Fraudulent Ebay sales by arri888

Wilson Totten

2 hours ago, M9reno said:

What was the sentencing outcome?

Truro Crown Court2T20220204
Peter John Walnes

Details:For Sentence - Case Started - 16:15
For Sentence - Hearing finished for PETER JOHN WALNES - 16:24

Hearing Finished The hearing of the case for the specified defendant(s) has concluded for today. It is not an indication that the case has finished just that today's hearing has finished.

Al, No other details traced ... 9 minutes only so maybe adjourned?

PW is aged 76 years 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2023 at 12:26 AM, M9reno said:

Thanks, Dunk.  9 minutes only: but it's possible that's all it takes for the Truro judge to pronounce the sentence. A follow-up date would probably haven been given for a sentencing adjournment.

Whatever sentence he got it hasn't stopped him sending out emails asking for equipment, I got one yesterday!

• Like 2

On 4/30/2023 at 9:39 AM, 250swb said:

Whatever sentence he got it hasn't stopped him sending out emails asking for equipment, I got one yesterday!

I find the whole saga pretty astonishing as Peter Walnes has been around for decades and I thought had a solid reputation. It just goes to show what can happen when someone gets into financial trouble and just digs themselves in deeper and deeper (which I assume must be what happened here). Presumably he had ended up running a Ponzi type scheme whereby he was trying to use the money from recent sales to pay off, in piecemeal chunks, creditors going back months and years. I was on eBay this week looking at Hasselblad lenses and noticed he is still selling on that platform. It seems outrageous that a convicted criminal is still peddling his wares (and presumably taking in stock from unaware sellers) but I imagine he doesn't know any other way of making an income.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

He is definitely still trading. I just bought this Nikon Zoom finder from his e Bay listing. Can’t complain, very good price and very quickly posted. Hope he uses the money to pay off his debts, not that this will make much of a dent in it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

Hope he uses the money to pay off his debts, not that this will make much of a dent in it.

Or uses it to pay the person he got it from? I don't know, maybe he has sworn to the Court that he'll mend his ways, but I got identical emails asking for stock shortly before he was convicted and again after he was convicted, the last one was on 15/05/23. So nothing has changed from a sellers point of view except most won't know the background and have the ability to be wary. 

8 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

Hope he uses the money to pay off his debts

He is bankrupt.  He has walked away from his debts.

ETA: Unless you've missed this thread until now, I'm curious to know why you would risk dealing with him.

Edited by Ouroboros

"Loopholes" comes to mind. 😟

And it's far from clear if there is still another court hearing 

Something is very wrong when a convicted fraudster can allegedly continue trading on eBay 

And the sentence in his letter stating " ... hope you will check out website and mark it as one of your favourites." ... will be very offensive to those who've lost out with their previous deals. 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

8 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

He is bankrupt.  He has walked away from his debts.

ETA: Unless you've missed this thread until now, I'm curious to know why you would risk dealing with him.

I saw the Nikon finder first then who was selling it. I would only buy from him through E Bay where there is buyer protection and then only for small amounts. E Bay really should remove him as a seller.

Edited by Pyrogallol

2 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

E Bay really should remove him as a seller.

With due respect, if people such as yourself continue to deal with him, his position as a seller is reinforced and Ebay, whose business is commission-based, are unlikely to remove him.  

6 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

With due respect, if people such as yourself continue to deal with him, his position as a seller is reinforced and Ebay, whose business is commission-based, are unlikely to remove him.  

I knew there was a reason why I felt like giving up making comments on the forum.

• Haha 1

The ebay feedback system is fundamentally broken. There used to be some damning negative feedback on this account but it is now neither visible nor reflected in the '100%' feedback score. After 12 months, I think old feedback does not count towards the score and can't easily be accessed, so the account will launder itself, and there are also ways for a seller to request bad feedback is removed in some circumstances. A while ago, I think someone bought a very cheap item just so they could leave a general warning about the account via feedback, which is I suppose technically an abuse of the system but useful while it lasted.

I bought a lens from Fieldgrass & Gale back in the 2000s, when the same person was a director of the company and seemed to be handling the mail order business. While that was a perfectly pleasant transaction, the company for whatever reason became insolvent not long afterwards and he set up under his own name, with reputation apparently untarnished.

I also bought a lens from him and it was only after the 'Pay' button was pressed that I thought I'd seen the eBay ID before and got worried. However the lens arrived in perfect condition the next day. But that I think is part of his modus operandi and what keeps him on eBay, he sends stuff out that people order, but he doesn't necessarily pay for all the stock he takes in, hence his eBay rating is quite good.

Edited by 250swb

14 hours ago, 250swb said:

I also bought a lens from him and it was only after the 'Pay' button was pressed that I thought I'd seen the eBay ID before and got worried. However the lens arrived in perfect condition the next day. But that I think is part of his modus operandi and what keeps him on eBay, he sends stuff out that people order, but he doesn't necessarily pay for all the stock he takes in, hence his eBay rating is quite good.

His Ebay rating is probably all Ebay are interested in, I doubt whether they would remove him based on his criminal record or his fraudulent trading methods outside of Ebay. 

The real problem is when people continue to buy from him.  His alleged fraudulent ways are being perpetuated either unwittingly by buyers who don't know how he might operate or, even worse, perpetuated by buyers who are perfectly aware that his methods are questionable.

Edited by Ouroboros