Summicron-m 75 f2

martha

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"One of the best Leica Lenses I have handled. The focusing is ultra smooth. The throw is short. And the results have been superb."

It does generate good reports.

Does anybody use it on wedding assignments ? Would you recomend it for that application.

I know one photographer who uses it for the ceremony, but switches to a 90mm Elmar C (?) once outside in the open light. Recall he says the extra length allows him to stand off a little further, the light weight makes it less tiring and the new Elmar has an extremely short throw. At f4, he says and I believe him, the quality is excellent.

Anybody have useful experience in this, as I only want to buy one additional lens at the moment.

:confused:

Have used the 1,4/75 on wedding etc. and this is one of my favourit lenses. If you do not need the extra stop 1,4 then go for the 2/75 ASPH, because all ASPH lenses are even more superb. I tried a 2/28 ASPH the other day and it was superb. Of course not that you can compare 28 with 75mm, but the characteristics of fine details, colour etc. are very similar.

This lens would be my definite go if I would not already own the 1,4/75 !

Peter

My experience with 75mm is great, I never had any problems. It is more the question if you will go for a digital M, because then 1.4/50mm will become roughly 1.4/70mm

Seems to indicate that the re-sale value of Leica 75mm and wider lenses may increase with 90mm and 135mm Leica glass trending lower over time, eh?

Guest hagen
Thanks William.

No intention of selling anything. It was a suggestion from Wolfgang in a moment of weakness.

I was hoping for an in-depth recommendation as to the benefits of an M7/MP kit versus the MP/M3 kit I own now for wedding application. However, it is toooo hot in Germany and Wolfgang rests ;) .

I've no experience of the M7 at all. Not even handled one.

All of this of course is against the pending release of the M8 and its affect on lens and body ownership choice. Probably do nothing till more is known, but there is a good chance my impatience will result in the acquisition of n Elmar-M and possibly an M7 before much longer.

Digital is but a scan away.

Rest is over :-))

Ok, the M7 / MP Kit is a good solution anyway. The biggest advantage of the M7 is that you don't care about the exposure meter as the accuracy is somewhere arround 95% or even higher which means that you can point and shoot and therefore you are fast.

I know that we now directly get a discussion with the hardcore users of a M6 / MP etc. who argue that they are as fast as the M7 as well. Forget it!

Another advantage of the M7 and btw the M6TTL as well is that you can use a flash light in TTL mode. I know that nobody uses a flashlight on a M Body but if one likes it works properly ;)

Regarding the lenses it depends on your kind of pictures but once infected with the M virus you'll buy the complete range of lenses anyway (earlier or later).

I personally started with a M6TTL and 35 / 50 / 90 which is a perfect kit for each and everything. BTW, an 90mm Elmarit you'll get second hand in mint condition for approx. 650€. The money you'll save could be the basis for an M7 or a M8.

Regards from Bonn at 36 °C.

Querying any users of this newish lens about features: pros and cons. Any comments either negative or positive are welcome. I am thinking I need to save up and buy one, but obviously don't want to invest if the user reports are bad. thanks for any and all input on this lens.

Martha,

I have the 75 Summicron, and it is a fine lens in evey respect.It is also well balanced on the camera. And has a twist lock pull out shade ... a plus.One thing annoying; (for me anyway), is the viewfinder picture corners within the 50mm finder. When I am shooting fast, composing with any accuracy is lost. The dominance of the 50 finder showing when the 75 is mounted, has caused me to forget the 75 when it came to framing, and used the 50.

It would be nice if Leica offered a 75 alone finder outlines?

I have not used the lens much. Maybe in time one gets used to having to remember .... I don't know.

Good Luck!

Rafael,

Know what you mean and I agree it's confusing. No way to cure it unless you remove the 50mm frame from a body which probably needs it. Not a problem to remember so far, so I'm probably slower than you, or my Halfsheimers is not as bad as yours, (yet!). :)

• 4 years later...

I bought an APO Summicron-M 75 Asph on 3Bay to use with my M9, and was delighted it met the description.

The lens is uncoded, so I'm sending it off to Solms, and I'm wondering if it has a focussing issue, particularly at short focal lengths. Last week, I walked out onto the sand bar below our house, and took some pictures of my wife kitesurfing. It was sunny, and I was shooting wide open, which gave me some problems as things were fast moving. The discard rate was understandably high, but when I stopped down, things improved (not surprisingly).

I'm still trying to work out how to load images, but attached is a crop of one of the shots which was focussed accurately (no post processing - this is straight from the camera).

M9, ISO160 f/6.7 (according to LR3) @ 1/2000 sec

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I then decided to do a little test. I taped some duct tape on the garage wall, at 1 metre intervals. I set up my M9 on a tripod, and focussed the Cron 75 on the front edge of each piece of duct tape, and the exposed one shot at each exposure from f/2 to f/16.

