Leica APO 50 f/2 - fragile lens shade pin broke again

eleven24

On 6/8/2022 at 6:39 PM, Jeff S said:

I currently enjoy using the 50 Summilux ASPH on my M10 Monochrom, as well as on my M9 Monochrom and M10-R. As I did on previous digital and film Ms.  Never felt a resolution deficit in my modestly sized prints. Different strokes…

Jeff

I felt that it was important to not only “Like” what you said, but to quote, for emphasis.

As I see it, a Summilux-M ASPH has enough of the “APO sauce,” to suit me. Words written/spoken by such diverse folks as Roger Cicala and Peter Karbe have validated my choice of the ‘Lux. Neither the size nor the weight of the ‘Lux have been a problem. Viewfinder blockage, which is not much of a bother, could be mitigated, just a bit, by opting for the Black Chrome E43 edition of the ‘Lux.

35 minutes ago, RexGig0 said:

Black Chrome E43 edition of the ‘Lux.

Not with the hood on.  I am pleased to see you have validation for your choice - now be happy and go take some pics, and of course post them on the Forum.

6 hours ago, pedaes said:

Not with the hood on.  I am pleased to see you have validation for your choice - now be happy and go take some pics, and of course post them on the Forum.

A hood is less necessary, for protection, when shooting monochrome, with a colored filter. 😉

6 hours ago, RexGig0 said:

A hood is less

A hood's main function is to shade the lens, and becomes even more important with a filter attached to the very front of the lens,  unless you like your images degraded.

• Like 1

It is true that separate hoods can be cumbersome and that built-in ones are more or less vestigial nowadays but they protect the front element and a filter sans hood means no protection vs flare at all. It is not a problem for the Real Leica Man who never shoot into the light though obviously :D.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/7/2022 at 11:22 PM, gotium said:

(...)

Additionally, the last repair I DID have from Leica NJ came back broken in a different way.  After seven months. 

This was pretty much my experience with the 28mm Summicron Asph II, that I sent to Wetzlar for optical adjustment. The lens came back with wonky field curvature that was quite dramatic at f/4. So, I sent the lens back for yet another optical adjustment, and it came back a bit worse than it originally was... The idea that Leica service is expensive, but precise and meticulously done, was obviously not the case in my experience. The lens elements looked perfectly clean and clear, though, but the lens was still optically underperforming.

Edited by LarsHP

8 hours ago, lct said:

It is true that separate hoods can be cumbersome and that built-in ones are more or less vestigial nowadays but they protect the front element and a filter sans hood means no protection vs flare at all. It is not a problem for the Real Leica Man who never shoot into the light though obviously :D.

A built-in hood doesn't preclude the use of an add-on, I try to find a perfect fit, one that vignettes the corners only.  If it wasn't for corners many of my lenses would have a better reputation and sell for more.  The corners are the bane of lenses.  

2 hours ago, darylgo said:

A built-in hood doesn't preclude the use of an add-on, I try to find a perfect fit, one that vignettes the corners only.  If it wasn't for corners many of my lenses would have a better reputation and sell for more.  The corners are the bane of lenses.  

One reason some like (and some don’t like) the M8/M8.2, which uses only the lens’ ‘sweet spot’ and avoids unwanted (or desired) edge effects.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1