New Voigtlander 35mm f1.5 Type I and II announced

Ba Erv

Having had both Nokton f1.5’s and Ultrons I have to say I prefer Ultrons. 

I just wonder why they don’t make a 50mm Ultron type II in brass 🤷🏻‍♂️

I like the Noktons now look like Ultrons. Maybe that will make a difference. But I doubt they will kill their own lenses. 

The 0.5m mfd is weird and hard to get used to though. They probably just want to make them more useful for mirrorless people. But to shoot on the M, I would rather have a hard stop at 0.7m. 

Edited by Chimichurri
  • Like 1

Being a double asph it'd be interesting how it compares even to Leicas  Cron/lux lineup. I'm expecting differing characteristics between wide open and stopped down for this lens similar to previous. Double asph is now 'vintage' lol

But given the reissue of the 35mm lux v1 it seems there a resurgence of character lenses at least wide open. In any case I'll be watching this one with anticipation.

The simple tab and the aperture ring is a welcome addition imo.

Q. Will a decoupled lens at close focus damage the rangefinder focus mechanism over time?

Edited by cboy

5 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

The latest from Voigtlander says : matt black paint on aluminium ; silver plating and black paint on brass.

( as reported here ) https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1778058/5#lastmessage

https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander/en/vm-mount/nokton-vintage-line-35mm-f1-5-aspherical/

Can’t wait.

Edited by Al Brown

Does vintage line mean a vintage look and feel or a vintage optical design? I don't like vintage optical designs because I don't want to work around things I consider flaws. This lens seems to contain aspherical elements which sounds like a modern optical design but I have no knowledge of lens design..... 

It will be released on 24 November 2022.

https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander/vm-mount/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

On 11/5/2022 at 7:01 AM, tom.w.bn said:

Does vintage line mean a vintage look and feel or a vintage optical design? I don't like vintage optical designs because I don't want to work around things I consider flaws. This lens seems to contain aspherical elements which sounds like a modern optical design but I have no knowledge of lens design..... 

I am hoping it's not too vintage looking too. I like high contrast high resolution modern lenses. Hoping this can be a compact alternative to the Zeiss 35mm/1.4 ZM or the Voigtländer 35mm/2 Apo. Both of those are fine lenses but very long compared with most 35mm RF lenses.

54 minutes ago, sdk said:

I am hoping it's not too vintage looking too. I like high contrast high resolution modern lenses. Hoping this can be a compact alternative to the Zeiss 35mm/1.4 ZM or the Voigtländer 35mm/2 Apo. Both of those are fine lenses but very long compared with most 35mm RF lenses.

The "Vintage" is only in the name for the external appearance of the lens. Inside, it has a modern optical design and will probably perform similarly to the CV 35/1.2 and 40/1.2 Nokton versions since their optical design is very similar.

• Like 3

On 11/13/2022 at 11:52 AM, Fred Miranda said:

The "Vintage" is only in the name for the external appearance of the lens. Inside, it has a modern optical design and will probably perform similarly to the CV 35/1.2 and 40/1.2 Nokton versions since their optical design is very similar.

I guess "vintage" is in the eye of the beholder then, if it's product appearance-based, rather than optics-based. Seems like a little nuance of the word is mutated in translation to Japanese and back to English, though perhaps I am being too literal. 

This lens looks very interesting as an everyday carry around lens, if the chromatic aberration control is good. But my ZM 35mm/1.4 will probably still be my choice for the highest quality landscape photos or night photography.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 2:27 PM, mheine said:

Super excited, maybe this will become my only 35mm for the M system. I have the amazing Distagon ZM 35mm f1.4 and the lovely Voigtländer Nokton 35mm f1.4 - maybe this lens can replace both of them. Fingers are crossed!

I have the Distagon as well; sharp but larger than I’d like and colors are cold.  This might might be a nice choice if it’s anything like the new Ultron 28, which I love or the APO Lanthars, which are amazing. Will await some reviews. 

• Like 2

On 10/15/2022 at 7:17 PM, Al Brown said:

Very good question. It is a double aspherical 9 elements in 6 groups design, here is a diagram from Cosina website. Let’s find a Leica equivalent - if there is one.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It is a smalle version of Nokton 35mm f1.2 - I checked the optical design and it is the same.

• Like 3