using the rear screen much (i read that it takes more battery power for the 5MP EVF especially when setting to 120Hz mode). I wasn't keen on using the memory cards CFExpress B, which needed another adaptor.
-You are limited to Canon lenses without using adaptors. I liked the RF 28-70 but it's just huge. 
-There is a new model perhaps around the corner.

-I owned a Sony A9 a few yrs back, of which i thought the AF was a bit stickier than the R5 to the subject (in a good way) but both were equally zippy with the things i shot.

A comment I read once, "those Leica people and their velvety lives" haha, not sure we all have those but I think I've been spoiled by M's and the 50 Lux asph, mainly, and can't/don't want to change now.

• 1 month later...

I have ~5000 shots on an R5 so far, and while I thought about selling it after getting my M10-P, it's still a great tool for a number of things. It gets very cold and snowy in my part of the world, and I still love going out with a camera even when it's nasty out. Perfect for the R5. I trust Canon's weather sealing. When I want to take pictures of my kids sporting events and AF with a variable zoom is important, the R5 comes along. And I've been spending some time playing with wildlife where the R5 with a 100-500 is awesome. I'm definitely keeping an eye out for the SL3 - if I could get a weather sealed body with fast AF *and* Leica colours, dynamic range, contrast and build quality.. that would be amazing! 

I would definitely see if you can test out the body + your lens(es) of choice. It's a heavy camera on its own, and once you add L glass it's heavy. Also the ergonomics are worth mentioning - the camera fits great in my hands, but it might not be the same for everyone. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cdnchris said:

I have ~5000 shots on an R5 so far, and while I thought about selling it after getting my M10-P, it's still a great tool for a number of things. It gets very cold and snowy in my part of the world, and I still love going out with a camera even when it's nasty out. Perfect for the R5. I trust Canon's weather sealing. When I want to take pictures of my kids sporting events and AF with a variable zoom is important, the R5 comes along. And I've been spending some time playing with wildlife where the R5 with a 100-500 is awesome. I'm definitely keeping an eye out for the SL3 - if I could get a weather sealed body with fast AF *and* Leica colours, dynamic range, contrast and build quality.. that would be amazing! 

I would definitely see if you can test out the body + your lens(es) of choice. It's a heavy camera on its own, and once you add L glass it's heavy. Also the ergonomics are worth mentioning - the camera fits great in my hands, but it might not be the same for everyone. 

Thanks a lot. I went with an M10R in the end and I'm very happy. I live in Bath, a very busy beautiful city and carry my camera everywhere, it's so light, quiet and unobtrusive for people shots, I'm very pleased but may add a Canon to my bag at some point.