What I found was surprising - at 1 meter (and also at 700 mm), the lens was not sharp at all wide open. If I had a focussing issue, I would expect some part of the picture to be sharp. It wasn't.

Again, with no post processing (yes, I realise I did not adjust for white balance - it was on Auto), the following shots were at ISO 160, starting at f/2, and going through whole stops to f/5.6 (the changes in exposure are interesting, as I simply changed the aperture and exposed).

To my mind, the picture only gets sharp at f/5.6. The last picture is at 2 metres, at f/2, which I find more like what I expected at closer ranges.

I agree that the 75 APO S'cron is an excellent lens.

One aspect of its bokeh that I've only recently noticed - when focussing at f2 on near subjects, any 'round-ish' objects in the distant background, like birds or flower-heads, become like cotton ball blobs rather than nicely blurred objects. I'd post some examples but am having software difficulties re-sizing for the forum.

Has anyone noticed this ? Is it normal or not ? Pleasant or unpleasant?

Best to post pic on a host site and link to it. Photobucket, & flickr are free and there are others.

For direct posting, there is a MB limit. Downsize the photoshop version and check the size. Then go back to the ORIGINAL and keep trying to get it down. 400x600 and 100 ppi is a start. Modern screens are close to 100 ppi.

If you did the capture sharpening, sharpen the final at .4 radius (point 4), then be pretty agressive with the amount. I get decent web posting that way. Print sharpening is different, but the capture sharpening is the same.

I am using Nik Define 2 for noise reduction. Works very well and I can control it with a layer mask in photoshop. 30% off sale going for 7 days now, Cost you $70.

Couldn't resist since I agree ,the 75mm Summicron ASPH is the best 75-90mm I have ever used. Here is a shot I took over Thanksgiving taken from my theater seat watching the movie "Tangle" Leica M9- ISO 640 at .30 sec at f2.

Hank

I have found that I love this lens (and my wife, the woman in the picture!).

ISO 160 f/4.0 @ 1/180s

It is a splendid lens in my experience. Akin to the Summilux 50 ASPH, compact, very accurate focus. My idea of perfect portrait lens but also excellent for closer shots thanks to the short minimum focus distance and floating elemnet design. I would never part with mine.

Careful pour photo - Geoff Hopkinson photos at pbase.com

Fruit Loops photo - Geoff Hopkinson photos at pbase.com

Adrienne confronts Lisette photo - Geoff Hopkinson photos at pbase.com

Spiral Ginger photo - Geoff Hopkinson photos at pbase.com

Here I am, one nay-sayer in a crowd of fans:

I sold my 75 Cron because IMO it looked too 'clinical' in comparison with the Lux. A Kaarbe lens in every respect. And it seemed to produce what Ben calls 'radial' bokeh: too much of a round outline around OOF stuff, instead of dissolving smoothly/evenly.

It did have the advantage of being easier to handle. I had trouble focusing the Lux wide open & thought I might as well skip the larger aperture, but I just didn't like the Cron's 'drawing' as well.

Kirk

PS, I too find the bracket-shaped framelines annoyingly hard to see, so I got an inexpensive CV external finder. Up close &/or in low light, I have to re-focus every shot, so I stay with the camera's viewfinder. But the external finder works well if I'm not at widest apertures, have some DOF, & don't need to re-focus before each release of the shutter. I also use a 1.35 Japan Exposures magnifier, which helps for critical focusing.

Edited by thompsonkirk
ps

Kirk that is not naysaying. That is a perfectly valid view and a considered choice since you have shot both 75s and know first hand what they will do and what you prefer. Mine is my very favourite lens from Leica of all.

My personal preference is for the better corrected modern designs and I agree with you too on the handling. One man's 'creamy bokeh' and transitions is another's under-corrected softness and vice versa 'clinical' rendering and harsher transitions etc of course :D

Out of interest I recently had an informal play with the new CV f/1.8 75 and my initial impression is that it is quite like the older spherical designs in 'look'. A neat little lens at a bargain price too.

I only post Leica stuff here but I can tell you that it is instantly identifiable vs. the APO Summicron ASPH.

Edited by hoppyman

Here I am, one nay-sayer in a crowd of fans:

I sold my 75 Cron because IMO it looked too 'clinical' in comparison with the Lux. A Kaarbe lens in every respect. And it seemed to produce what Ben calls 'radial' bokeh: too much of a round outline around OOF stuff, instead of dissolving smoothly/evenly.

Kirk,

Is this the effect you are referring to, it is maybe the same thing I mentioned as being the 'cotton balls'.