One Challenge 2023 - Saturday 14th October

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At the dinner last night, as is the custom, the location for the next One Challenge was chosen. 

It was a close run thing, but I am delighted to advise that next year, we will be meeting in Dubrovnik, Croatia

The meeting will be on Saturday 14th October 2023.

Obviously, more details will be forthcoming at some point!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I think that maybe the two might merge, but if October doesn’t suit Olaf’s idea, then there can be two trips planned. 

The venue for each coming year’s One Challenge is always decided at the previous year’s dinner. This year, the group chose Dubrovnik.

Any member is more than welcome to organise any meeting anywhere in the world at any time. Just because the One Challenge chooses a location, doesn’t preclude another event at the same place.

The One Challenge has a specific purpose and set of rules of course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dear all, I am willing to support the one challenge with organizing, however, to me, Dubrovnik, though wonderful, limits itself to a weekendbreak, photographing an ancient city. Even real street photography will be hard to do, but ok, the elders have decided. So it will be. Being a proud local, I will support 😇.

Meanwhile, I noticed the interest of some people willing to discover nature. Croatia has plenty of it, most known Plitvice or Krka. This would be great from april/may. Of there is any interest, let us go. If it is a small group, we could drive around by car. I am willing to support here as well.

In other words, both autumn and spring I would like to go out one week(end) photographing with you. Anywhere. Just be aware that after and during the day I will enjoy food and drinks as well, so if you are on a diet, better rethink 😎

• Thanks 3

Dubrovnik airport has a limited schedule of flights. To Switzerland it seems for only a few summer months. 

Split airport is better served. There are 3 options from Split to Dub. Ferry (leaves 0740 this year), Bus (very frequent and takes 4 hours costs about €14) or taxi (about €220-300). From Split airport to Bus station it seems taxi is the best way (€30) as i couldnt find a bus doing it. Is there one? 

Next time i will look into travel before voting 😅

Europcar offers car rental for 3 days for about €150 and paid car parking in Dub. Is about €27 per day but some hotels offer car parking. 

Closer to the time we can coordinate the journey and 1-2 people can join me in the car

Edited by Sandokan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think that going via Split is an option for us. That would be like RyanAir on steroids. I won’t be able to sell a three hour flight followed by a three hour car journey or god knows how long on a ferry, that’s for sure. But if you don’t mind a ferry, Bari might be an option too  

Uk - Dubrovnik also requires a lot of flexibility regarding airports and flying dates too as it isn’t a destination that is served every day of the week, even from London. It might be cheaper to spend an extra night or two than travel there by car or taxi from 250km away.

Will do some more investigating when I get home. 

I have found a fabulous apartment in the city, and it’s obviously a great destination, but I need to wait until November to find out the flight situation. If it’s not accessible via BA, we might have to pass on this one. 

16 minutes ago, andybarton said:

god knows how long on a ferry

4 1/2 hours via catamaran ferry. 

Good luck coordinating that with your flight home. I think waiting 30 minutes for a train back to the airport later today will be bad enough 😊

All Split/Dubrovnik options are here

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Split/Dubrovnik

5 hours ago, andybarton said:

Uk - Dubrovnik also requires a lot of flexibility regarding airports and flying dates too as it isn’t a destination that is served every day of the week, even from London. It might be cheaper to spend an extra night or two than travel there by car or taxi from 250km away.

I was looking to spend the week there, if I was going, Wednesday to Wednesday and straddle the weekend. 

Edit: I might be lucky, seems there are direct flights from Edinburgh. Unfortunately it’s by Sleeazy Jet, but it’s ONLY 3hours. 

@andybarton thanks for the website Rome2Rio, I didn’t know that existed. 

Edited by OThomas

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2022 at 4:31 AM, andybarton said:

Wednesday to Monday from Gatwick via BA might be an option if the timetable in October is the same as in March (according to SkyScanner).

BA have confirmed their timetable for the first half of October 23 now and they are flying to Dubrovnik every day from Gatwick. Which is excellent news, provided no one glues themselves to the QE2 Bridge or something similar.😊

I will book our flights tomorrow when the Monday schedule lands (they release flights 355 days in advance). I like to plan ahead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Could not make it to Athens because I started a new job in october. Dubrovnik old town was just a coffee break stop on a roadtrip Sarajevo - Mostar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Montenegro inland - Sarajevo a couple of years ago, so spending more than 3 hours in Dubrovnik sounds nice. Montenegro coastline is higly recommended if you want to extend the trip.

Flying connection to Split is okay (direct connections to Dubrovnik end in september). Chatted with Ravi about sharing a car if we can align our travel plans. If it is feasible, I would add two or three days at the coast so I needed a car anyway.  Let's see if this works. 

• Like 2