System Error / System Error (O.I.S)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is this the only unit where the digital crop doesn't stay to the selected value? I keep selecting 35mm and it either slips to 28mm or to 50mm by itself. I'm using a handgrip so the body is not bumping against anything.

Crop selection stays selected following switch off and on again.  

TIP OF THE DAY!

I have transferred my M9 Thumbs Plus to the Q.  It wasn't designed for the Q but I am finding it very effective. .   It covers the digital crop button but by applying pressure to the shaft of the Thumbs Plus, I have discovered that it flexes and applies sufficient pressure to the button beneath.    I don't get any unwanted switching of the crop size.  Having the thumbs plus fitted makes the Q body easier to hold steady and also blocks any accidental adjustment of the viewfinder diopter control.  

Edited by lucerne

Crop selection stays selected following switch off and on again.

TIP OF THE DAY!

I have transferred my M9 Thumbs Plus to the Q. It wasn't designed for the Q but I am finding it very effective. . It covers the digital crop button but by applying pressure to the shaft of the Thumbs Plus, I have discovered that it flexes and applies sufficient pressure to the button beneath. I don't get any unwanted switching of the crop size. Having the thumbs plus fitted makes the Q body easier to hold steady and also blocks any accidental adjustment of the viewfinder diopter control.

Bingo!

I am also using a thumbs-up from my Monochrom Classic but this is the culprit in my case

I took the thumbs up off and the selection stays on 35mm now

• Like 1

Bingo!

I am also using a thumbs-up from my Monochrom Classic but this is the culprit in my case

I took the thumbs up off and the selection stays on 35mm now

There are various models.  Mine has a rubber backing but won't activate the crop button unless it is deliberately pressed.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lucerne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica cameras do seem to have more issues than other cameras but the warranty and service is top notch, returning your camera is almost part of the experience of owning a Leica ;)

Speaking from personal experience - I can't comment about retuning my camera or any other Leica item I have. This was the first time.

Let's not pretend the products don't have problems, but, customer service has been exemplary in my case. I have read horror stories of what some others have been through and I do consider myself lucky.

Except for one incident around 5 years ago which did irritate the crap out of me and still does actually - On the 2nd day of a 2 week vacation, my M9 decided to keep sleeping. Wasn't funny and Leica bungled up the repair, which was quite expensive :/

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My fourth Q booted up after three Q cameras all started up with "System Errors".  As I said (above), I returned all three and found a vendor that had some that did not evidence this error.  The fourth time was the charm.  I am still afraid that my new camera, received on March 30th, will go into this mode at some point.  I think, that since all of the error messages of late have to do with a batch of cameras coming off the line.  I did speak to Leica USA about it and offered to send pictures of me starting my third camera, from charge up, new card, and power up, such as to dispel operator error.  I understand that is not a good message to get and the camera is at risk.

My Q has displayed that error exactly twice....  the very first time I turned it on and the very first time I turned it on after updating firmware.  As a retired software nerd that kind of error does not surprise me.   In any case I've ignored the error.  The camera is fine.

An email to me from Leica states that if the error reappears, it can be fatal.  This was Leica USA speaking. I fully recognize that anyone who owns this camera can make their own decision concerning the this error and steps they take.  I have invested a fair amount in the purchase and all that I ask is that it work correctly.  When I am told by the company that this is not a good thing, it motivates me to ask for a replacement.  I hope my new camera works as it should. Thanks.

Edited by falcon468

"fatal"?  That sounds a bit.....unfortunate...  I have visions of my Q slowly tightening up the neck strap and strangling itself (and / or me).

I received my Q earlier this week.  Charged the battery fully, put both the battery and a new 16GB card in, fired it up and got a system error message.  I powered down, re-seated the memory card, fired it back up, and haven't given it a second thought since until I came across this thread. 

Other than emails from Leica warning of dire consequences, are there any examples of cameras that have died that seem to be correlated with a system error message on first power up?

Everybody has to do what they are most comfortable with.  For me, that's waiting to see if and how often it happens again.  It's hard to imagine that it's anything more sinister than some self-cal routine that fails on startup...some capacitor leaks after periods of disuse, causing a check to fail, or whatnot. 

• Like 2

Got the Q in Jule 2015 and never saw this error or had any other issues. And it's in heavy usage...

- TK!

Just happened again. This time when visiting a Leica shop... Twice in a few weeks time for a new camera begs for a remedy. Let's see what the Leica customer service has to say on the matter.

• Like 1

Brand new Q, battery fully charged. First thing I get when starting it up is "system error"... Switched off the camera and then it worked... Is this normal?

Had the same thing after unboxing. Never re-appeared again. Over time, I had two Leicas exchanged and one Sensor swapped due to some issues, That is three out of seven. The service I experienced in these cases was very good. Trouble always happened in the beginning. Typical for electronic devices, I was told.

• 1 year later...