I Loved my Leica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, Capuccino-Muffin said:

Beautiful. You sold that kit? Geez

Well, yes.  My eyes got so that I couldn't see the focusing patch well enough to critically focus.  I shoot wide-open a lot, and the ability to critically focus at f/2 or larger is the very crux of using a large aperture lens.  So, sadly all of my M cameras and lenses went.  I'm now shooting R bodies and glass.

• Like 6

It wasn't that I didn't like it, I had used it for 43 years, and needed some quick cash, and was using SLR/DSLR bodies mostly. IMHO it was a terrific camera. Ultimately bought an M2 to replace it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

Sold my M3 DS in green.  Don't regret it one bit as I really did not like the DS action, and didn't want to convert it as I already had a better condition M3 SS with blue leather.

Also sold 2 Leica R-Es - excellent cameras (bought two as I had one, found a crazy deal on the other and knew I could eventually flip it).  Don't regret it as I have an R7 and an R9.

Need to sell one of those - most prob the R7 - as I hardly use SLRs anyway.

• Like 5

Oh yeah, also sold my Leica AF-C1.  This is the Minolta Zoom something or other with a Leica badge.  Very nice camera, but you can get the Minolta for $20.. I bought the Leica for $120, sold it for $400.  Don't miss it.

I sold my mint m7 long time ago. I still miss it. I don't miss the cron v4 though 😄

• Like 2

Sold this M3 kit couple years back. It was my first Leica so it had sentimental value I suppose, but as my glasses got thicker, I appreciated the viewfinder less and ultimately it had to go.

Funny thing is originally I had no intention of selling it. However it ultimately went to someone that will love it properly so no regrets. 

• Like 3

I sold the 35-70mm Vario-Elmarit-R f/2.8 for $10,000 because I decided it was too big to use on a Leica M240 camera. Also, I thought better get rid of it before the market looses interest. I was absolutely right about the size, but that doesn't make me regret less that it isn't in the closet when I now and then feel it would be nice to be together again. I was wong about the market loosing interest in it, they sell for 10-15K now 9 years later.

Only 200 made, every one of them made with a loss for Leica. 8 aperture blades, amazing clarity and stillness of the image. Just a really beautiful lens and masterpiece. 

The 35-70 on the M240 (left) and the R9 DMR (right).

The crown prince of Denmark:

My daughter Robin Isabella:

• Like 18

I had a Leica M6 for 16 years. In 2014 I gave it (along with a 35mm Summaron 2.8) to my girlfriend. I also had two lenses, which I sold in 2012. 

The two lenses were:

35mm Summicron v1 eight element. Bought in 1998 for £400. Sold in 2012 for £1650

50mm Noctilux v1 E58. Bought in 2006 for £900. Sold in 2012 for £3000

Since then, those two lenses have gone on to acquire near mythical status. The prices I got for them I thought were ridiculously high, but they have continued to rocket into the stratosphere. I don't especially miss either lens for its performance. The out of focus backgrounds on the eight element could be a bit 'busy', and it flared quite easily. The vignetting on the Noctilux at F1 was pretty bad at full aperture. So dark in the corners sometimes it was like the picture had been shot through a porthole. It's really only F1 in the middle. But I loved the painterly rendering. And it was a beautiful object, although it felt like a small cannonball mounted to the camera.

But Jeez, the way those two lenses are appreciating. I should have stuck them in a bank vault!

I still have a couple of iPhone snaps of the trusty M6, with each of those lenses mounted.

Edited by colint544
  • Like 6

I sold my 50mm Summilux ASPH BC because I needed the money, but I miss it now. I especially miss the feeling of the scalloped focus ring. 

• Like 11

On 8/19/2022 at 11:45 AM, hepcat said:

Well, yes.  My eyes got so that I couldn't see the focusing patch well enough to critically focus.  I shoot wide-open a lot, and the ability to critically focus at f/2 or larger is the very crux of using a large aperture lens.  So, sadly all of my M cameras and lenses went.  I'm now shooting R bodies and glass.

Aren't R bodies manual focus?