Fraudulent Ebay sales by arri888

Wilson Totten

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have encountered what appears to be systematic fraud on eBay by a UK seller "arri888". He has recently sold my silver M9 serial number 3838988, a Summarit M  75/2.5 serial number 4053290 and a complete Canon 5DS outfit, supposedly on commission basis.  Now he is not paying up.  It seems there is a considerable history here. Does anyone have similar experience ?

Very sorry to read about your situation. I guess I would not have sent the seller my equipment without doing research on him/her. In fact I am certain that I would never have entrusted this amount of expensive gear to a complete and anonymous person. I hope Ebay will help you out or the seller will send you the money after all.

Edited by stephan54

Thanks for the reply.  I accept your comment about doing research. Sadly I have been dealing with Peter Walnes for many years as a buyer, without any issues, right back from his days in Fieldgrass and Gale.  In that regard he was not anonymous, and in fact has historically been very well regarded.  If you look online you will see this change in behaviour is over the last 1-2 years.  Yes, you can't assume someone who has been well respected in the past will always be so.  That's the point of posting on the Forum - to help others avoid making the same assumptions / mistakes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wilson Totten said:

That's the point of posting on the Forum - to help others avoid making the same assumptions / mistakes.

Shame you weren't here earlier or would have been aware.

If you had a commission sale agreement, you ought to seek advice on the legal title to the items.

He is active again after a quiet period. I've been getting emails again asking for equipment as if he never went away, but like Camera Obscura

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/332251-camera-obscura-repairs-uk-problem-😔

he's a con man preying on high end equipment who keeps reinventing himself to dodge the consequences. I think dealing with him as a buyer isn't as risky (but I wouldn't do it), after all he's selling stuff and money is going into his pocket, but how he gets his stock could mean he's selling stolen goods.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, 250swb said:

He is active again after a quiet period. I've been getting emails again asking for equipment as if he never went away, but like Camera Obscura

When the economy takes a dive crime/fraud will be on the increase. I'm looking at a case at work that reeks of company impersonation fraud - we don't have enough info to be certain at this point but I'd put a large bet on it being the case.

There's a lot of professional debtors out there, people who know exactly how to play the system and manage to keep themselves if not on just the right side of the law, at least not enough over the line to make it easy to go after them.

Even if one does 'win' a legal case, getting the money back is another matter entirely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

I think dealing with him as a buyer isn't as risky (but I wouldn't do it), after all he's selling stuff and money is going into his pocket, but how he gets his stock could mean he's selling stolen goods.

I noticed one lens on the website of a different, very reliable dealer who is absolutely scrupulous about describing all the issues and defects of everything he offers. It had some problem or other, not a huge issue but something a buyer should be aware of. After it was sold (I hope he was paid!), it reappeared very shortly afterwards on the ebay store in this thread at an inflated price, with no mention of the issue (I was able to check it was the same lens, because the first dealer keeps photos up for a while with the status changed to 'sold'). Perhaps the problem had been remedied before the lens was flipped on ebay, but I wouldn't bet a roll of expired Poundland film on that possibility.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input.  I fully intend to pursue this through the Courts, Police, and Cornwall Trading Standards who I understand an open dossier on him. There are three issues - firstly I would like my money back, secondly folks buying from him should be aware they may be purchasing goods which may effectively be stolen (obtained by fraud), and third this practice needs to be stopped. Since bankruptcy and publicity on camera forums (see also on DPR , Talk Photography and others) and letters to Amateur Photographer are not sufficient, further routes for publicity need to be found.  With hindsight of course it would have been better to join this Forum and fully research in advance, rather than relying on what I thought I knew over many years to be true.  But we are where we are.  I guess you are never too old to learn.

One of the items in question, a Summarit M 75 serial no 4053290 has already appeared on eBay for re-sale. I have flagged to the unfortunate seller its still my property, and reported it to eBay

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wilson Totten said:

One of the items in question, a Summarit M 75 serial no 4053290 has already appeared on eBay for re-sale. I have flagged to the unfortunate seller its still my property, and reported it to eBay

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Any response from either? The sale is still live.

The current seller is in discussion with Peter Walnes. I have offered to both to take the lens back, and pointed out that re-sale is complicated as technically I still own the lens, as I have not been paid by Peter. Bit of a mess really. I have flagged my opinion that it should not be re-sold at the moment, until this is resolved. Not least as the serial number is logged as part of an ongoing (wider) fraud investigation.  Although I have flagged it to eBay, its not my call to de-list.

17 minutes ago, Wilson Totten said:

The current seller is in discussion with Peter Walnes. I have offered to both to take the lens back, and pointed out that re-sale is complicated as technically I still own the lens, as I have not been paid by Peter. Bit of a mess really. I have flagged my opinion that it should not be re-sold at the moment, until this is resolved. Not least as the serial number is logged as part of an ongoing (wider) fraud investigation.  Although I have flagged it to eBay, its not my call to de-list.

If I were the seller I would de-list immediately until the matter was resolved (because what would I do if someone bought it now?). But of course this is outside your control.

I noticed that most of the bad feedback I remember seeing on the arri888 account is no longer visible - either it has been removed, or it is simply more than 12 months old. It looks like there's no obvious way of viewing older bad feedback short of clicking through all the pages, and I don't think it's included in the percentage score either. Perhaps there's a third party tool for this? Without access to these reviews, a buyer who doesn't know the history would naturally think they are dealing with a trusted seller...

I agree with you.  I also shoulder responsibility for not double-checking on Peter's feedback online in more recent times, and assuming he was still operating as I remembered.  Looking through my old (paper) receipts over the years, there are many nice handwritten good wishes from him.  It may be that there are other issues afoot, so the objective as far as I am concerned is to inform / warn in parallel with getting the debt paid.  Not my place to have an opinion on what is going on at a personal level.  From a business perspective, it looks awful.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Wilson Totten said:

I can report that Peter has now cleared the debt.  Hopefully this will signal his return to more tranquil times, as I have experienced in the past.

'The' debt, this is only the Leica forum and not everybody resorts to a camera forum anyway when confronted with potential fraud. I had another email circular from him the other day asking for a long list of equipment and a link to his sales site. I must say I was tempted, he had a nice cheap Nikon F for sale and I could have protected my purchase by using a credit card if it didn't arrive, but the common denominator still seems to be sellers or consignees being ripped off.

• Like 1

Fair point.  Perhaps I should have said "this" debt has been cleared.  There may be others unknown.

All of my prior experience has been as a purchaser, where he has been reliable and often sells interesting / good / hard to find stuff at fair prices.  Now having sight of the margins and economics of the consignment / commission aspect, it clearly needs some work.  

If one is trading on a 20% gross margin, and offer interested eBay watchers an 18% discount, you don't need to be the next Chancellor to understand it is not sustainable as a business model.  

I also owe a debt of thanks to Leica Forum members for the support and in some cases extremely practical advice.

• Like 3

• stuny changed the title to Fraudulent eBhttps://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/338919-fraudulent-ebay-sales-by-arri888/ay sales by arri888
  • andybarton changed the title to Fraudulent Ebay sales by arri888