Leica APO 50 f/2 - fragile lens shade pin broke again

eleven24

Next time send it to DAG. Easy repair, and he will check everything else for reasonable cost.  He fixed the sticky focus on my 50 Summilux ASPH for $90, including shipping, after Leica told me that it couldn't be fixed. 

Jeff

• Like 2

Well, it is good to have learned about this particular weakness. Whenever I start to become tempted to add an APO Summicron-M 50mm ASPH, such information assists my efforts to resist temptation. The 50 APO is not my “holy grail,” among Leica lenses, anyway, so saving money is not the sole motivation. 

1 minute ago, RexGig0 said:

Well, it is good to have learned about this particular weakness. Whenever I start to become tempted to add an APO Summicron-M 50mm ASPH, such information assists my efforts to resist temptation. The 50 APO is not my “holy grail,” among Leica lenses, anyway, so saving money is not the sole motivation. 

I’ve certainly not babied by 50 APO and I’ve never had a problem with the hood FWIW.

Erik

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RexGig0 said:

Well, you could rent (or demo) it to actually see if it suits…

Jeff

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/4/2022 at 7:27 PM, eleven24 said:

Adjusting washer $20.00

I am changing my profession.
Going pro with FULL TIME ADJUSTMENT WASHER DISTRIBUTION & ADJUSTING. A mere $20 per washer. Upon client request, I can adjust the adjusting washer, that will be $20 extra. Prices before tax & tip.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Well, you could rent (or demo) it to actually see if it suits…

Jeff

Well, my Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, the lens that lured me to add the Leica M system, certainly suits. 😉 Adding an APO 50mm would be, well, perhaps a bit ostentatious, which is why I resist…

Edited by RexGig0

7 minutes ago, RexGig0 said:

Well, my Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, the lens that lured me to add the Leica M system, certainly suits. 😉 Adding an APO 50mm would be, well, perhaps a bit ostentatious, which is why I resist…

You don't need both. Once I acquired the 50mm APO I sold my 50mm Summilux as I wasn't using it.

Erik

3 minutes ago, RexGig0 said:

The suggestion was regarding the APO Summicron, not the Summilux. My demo was to consider differences between the two tools, neither of which I would reject on the basis of being ‘ostentatious’. Nobody I know is impressed by my having a lens, nor would they know the difference.  If the APO had better suited my needs, I would have sold the Summilux.  But I preferred the Summilux, irrespective of cost, which was not a determining factor. 

Jeff

• Like 1

Just now, Jeff S said:

The suggestion was regarding the APO Summicron, not the Summilux. My demo was to consider differences between the two tools, neither of which I would reject on the basis of being ‘ostentatious’. Nobody I know is impressed by my having a lens, nor would they know the difference.  If the APO had better suited my needs, I would have sold the Summilux.  But I preferred the Summilux, irrespective of cost, which was not a determining factor. 

Jeff

Thanks for the clarification.

I would also add that the 50mm APO is mostly "glued" to my M10M as that camera certainly benefits from the higher resolving power of that lens. My M10D is usually equipped with the 35mm Summilux pre-FLE.

Erik

1 minute ago, egrossman said:

Thanks for the clarification.

I would also add that the 50mm APO is mostly "glued" to my M10M as that camera certainly benefits from the higher resolving power of that lens. My M10D is usually equipped with the 35mm Summilux pre-FLE.

Erik

I currently enjoy using the 50 Summilux ASPH on my M10 Monochrom, as well as on my M9 Monochrom and M10-R. As I did on previous digital and film Ms.  Never felt a resolution deficit in my modestly sized prints. Different strokes…

