Are original boxes really necessary to keep around?

hellobrandonscott

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have two SL2-S boxes and three SL lens boxes (and a couple Q boxes, flashes, etc) and I'm wondering if it's *really* that necessary to hang on to them. I have no issues buying a used piece of gear without the original packaging, but am I in the minority? It'd be real nice to toss them out. I could see selling both SL2-S's in 4-5 years when/if an SL3 comes out, but probably never the SL lenses. I threw away my M6 box and don't miss it, but that's because I'm never selling that camera. Thoughts? Opinions?

• Like 1

OEM boxes are great to ship out when selling, and some people perceive the fact you kept the box, as someone that really takes good care of its own gear

For the M6 for instance, it's more of collectors thing; with recente gear I have seen actually empty boxes been sold, and I have to confess that for two identical items, I would likely give preference to the one being sold with oem box - I know a bit silly :)

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thankfully, for some things at least, the boxes seem to be getting smaller and easier to store. My M10 Monochrom box is smaller than the one I seem to recall for the M240 (with its multiple drawers), for example. I could also have done without the presentation box inside a cardboard box for the M 50 APO too, that packaging seemed overkill for such a small lens! 

Edited by Jon Warwick

1 hour ago, Jon Warwick said:

I could also have done without the presentation box inside a cardboard box for the M 50 APO too, that packaging seemed overkill for such a small lens! 

Small but expensive. Leica want you to think you got something very special for your money 🙄.

• Like 1

I keep boxes for most hi value 'tech' up the loft/attic then forget/can't be bothered fetching when they go for sale or get scrapped 🙄

Recently cleared out a lot of hifi from the garage and fetching the boxes out of the loft, some after almost 20 years was a selling point particularly as the item specific cut outs make transport safer and as someone has already pointed out is an assumed marker for 'careful owner'

Got rid of a load of orphaned boxes at the same time.

Hi end hifi seems to be a pretty good investment, I buy preowned generally then eventually pass them on when I run out of room.

I've almost settled on my definitive "systems" though🤞

Prize for the most absurd Leica camera box has to be the one that the 'O' Serie Prototype 2 Barnack 125th Anniversary camera and associated book, dvd and other paperwork came in.  Probably the smallest 35mm camera supplied in the biggest box that Leica have ever produced.  Just plain daft.

I think Cosina set a far better example with their minimal packaging for Voigtlander and Zeiss ZM lenses.

7 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Prize for the most absurd Leica camera box has to be the one that the 'O' Serie Prototype 2 Barnack 125th Anniversary camera and associated book, dvd and other paperwork came in.  Probably the smallest 35mm camera supplied in the biggest box that Leica have ever produced.  Just plain daft.

I think Cosina set a far better example with their minimal packaging for Voigtlander and Zeiss ZM lenses.

indeed..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

It is a little over the top, but with that you are not just buying a camera.  It's something special and a collector's item.  They have a special audience, so to speak.  People buy those to keep in their curio cabinets and have conversations during dinner parties over glasses of Dom Perignon while eating Carr's Table Water Crackers covered with Beluga Sturgeon Caviar.  

7 hours ago, nwphil said:

indeed..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And that’s just the inner presentation box!

With the mini cell foam insert that the presentation box is ensconced in inside the inner outer box and the outer outer box, the whole package is an environmental disaster.  

• Haha 1

Am 1.11.2022 um 01:49 schrieb robb:

Keep them linked to your gear.  Most Leica buyers want gear WITH the boxes or they will move on to another seller.
Robb

I always thought this was just a German thing, but it seems to be worldwide. Not just Leica, everything. Try selling it without the box, it's only worth half the usual price. No original invoice, even though the item is 10 years old? That another 25% less for you! Most Germans have a dedicated room for boxes, just in case we might dedide to sell that 15 year old mobile at some point 🤣

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Camaro5 said:

It is a little over the top, but with that you are not just buying a camera.  It's something special and a collector's item.  They have a special audience, so to speak.  People buy those to keep in their curio cabinets and have conversations during dinner parties over glasses of Dom Perignon while eating Carr's Table Water Crackers covered with Beluga Sturgeon Caviar.  

1. I’m a photographer, not a camera collector.  I use my ‘O’ Serie to make photographs.

2. I don’t keep cameras on display in cabinets.

3. I would not invite anyone to dinner whose idea of conversation is about cameras.  Life’s too short.

4.  I wouldn’t dream of spoiling a perfectly good Carr’s cracker by covering it with caviar.

4.  What’s Dom Perignon?

• Haha 1

I always keep all of original boxes that came with the camera or lens...
When I sell my Leica camera or lens I keep the box...
Then I put the box into special cabinet with controlled temperature and 
moisture so that they can last me for my life time...
I think that I have around 11 in the mean time... :D 

Nikola

I keep boxes which came with cameras and lenses for reasons already mentioned earlier. In recent times, TTArtisan does a great job providing rigid and padded plastic boxes with printed lens schematics together with their lenses. 

My most valuable box is probably the original white with red padded interior of the original Leica M6 which I bought used in 2016. Now with all the M6 hype the box is probably worth a lot more. 

On 10/31/2022 at 6:03 PM, hellobrandonscott said:

I have no issues buying a used piece of gear without the original packaging, but am I in the minority? 

Apparently so, as a reputable dealer like Leica Miami will meticulously check every last box (inner and outer), paperwork, accessory, etc, that came as original in order to assess trade-in value.  Buyers pay more for complete packaging, and of course best condition.  

In the book world, a first edition with the original dust jacket can be worth double the price of one without.  People can be particular about  packaging.

But as 01af states, this is irrelevant if one doesn’t intend to sell gear (or doesn’t care about potentially getting a somewhat higher price). 

Jeff

Since space allows, I have kept all the original boxes for various pieces of equipment. I am now planning to dispose of my film M’s and even my M9. What I find neat is that I have the original invoices for all that stuff. My 1968 invoice for a new M4 and 50 Summicron shows that I paid just under $400 Canadian for those, so it kind of puts a value for those today 😂

• Like 1

I am a box keeper. I had a prospective buyer walk away as the serial # on the lens did not match the serial # on the box (I had mixed it up with an earlier sale). I do would do the same or expect a 15% discount. If someone is in a never sell category, that is a different thing. 

Speaking of boxes, those who have the Leica SL 601 will remember the superb packaging as compared to what SL2 and other variants come with.

I like Hasselblad's packaging - very sturdy boxes, great padding inside for protection and lovely real leather lens cases. The latter I never use, but still like to have when paying eye-watering amounts.