Jeff

• Like 1

Been using my Summicron 50/2 apo (right) since 2015. Looks sturdy and its built-in hood doesn't wobble at all. The CV 50/2 apo has no built-in hood and is too bulky for my taste so as mush as i like my compact CV lenses i would not be tempted by it. Matter of tastes anyway but my favorite 50/2's aside from the apo are the Summicron v4 (left) and v5 (centre).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Déjà vu, are you really a new member? 
Anyway i can only repeat that hoods are useful to protect the front element of lenses and to make some shade as there is no such thing as lenses with zero flare, at least i have never seen that. And again (sorry if you are a new member) an f/1.4 ens is not the same thing as an f/2 lens. To compare apples to apples i.e. 50/2 lenses:

M 50/2 v4
Length: 42mm
Diameter: 52mm
Filters: 39mm

M 50/2 v5
Length: 43.5mm
Diameter: 53mm

M 50/2 apo
Length: 47mm
Diameter: 53mm

CV 50/2 apo
Length: 53mm
Diameter: 55.6mm
Filters: 49mm

2 hours ago, hopscotch said:

This is the last thing I want to find inside a $9,000 lens. Maybe I should reconsider buying Leica lenses? 

Can’t believe you didn’t get rid of it the first time you saw plastic. You certainly are a lot more patient than me. 

This one is $1,000, and it feels like it’s made from the earth’s core. No plastic anywhere. Unbreakable. And for all practical purposes, same IQ. And better flare resistance so no hood needed. It has 0 flare. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It is a plastic nib, maybe 2mm x 2mm in size that sits in the channel the lens shade slides up and down on. The Leica 50APO is the best lens I've ever owned, so I just repaired the lens shade and moved on. 

26 minutes ago, hopscotch said:

On the M10R, in terms only of IQ, would you pick the VL APO or the Cron V4 and why?

Would you mind to answer my question in the first place? Are you really a new member? Just asking in case you would have been banned from this forum previously. Last time it happened to me i believed in good faith of a new member pretending he was only 14 years old but he was banned before i had the time to demonstrate my outstanding pedagogical skills :D.

Edited by lct
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, hopscotch said:

Yea. That just shouldn’t be anywhere in a $9,000 lens 

That just would’ve driven me up the wall if a plastic thing falls off my $9,000 lens and I have to fix it myself. 😅

There should be 0 weaknesses in this lens. It should be titanium ball bearings sliding that thing up and down like butter for what they’re charging for it. 

Title of the thread 

fragile lens shade pin broke again

This to me is unacceptable. The words “plastic” “fragile” and “broke again” shouldn’t be in the same sentence with a $9,000 lens. 

Those words will never be part of a conversation about the Apo-Lanthar 50f2, and it’s only $1,000. 

Dude, you need to chill.  You're more worked up than I am over my lens.  Cool, you like the Voightlander.  That's great.  I'm sure it's a terrific lens.  I love my Leica 50APO & the images it creates.  Yes, the pin broke again on the lens shade and it was frustrating... but it's repaired now. 

There are more things to get worked up in life over more than a plastic pin on what is seen as one of the best lenses ever created. 

1 minute ago, hopscotch said:

I’m here to ask about apo vs summicron v4. 

and yes. For an extra $8,000 you get a lens that is 0.2” shorter and heavier with a plastic “fragile pin that broke again”… 

So in terms of IQ, not size, Apo-Lanthar or Cron v4…. And we are talking about M10R which shows details. 

Are they pretty much the same once you close them down? Anyone has any samples?

Are you really a new member? I will have to ignore your posts if you don't answer me sorry. Bottom line IQ and sharpness are not the same thing. Sharpness is objective, to some extent at least, while IQ is subjective. From IQ point of view, my 50/2 apo is not my favorite lens. Great for landscapes but too sharp (to me) for portraits so when i'm not sure what subject matter i will shoot i will rather bring a v4 or v5 with me. Otherwise as i said above i'm not interested in bulky 50/2 lenses so i cannot help about this lens in case you would need any help instead of disturbing this forum.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hopscotch said:

I know this lens was super highly regarded. Steve Huff was over the moon back when it came out years ago. He said it was just perfection. No lens was better. 

I miss Steve Huff and his regular Leica updates.  He's one of the major reasons I bought a Leica M many years back.